Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
squeak (Read 98 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
squeak
04/26/14 at 17:51:50

Hi all, could anyone help with a minor niggle I've got. When I am driving in the wet I seem to have an annoying squeak from the bike which stops when I throttle down - for traffic lights etc. It sounds like something is rubbing i.e. not a continuous squeak but a fast squeak squeak squeak.Its not the belt and I'm pretty sure its not the front brake because why would it stop when coming off the power ?cheers all

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: squeak
Reply #1 - 04/26/14 at 18:05:22

How do you know it's not the belt?...

I'm gonna' say,.. it's the belt...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 04/26/14 at 20:49:54

I'm going with the belt too. Mine squeaks like crazy when wet.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #3 - 04/26/14 at 23:05:50

Mine does the same thing, if it is the belt, whats the fix? Rear wheel alignment?

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #4 - 04/27/14 at 00:53:40

I just thought if its the belt then why stop when no power (thinks aloud - is it cos there's no tension ?) and how to stop it ? only ride in the dry Smiley OK then I'll go with belt I can handle a bit of a squeak ,cheers everyone

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/27/14 at 01:13:10

Steddy, the belt is notorious for makin noise when wet,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #6 - 04/27/14 at 07:59:33

Cheers JOG , in one way I'm glad its nothing more serious but living in the UK means I'm going to have to get used to a lot of squeaking  Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 04/27/14 at 08:59:44

Check the belt cover for loose hardware... mine sounded like a room full of angry crickets yesterday. It was the upper belt cover rubbing on the front pulley cover. Even the paved roads here are like riding on a bulldozer trail. The hardware had loosened off enough to allow the parts to wiggle and hit each other. Tightened the bolts, checked belt tension (loose and staying that way), watched the rear pulley wobble all over hell's back acre...  Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/27/14 at 09:13:40

Steddy, getting the tension right on th belt helps some, and there are some things to put on it that help some. I never 100% "won it", but I did get it down a lot. I used Gulf canning wax, available at the grocery store. The down side is it slings off & either 100% of it hits the rim or somehow it multiplies & MORE than 100% gets on the rim,, ehh,, snot that bad. It wasnt bad enough to make me stop.

Belt adjust
1st gear, roll back, put all the slack in the bottom of the belt
or, in neutral;tension on the bottom should bring the slack down, maybe try both ways, see if its different,
The goal
Twist the belt 90° 1/2 way between front & rear pulleys.
If a secretary cant use fingers, not a fist & fighting, to make the 90° twist, try loosening it a bit,,
If youre blessed with the Official Sue Zookee belt tensioner tool, sell it for junk,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 04/27/14 at 09:28:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/27/14 at 09:13:40:
If youre blessed with the Official Sue Zookee belt tensioner tool, sell it for junk,,

Makes a good fishing weight for the pier or the surf... mine ended up in Colorado at BJ and Jo's place. Along with a higher rise backrest.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/27/14 at 10:08:52

Yep, easy to tie onto. Would make a good surf fishing weight. A guy could sling the hook Waaaay on out there.

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #11 - 04/27/14 at 11:04:43

Now I come to think  ( not a good idea usually ) I did tighten up the belt a touch - obviously just enough to make it squeak, I'll loosen it a bit and see if that sorts it out,cheers all

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #12 - 04/27/14 at 11:47:00

Probably want to lift the back wheel off the ground, align the wheel, straighten the belt, spin the wheel forward and backwards, and if everything stays straight tighten it all up.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #13 - 04/27/14 at 11:51:56

the solution is to wear earplugs

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com