Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installed Raptor, it's like a new bike! :) (Read 185 times)
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Installed Raptor, it's like a new bike! :)
04/26/14 at 07:20:39

Just installed the Raptor on my 96, took about a half hour. (Hint - run it out of gas so you are on reserve, much less fuel to transfer!)

No, I didn't test my stock one. It is almost 20 years old and a known issue...I choose to replace it with a known working part for $25. Plus, I wanted to take that variable out of the equation before I changed the filter, added the dyna muffler and messed with the jetting.

Took the bike out for a quick spin, and darn, she pulls a lot harder! Not 'this is a whole new bike' harder, but definitely enough to post and say....GO INSTALL A RAPTOR! Smiley

Thanks to everyone who documented the install, made it very easy.

IP Logged
Duckman24
YaBB Newbies

Life's better on 2
wheels!

Ottawa, Canada
Re: Installed Raptor, it's like a new bike! :)
Reply #1 - 04/26/14 at 15:46:12

I just replaced mine, as well. Also replaced muffler with a Dyna and the two items made a big difference. Just got the bike last fall and previous owner did the carb work already. Being very much a newbie I was a little nervous but sure glad I did it! Raptor and Dyna are great mods!  Wink

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #2 - 04/26/14 at 16:26:46

Yup, run the gas out. It took me longer to drain the tank than to install the Raptor.

IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/27/14 at 05:19:55

Dyna and K&N are the next steps, excited to hopefully get a nicer sound out of my angry sewing machine!

I was shocked at how long it took for the gas to drain out of just the reserve. I can not imagine draining the whole tank that way. So much more enjoyable to ride her until empty. (hmm, that sure can be taken two ways...)

Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/27/14 at 10:23:12

I bought the K&N, didnt see any benefit, just a big cost, IF ya do it, do keep the paper filter handy so you can ride while the K&N is drying,
Also, the slip in K&N didnt want to seal off in the air box & I was bleeding air past the filter. I worked inside the airbox & used epoxy & built it up in the places it wasnt sealing off well..Mite not happen to you, I dunno,,
I wanna say it was Old Feller who did a home built filter on a stock paper filter frame. You could do that & use some K&N oil on it,, save a bundle, learn just how much youd gain from a lower restriction filter, then you could actually decide if the difference in filter made a performance difference. If youre doing it to save $$ on filters, remember, a paper filter will blow out quite a few times before ya need to spend $$. If ya dont have a compressor, I dont know how ya live,, even if I had no tools Id want a compressor,,
People spend time studying exhausts, but intakes? People dont think much about that, even tho getting air into an engine is harder than getting it out. An engine shoves it out, but it has to draw it in,
Ever had a skinny straw in a malt? Not good, izzit?
What I read was, the volume of the intake between filter & carb can make it easier. OUr low revving fat single creates very definite pulses of flow in the intake. Having at least 650 CC's between the filter & carb lets the engine inhale w/o having to do it all "sucking thru" the filter. Its gonna create a low pressure area, fer sher, but the less volume between carb & filter means more of each intake pulse must be dragged thru the restriction of the filter,
Thats not the whole of it, spend some time online,, AND, its been a few years since I read up opn it, so, I mita got some of that wr, wr, wr.., I may be somewhat incorrect..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paulchristi
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

My other bike is a
surfboard

Tucson, Arizona
Reply #5 - 04/28/14 at 07:36:52

Same experience here....put the Raptor in and now wonder why I didn't do it earlier!  There are probably thousands of recommendations on this BBS to do the mod; I waited until my bike was not running well.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/28/14 at 08:33:03

Just to clarify, for any noobs out there...

A Raptor is not a performance mod...
If your bike had a petcock problem,(which does happen very often with the stock pet).. either starving the engine or dumping fuel and flooding it,.. installing a Raptor will fix that and restore performance...(as would happen with installing any functioning petcock)...
...but, you won't see a performance gain on a good running bike with a good functioning stock petcock...
The reason for choosing a Raptor?,.. it is a good quality, low cost, manual petcock, that fits perfectly... and you won't have any leaking or starving problems with it...it will also allow easy tank removal without scraping up your frame...

The folks here, that have seen performance gains, had malfunctioning stock petcocks...
Glad it worked well for you all... Wink...
Enjoy... Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 04/28/14 at 13:32:10

As Routy would say, "It's all in your imagination ...."

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/28/14 at 19:30:41

I am the original poster, and I support this message.

Thanks for adding that in, I was excited about the improvements and didn't think about that part of it.

Your Milage May Vary! Smiley

Serowbot wrote on 04/28/14 at 08:33:03:
Just to clarify, for any noobs out there...

A Raptor is not a performance mod...
If your bike had a petcock problem,(which does happen very often with the stock pet).. either starving the engine or dumping fuel and flooding it,.. installing a Raptor will fix that and restore performance...(as would happen with installing any functioning petcock)...
...but, you won't see a performance gain on a good running bike with a good functioning stock petcock...
The reason for choosing a Raptor?,.. it is a good quality, low cost, manual petcock, that fits perfectly... and you won't have any leaking or starving problems with it...it will also allow easy tank removal without scraping up your frame...

The folks here, that have seen performance gains, had malfunctioning stock petcocks...
Glad it worked well for you all... Wink...
Enjoy... Smiley...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 04/28/14 at 22:13:56

Excellent, Fish...
Real glad yer' Savage is rockin' again... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 03:20:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Installed Raptor, it's like a new bike! :)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.