Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Puzzled by jetting..enlighten me? (Read 76 times)
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Puzzled by jetting..enlighten me?
04/26/14 at 07:01:51

As my bike started to misbehave in the carb dept (fuel delivery issues), I decided it´s time for an overhaul. Time for a Raptor, time for that other muffler that came in a box with the bike, (and time for some forward controls and some new bars, covered elsewhere in the forum).

Now..this bike has had a BSM muffler previously (the one in the box). It now has the stock exhaust, and behaves nicely with it. Now, I was thinking: If I swap the muffler, I will likely need to re-jet the carb. So I look at the jets and find a 47,5 (machine-stamped into the brass) and the other jet has some marking  (hand-engraved) that says 180.

A)
Puzzled. With a 180 jet, the bike should have run way past rich with the stock muffler, wouldn´t it? Anyway..looks like I have a big enough jet to cater for the slashcut BSM muffler? I mostly ride at (or near) sea level..

B)
Needs to be said, that the bike also has a conical and oblong air filter. No markings, but kindof red weave under the netting. And...in the carb inlet, there is an thin divider that looks kinda homegrown.

Is that divider something that might have come with the air filter? Should I keep it? What good does it do, if any? It does not reach all the way into the slider, it stops about 3mm further out.

Ideas?

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: Puzzled by jetting..enlighten me?
Reply #1 - 04/26/14 at 07:56:44

180 jet seems real big, guys with the old savages have a stock 155 jet and say its rich.
I myself have a pretty open MAC exhaust and the 152.5 main seems to be good.
The stock pilot on my 2002 is a 52.5 so I dont know about the 47.5 but they do have those stock in the older models...

It's harder to tune the bike with a conical filter so I myself am happy with the stock box (keeps the filter out of the elements and keeps it clean cause its in a box)

That divider inside the carb does look home made, its weird (I wonder if it does anything) I'd take it out...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/26/14 at 08:46:51

You bought yer'self a Frankenstein bike... Undecided...

I'd take that out of there... buy some new jets... start with a 152.5#/50#... combo, and go from there...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/26/14 at 10:33:57

That divider is supposed to smooth out the air flow at partial throttle settings.  It keeps the flow of air coming from the bottom half of the slide area until the slide goes up far enough to pass the divider.  Without the divider air from the top of the air passage moves vertically down the slide and then intercepts the air flowing horizontally into the air inlet - and this causes turbulence.  Not sure how helpful they really are...but that is the theory behind it.

« Last Edit: 04/26/14 at 16:43:27 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #4 - 04/26/14 at 10:56:12

yes, Dave, I could have guessed along those lines. In any case, it sounds like that divider is more of a hi-performance thing, and I ´m not the dragracer wannabe, so I´ll go back to the stock airbox. I have it, and why kill a winning concept? It´s obvious that the Savage gets enough air with the stock design. Ok...that air filter lets the carb bark nicely on acceleration, but....no. Away it goes.

I´ll fix myself a set of jets as per your recommendations. That 180 jet is probably the only one that the shop had in store that was bigger than stock. I mean...why 180....jees. Raptor ordered, jets are available locally, things looking good. Have a nice weekend, all round!

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/26/14 at 11:04:37

Youll be doing yourself a favor by going back to the stock air box. It will make tuning simpler & the stock filter works out great. IF you decide you want to save a dollar, one of the guys here built a filter up on the frame of the old filter. I wanna say it was Old Feller, but its been a few years & I wouldnt bet on my memory there,
If your filter shows a redish hue you may have a K&N & theyre expensive,,You mite be able to sell it to someone who IS a drag racer wannabe..Go look at the K&N site & see if ya see what you have..
Did the seller give you a can of air cleaner oil & spray bottle of cleaner?
K&N requires maintenance, which includes drying time, which means no riding for a few hours,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #6 - 04/26/14 at 12:22:44

Justin, what I have may well be a K&N, judging by their site. No cans or sprays or anyting came with it. Luckily, I have the stock filter box/assembly here, filter and all, it came with all mounting screws and is complete as far as I can see. I will definitely go back to stock in the air cleaner dept. The muffler side is a different story, though Smiley

I´ll rip the K&N out tomorrow, see if anyone wants it.

(Edit: Yep, it´s a K&N. Marked F021B4, which gives no results on their site. Ah well Smiley But: the connecting tube belongs to the original air filter box, so I will need to keep that one.)

Edit II: it´s one of these:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=RC-1820&pkid=1277993&rw=1

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:38:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Puzzled by jetting..enlighten me?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.