Send Topic Print
Long rides and rain (Read 149 times)
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long rides and rain
04/26/14 at 03:55:07

I may be taking a long ride this summer of about 6 days.  I’m concerned about running into wet weather along the way that will mess up the schedule.  For those of you with experience on long trips, do you just push on and ride even if it’s raining, or do you get off the road?  I’m not made of sugar and not afraid of getting wet, but I am worried that riding in the rain for several hours may be too tiring, or even unsafe on the highways.  Also, is it unwise to take on a long ride without a windshield? As yet I haven’t missed having a windshield, but I’m thinking that on a long ride that it might become tiring not to have one. Thanks for any advice.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Long rides and rain
Reply #1 - 04/26/14 at 07:47:58

Will you be riding in an area noted for wet weather, or is this just a precaution?
If you will be in a wet zone, you need to do a few things or you will be miserable.
First, you need a screen, period, even if dry, your body/head will take a pounding.
You need a "mud flap" on the front wheel. It throws a bunch of water into you legs and feet.
You need a highly rated rain traction tire(s).
You need good rain gear, not cheap plastic. You need one that breathes or you will be as wet from the sweating.
Good gloves too, I use ones similar to material the skin divers wear.
And water replant to put on your face mask/helmet.
If you are not use to riding in the rain, then don't ride at night, vision is greatly hampered, you need to look through the rain, not at it, takes practice.
A mat you can fashion to your seat. You are looking for drainage under your butt, one you can remove. Has to be firm enough to not mat down, but not too firm it pokes your dookie. 
SLOW down and whatever you do, don't over react, keep your grips light, or you will have to pry your hands off when you stop  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 04/26/14 at 08:34:37

Having lived most of my life on the soggy side of WA state... If you even think you may need/want a windshield, get one. Pretty much essential for longer highway rides at any rate. Slipstreamer, National Cycle, Rifle or Memphis Shades brand. Anything else is cut rate crap with thin plastic and very light duty hardware. That goes double for the OEM fixed angle windshield. You want the shield as close to vertical as possible for maximum air deflection. Aiming it at your face, like the OEM version, contributes to buffeting and exhaustion from fighting said buffeting.

Raingear: jacket, pants, glove covers and boot covers. In order of worth spending money on: Tour Master, Harley Davidson, Triumph, BMW. The BMW gear has a better quality of Gortex, a better quality/weight of Cordura, higher quality thread and tighter stitched seams, better quality reflective material and more of it. If you live where it tends to be wet, you buy the best you can afford. If the gear is just for a "might get rained on" road trip, Tour Master will work, just watch the exhaust pipe or you will be a melted mess.

Make sure your helmet has good ventilation. And wear something between it and your head. Hit the "ethnic hair care" shop and get a few of the nylon hair covers with a male on the package. Even police motor officers use them under their lid. Helps minimize helmet "hot spots".

Get good boots. I use Chippewa motor officer boots, steel toe. You can use regular 8" (minimum) rise, over the ankle lace on if you prefer, but I still suggest steel toed.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 04/26/14 at 08:49:10

As you know bub, I get all the rain you left behind  Grin
This year we set a record for amount too, so now I can speak with higher authority than you!!!!!
I use First Gear, love it, my winter thermal one piece suit is three years old and still dry as the desert Bot rides in.....only bummer is it has to be cold to wear, wish they had a lighter spring suit. I wear the two piece "splash line" spring/summer. Very well made, light, comfortable, dry.

If I was to recommend long rides only, I would say go with a one piece unit. I often wear just the jacket as a wind breaker tho, so I got the two piece'r

PS: gonna get into the 70's this week, everything is a bloom, including my allergies  Angry  But I'll take it. The sun breaking over the Cascades on my way too work often pull me greatly to just keep heading east, just beautiful, but you already know that....

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/26/14 at 09:55:22

Stop? Because of Rain? Ohh, perish the thot.. Unless its comin down so hard visibility is compromised & you become invisible to drivers, then dont just pull over, get OFF the road & away & Dont leave lites on. You dont want some 1/2 blind driver seeing lites & deciding Thats where the road is..
Ive stopped & taken plastic bags from a store to wrap my boots.. It helped, some, I think,, but having real rain gear would have been great.

Once I got caught completely unprepared in a hard summer rain. I was so wet, the bike was so wet, that when I put feet down at a red lite I could feel the plug fire..I was surprised it kept running,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 04/26/14 at 12:29:33

Be careful overtaking trucks, because of the amount of spray they throw up. Be aware of trucks coming in the other direction for the same reason. Your visibility drops a lot in this situation and get high visibility gear, whether it's "cool" or not.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 04/26/14 at 15:06:54

Yeah, what everyone else said and if you want you stuff to stay dry you can get a dry bag.  They work very well.  If your interested take a look at this site.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id...

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/26/14 at 18:20:51

Retired,
If you ride far enough, the rain will find you. +1 on a windscreen and find some rain gear in hi-viz yellow that you can get into on the side of the road without anyplace to sit. Getting the pants over my size 13 boot shod feet is my biggest issue.

Just like a car, slow down, smooth on the throttle and brake and leave extra room. The traction is really not that bad. Actually enjoy riding in the rain. It can be very relaxing in light traffic.

Good hunting and keep us posted.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 04/26/14 at 21:24:42

Another cheap thing is to buy Snap Lock bags at the supermarket and put your clothes in those. They should stay dry even in the worst weather and even if water penetrates your outer bag or box.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #9 - 04/26/14 at 22:29:26

Another GREAT brand to look at is Olympia.  The jacket I bought came with 2 liners - insulated cold and wet weather.  This thing is great for all weather, even for the Texas summers.  Not to mention a lot of their gear is hi vis, too.

I think this is the newer version of the jacket I bought.  It only has the rain liner, now.  This is actually a similar style of jacket to the older one I bought.  http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/mens-switchback-mesh-tech-jacket/

THIS is the newer version of the jacket I bought.  The new style has a lot more hi-vis material.  http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/mens-airglide-4-mesh-tech-jacket/

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/27/14 at 04:29:03

Thanks so much everyone for the great advice. This is very helpful.  Greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 04/28/14 at 08:33:38

& RE Member, Drivers dont SEE what they arent looking for,,& inclement weather isnt when they expect to see a bike.. weave in your lane, flash Hi & lo approaching drivers setting up for a left turn, stay away from the curb & positioned out near the center line, except for when youre weaving. Light Bright colors, stay visible.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 04/28/14 at 10:33:08

I do change position in my lane very frequently dry or wet.... it keeps folks looking at you.

If a police officer stops you for weaving in your lane or "deviating" he/she will ask if you have been drinking or taking drugs. Please reply courteously and say, I am staying visable by moving with in the lane boundries to keep other drivers aware I am still here. Trust me, it will work (unless your breath smells like MJ or Jack).

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 05/06/14 at 06:23:47

Hello Retired, this is Maurizio from Rome, Italy.

Have I ever ridden in the rain ? YUP !

Did I survive ? NOPE !

Did I just plod on ? YUP !

You won't believe the feeling of accomplishment as you actually ride OUT of the rain into dry weather... and if you're riding towards the SUN... oooh, boy !  Cool

Here's my personal experience :

1. Windshield: get one that reaches up to your collarbone/chin; you want to look over it, not through it; water will run away from the helmet visor but NOT off the windshield; you can see quite well through a wet visor, but NOT through a dirty windshield.

2. Helmet: get one with a pulldown sunscreen (polarized lens for riding into the sun) they sometimes help whemn riding in the rain; else, polarized lenses/glasses, tinted as light as possible, will help you see through mist and through those ugly reflections on wet tarmac; make sure the ventilation air scoops are on the side, not on top, else if you leave them open rain will seep in and drip dosn your nose... trust me, I know...  Lips Sealed  Wink

3. Gloves: get warm waterproof gloves, it gets very cold in the rain... else, ride with thin tight leather gloves and carry a number of pairs of rubber dishwashing gloves, orange or yellow are best, and wear them over your gloves  Wink

4. Hand guards! They protect you from unwanted spray, but also from unwanted insects & bugs... ever ridden into a beetle ? Them things are hard as rocks!

5. Boots: either you find waterproof leather boots, or just wear the boots of your choice, and have one (or two) pairs of oversize TOTES with you...

6. Rainproof pants: these come in two versions: wear'em over your jeans, more often than not with an elastic waist; they're OK on short runs.
OR
"Salopettes"/overalls, with the rear part covering your lower back actually taller than the front; that's to ensure your lower back doesn't get wet, and are a zillion times better than the typical design with a pocket on your belly. They protect you from backaches and bad backs in the long run, you see rain in the morning, wear these instead of jeans, you're happy all day.

7. Rain proof jacket: again, either you have a leather jacket plus a "throwover", or a serious rainproof riding jacket. Depends on the climate.

8. Seat cover: rain WILL puddle in any seat, imagine in the Savage seat ! Cut a piece of rubber doormat off this:

and attach it to the seat or frame with a few hooks... try it !

9. RAIN TIRES ! Modern superslicks are great as long as it's dry, but if you do most of your riding in rainy areas, Michelin Pilot Road 2, 3, 4 or Dunlop's excellent 616

DUNLOP D616 front & rear, these are directional tires. DUNLOP D607 DUNLOP Sportmax Mutant

Also check out MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 2, PILOT ROAD 3, PILOT ROAD 4

CONTINENTAL RACE ATTACK RAIN

Hope this helps...

... and don't forget hot coffee !!!  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #14 - 05/06/14 at 14:15:18

If you still have the stock IRC tyres and can afford to dump them, do so.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:27:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Long rides and rain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.