Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
two carb questions for a first time cleaning (Read 119 times)
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
two carb questions for a first time cleaning
04/23/14 at 13:58:55

When pulling the carb from the bike. Does the fuel need to be drained? Or can the petcock be turned into a different position so fuel will not flow?

Also, where the float sits is there a gasket that must be replaced? Gone over the process multiple times in the tech section but it doesn't say. If there is a gasket would rtv be a viable option instead of a stock gasket?

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: two carb questions for a first time cleaning
Reply #1 - 04/23/14 at 14:10:41

If you have the original vacuum petcock...the fuel wil not flow if the engine is not running and creating a vacuum.  Just don't have it turned to PRIME......just have it in the regular RUN or ON position.

There is a gasket between the carb body and float bowl, and most of the time they seperate fine and you won't need to order anything.  The gasket should not be left out.  RTV is not fuel proof, and should nto be used where it is in contact with liquid fuel.  (If you doubt this....take a small container and drill a small hole in the side near the bottom, then put RTV on the hole to seal it.  Then let it cure overnight, add some fuel....and wait for the leak to appear in a day or so).  While you have the carb apart take the screws down to your neighborhood hardware store and get allen head screws to replace the soft phillips head screws that are in it.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #2 - 04/23/14 at 14:15:17

Thanks Dave! Bought an impact driver just in case they don't come off the first time. Still will be changing those to Allen screws though. They call them cap screws sometimes correct?

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/23/14 at 14:57:04

It's an o-ring type gasket,.. so you can reuse it...
Mine's been off and one a dozen times and always reused... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 04/23/14 at 16:15:38

YoungSavage wrote on 04/23/14 at 14:15:17:
Thanks Dave! Bought an impact driver just in case they don't come off the first time. Still will be changing those to Allen screws though. They call them cap screws sometimes correct?

Watch out with that impact driver. I got all my top screws off the carb but one and used an impact driver on it and broke the corner off the carb. (I was able to fix it with JB Weld, it's ugly but it works). Be sure  you put it in a vise and brace it good if you need to use the impact. If you have access to an impact cordless screw gun I'd use that. Be sure you have a new bit in whatever you are using, those dang screws are SOFT.

IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #5 - 04/24/14 at 11:34:58

New development in the cleaning process.  The person before me cleaned the carb but stripped a lot of the pilot jet surface in the bottom of the carb. Would using a small amount of wd-40 or similar help to free it up and replace it? Or should that not be used on the carb interior?

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 04/24/14 at 11:49:29

Do you have an extractor? I had that same issue myself. I used the cheap extractor I got from the Canadian equivalent of harbour freight.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/24/14 at 12:20:03

If edges of the screwdriver slot have been messed up but the metal is still there sometimes a small pin punch can be used to push stuff back into place, then if you can support the carb body sufficiently & get a hand held impact on it you have a great chance of getting it out. WD isnt good stuff IMO,, You want a good penetrating oil? Acetone & tranny fluid @ 50/50 mix. I have grease, oil, Kroil, the above mix, all kinds of lubricants, but in the years Ive had this shop Ive never had any WD40.. If I have water in my distributor cap Id use some.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/24/14 at 12:23:02

YoungSavage wrote on 04/24/14 at 11:34:58:
New development in the cleaning process.  The person before me cleaned the carb but stripped a lot of the pilot jet surface in the bottom of the carb. Would using a small amount of wd-40 or similar help to free it up and replace it? Or should that not be used on the carb interior?

a little atf and acetone or pen oil will work better than wd40. you might use a cutter to deepen the slot a bit, but I would not drill it out.  too many have screwed up and destroyed their carb to ever recommend this.

WWW   IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #9 - 04/24/14 at 13:21:01

Solid! Thanks everyone.  Will try that this weekend when I pull it out again. Should probably get a new jet set though.  Grin  Since it is am 88 should I get am entire set of jets?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/25/14 at 00:58:25

YOu can get a real good guess outta some of these tuners here..
Look up your elevation above sea level, post that. Is the exhaust stock? If not, whatchya got? Air filter stock?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #11 - 04/25/14 at 05:40:52

just want to add:
be very careful, all carb screws were very tight on my '09 and pot-metal breaks real easy

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 04/25/14 at 06:03:54

YoungSavage wrote on 04/24/14 at 11:34:58:

Some heat from an electric heat gun can help loosen those stuck jets in a carb body. Just take it easy, and get the plastic parts out first, if you can.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #13 - 04/25/14 at 08:48:23

And make sure if you use that heat gun there is NO residue in there ! LOL Cheesy

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 04/25/14 at 09:06:36

SUPPORT,, Snapping a tab off the top by smashing on an impact is easy to do.
A #2 Philips screwdriver is gonna ruin the screws. YOu can grind the tip off till the X lays in the slots fully or buy the proper fitting screwdriver, & I dont know the name,, sorry..
Wood blocks to back-up whatever youre bangin on,, a friend to hold the carb,, & antisieze on the bolts goin back together.
If ya have a vise, that could be helpful, Use rags or something to keep from scrapin up the carb,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:26:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › two carb questions for a first time cleaning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.