Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Meet "Sam"... updated pics... (Read 179 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Meet "Sam"... updated pics...
04/23/14 at 10:29:29

Okay, here he is. Still have a ways to go, but, current as of today...

And the "gruesome twosome"... hard to believe they are the exact same starting platform... both have the same handlebar and engine, rear wheel, front fender and 95% of the chassis...

Memphis Shades Big Shot gradient black windshield on modified 99 VN800A hardware. Police FL handlebar. Mirrors from Pine. Italian grips. Bell bicycle bag on the luggage rack. Factory case saver that needs to be painted since the chrome is peeling off in sheets... Still need to relocate the rear turn signals, add saddlebags, swap the taillight for a round or cat-eye version mounted under the fender. Fork sliders and side panel will be gloss black epoxy painted, and it will get a set of black fork gaiters to protect the tubes from road debris. I kind of like the stock exhaust sound, but, the big dork mobile muffler has to go...

Nothing fancy. It's just a bike. But you guys wanted pics so...

« Last Edit: 05/06/14 at 07:26:42 by WD »  

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Meet "Sam", the 2003 daily rider...
Reply #1 - 04/23/14 at 11:14:59

Sam, the daily rider, looks good. Congrats on the new bike.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 04/23/14 at 12:32:07

Looks good.
Did you hook up the tach... since you left the dash on there?

Are the handlebars wider? It needed that. I see you left risers on too.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 04/23/14 at 13:13:38

"Sam" looks good just the way he is, you can ride and enjoy him,  and sort out the custom as time permits.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 04/23/14 at 20:33:17

"Back on the road again" ... oh, I'm singing, in case you couldn't hear me.   Grin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 04/23/14 at 22:47:53

Pine wrote on 04/23/14 at 12:32:07:
Looks good.
Did you hook up the tach... since you left the dash on there?

Are the handlebars wider? It needed that. I see you left risers on too.  

Tach isn't hooked up yet, but likely will be.

Wider and lower. Those bars are off a Harley Davidson FL touring bike. It sits, rides, and handles like a 1958 DuoGlide. And leaks more than they did. I've got to find where the rear of the engine is puking oil (probably the speedometer drive). It's a Savage, they do that...  Roll Eyes

Risers are still there. Why not, they don't hurt anything.

Lisa ordered a new jacket, so getting her back riding as well. Have to sort out 1/2 mile of ultra fine wiring on her 800 Intruder, no power to the fuel pump, ignition switch, turn signals, horn... but plenty to the lights. Everything that doesn't work is tied into the safety switches (all bypassed, no change), neutral switch (can't find it) and black box...  Angry Plus it has 2 way beyond needing attention carburetors... $85/kit...  Angry Angry  And then they need to be synchronized...  Angry Angry Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 04/24/14 at 07:14:26

Was going to ask about the risers, what did you use? 3/4" sockets?
How much did it bring it up? I am looking at bringing mine bars up/back a little without changing the cables.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 04/24/14 at 07:50:36

old_rider wrote on 04/24/14 at 07:14:26:
How much did it bring it up? I am looking at bringing mine bars up/back a little without changing the cables.

If you look really close, you can just see the riser additions. They clamp into the stock riser set and are infinitely adjustable. Basically half dogbones, solid bar lower stubs. I think they are 1" tall, but, ask Pine, they were on the machine when he sold it to me. All I'm for certain on is that the big FL bar, in that riser combo, has everything maxed out.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #8 - 04/24/14 at 10:09:19

WD wrote on 04/24/14 at 07:50:36:

If you look really close, you can just see the riser additions. They clamp into the stock riser set and are infinitely adjustable. Basically half dogbones, solid bar lower stubs. I think they are 1" tall, but, ask Pine, they were on the machine when he sold it to me. All I'm for certain on is that the big FL bar, in that riser combo, has everything maxed out.

http://roxspeedfx.com/product/harley-bar-risers-barback-suzuki-yamaha-kawasak...

Nope.. Old-rider you picked the closer bike....
I bought those new last summer.  I kept them short ( 2") so I would not need to re-do cables at all.  Adding the wider bars.. I am sure put those cables at their extreme. But asthetically, and functionally, the bike is probably much better off with wider bars.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 04/24/14 at 10:43:06

Pine wrote on 04/24/14 at 10:09:19:

http://roxspeedfx.com/product/harley-bar-risers-barback-suzuki-yamaha-kawasak...

I bought those new last summer.  I kept them short ( 2") so I would not need to re-do cables at all.  Adding the wider bars.. I am sure put those cables at their extreme. But asthetically, and functionally, the bike is probably much better off with wider bars.

I do need to snip and extend the harnesses for the switches. The bars I got are already cut for internal wiring, really will clean up the big bar look.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 04/26/14 at 20:04:46

Pine wrote on 04/24/14 at 10:09:19:

Would the elkhorn bars need new cables with a 2" riser?  I would rather not have to deal with all the electrics and throttle ect.... change outs.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 04/27/14 at 08:22:59

If you have the Ironhead Sportster bars of the LS650P, you can go as high as 10" rise bars in the stock riser set. With no mods to the cables or wires other than some minor (very minor) rerouting. So a couple inch riser addition is no problem at all. Don't even need to reroute anything.

I'm only going to lengthen the switch harnesses so I can run them in the bar. I might have a longer black brake hose made for aesthetic reasons, but probably won't. This one is a rider, not a potential show pony.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 04/27/14 at 08:55:48

Its something I will be looking to do after this years riding...

I am going to thin the weight as much as possible and give my self a little bit more "lay back" riding position. Knowing my luck I will probably go for some apes but tilt them back toward me instead of forward and up.

I am going to make a long backrest the for rider position and no passenger seat (mama has her own bike).

Going to extend the pegs forward about 4" and fab up a highway foot rest and hope it doesn't get in the wheel radius for turning.... if I have to I will extend the forks and drop the back...a little....

I am one for prepairing a long time in advance...got the idea in my head and probably will never put it down on paper Cheesy

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 04/27/14 at 12:19:11

13.5 inch rise, stock cables, extended wires. It worked, barely...

Clutch cable ate the tank paint...

Photos were from before "Stinky" (Lisa's son) wrecked the bike, puncturing the tank and pretzeling the rear fender.

Post wreck with 15 inch rise apehangers, solo seat, dirt tracker tank and FL rear fender. My favorite combo, but, my 2008 wreck that shattered my shoulder makes apes no longer very feasible...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 05/06/14 at 07:23:18

And "Sam" pretty much finished up. Constantly have cars slowing when they see the bike coming, it does sort of look like an old English police motorcycle... The fact I wear a police pattern half helmet, jackboots with my pants tucked into them, and I'm white (I work in Memphis, apparently I'm a rarity) may contribute to that.  Grin

Ordering larger red rear turn signals today, dual filament so they double as running lights. I "might" still hang a small growler horn or siren on the engine guard, and add a set of small passing lamps after changing every bulb to l.e.d.s to balance the current draw.

I decided that the P in LS650P means Police, just like a KZ900/1000P or FLH-P/FXR-P. Going to see what having the real Sam's badge and dates of birth/death done up as side panel decals or a tank top decal  would run me.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:21:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Meet "Sam"... updated pics...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.