tool cover latch (Read 163 times)
br0wn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

tool cover latch
04/23/14 at 10:02:39

Hey all,

I just picked up my first bike, 2012 s40. I noticed the toolset cover was not latching. I can turn to lock it but the key doesn't come out.

I was curious if anyone had a picture of what the inside latch should look like. Currently the key only removes when the screws are horizontal at 9 and 3. I can turn the key so the latch goes vertical at 12 and 6 but I cannot take the key out. I rotated the lock thinking it would be a quick fix but can't seem to get it right.  Just wondering if anyone had a pic so I can see the orientation of the screws, the latch, and the grooves that get stopped by the raised plastic guard. Hope this makes sense.

2012 Suzuki Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: tool cover latch
Reply #1 - 04/23/14 at 10:28:25

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 04/23/14 at 10:28:55

http://www.bikebandit.com/2006-suzuki-boulevard-s40-ls650/o/m147605#sch509716

Take a look at #18 on the diagram. Make sure it's not installed upside down. If it is the lock will not work right no matter where you try to put the latch.

IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/23/14 at 12:11:07

Also, if anyone has tips for getting this and the latch aligned and working correctly after a battery change that would be great too!

Mine had a few extra washers in there, but I raced in to change the battery without taking note were things were...

Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/23/14 at 14:22:20

It has been a while since I had a stock battery box or tool kit cover.  But I do remember that when you are installing those parts that there is some interlock/overlap of battery box, battery cover and black metal battery retainer for them all to fit together properly.  If you have some of the overlap wrong - the clearances are not proper and the tool kit cover doesn't lock.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 04/23/14 at 16:07:09

The tool cover latches seem to be a pain in the arse. I have to really push on mine to get it to latch. Be sure your battery is seated all the way in, if you have any part of the battery sticking out the latch won't reach the catch.  I got a replacement battery from Batteries Plus with a vent tube that I had to cut a notch in my battery case so the battery would go all the way into the case so my tool box and latch would fit properly.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 04/24/14 at 07:46:51

Clearance might be the issue, I see you have door trim in place of the original thin black trim around the edges.
You might have to press in a little harder than normal because the silver trim you have on it is thicker.
It could be offsetting the lock mechanism also up/down.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
br0wn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/10/14 at 15:20:44

verslagen1 wrote on 04/23/14 at 10:28:25:

Is that the way it should look when its locked and your able to take the key out? Mine still only lets the key out at 3 and 9. I made sure the pins are even. Should the key be able to be removed when in the unlocked position?

2012 Suzuki Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:21:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tool cover latch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.