Body work sand bag (Read 73 times)
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Body work sand bag
04/23/14 at 08:53:29

So the front fender I picked up for the LS650 needed a little straightening out, started looking for body work/panel beater sandbags but at $40-$70 I figured I'd just make my own.  Headed to a local thrift shop and found a few old back packs with heavy suede bottoms, lined up where I was going to fold the seams, coated the seams with adhesive caulk then sewed it all up except for the last spot until the sand was filled and VOILA !!!

So far it's taken quite a beating and no sand leakage, cost me $1.55 for the bag, $5 for heavy duty thread and $3 for kids play sand (I read to use kids sand so you don't get silica dust leaching out)

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Body work sand bag
Reply #1 - 04/23/14 at 09:14:33

I use a piece of a foam workout mat, its only about an inch thick but works very will to deaden the blows and sound.

Stick it on a 2 X 4 or 4 X 4 end and you can get inside stuff to pound your over enthusiastic hammering back into shape.

I have always used pine boards as a shaper backing cause you can cut and sand them in the shape of the item you are working.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/23/14 at 09:40:02

Nifty!... looks real good...
I like that fender too... Wink...
What did it come off?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 04/26/14 at 04:04:27

The front fender is off a late 70's Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo, I wanted one with fender struts for that 50/60's kinda look, worst part was figuring out the mounting for the strut ends.  I also picked up a Yammy chrome rear fender but decided on something fuller so I got an old Sporty repop.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/26/14 at 11:23:13

A man after my own heart,, saved money, way more than the time involved in solving the problem cost, & you have what looks to be a fine tool made. Im impressed with that kinda stuff..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 04/27/14 at 05:16:44

Thanks JOG, it was pretty easy to make cheap and I'm really pleased with the way it came out which is why I shared it in case anyone else had need for something similar  Wink

IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #6 - 05/04/14 at 22:53:06

When I opened this up I thought this was going to be a goofy work out plan with sand bags. Point of reference here is that I'm a strength coach and they have been popping up in trendy gyms lately. I was going to have to straighten things out. :p

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 05/05/14 at 07:10:14

Well YoungSavage if you are planning on straightening anything out I suggest doing it in the privacy of your own home, otherwise the police may be called   Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 01:45:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Body work sand bag

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.