Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Valves & Tensioner (Read 342 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Valves & Tensioner
04/23/14 at 04:31:25

Gents, time for me to do a bit of work on the S40.  I’m going to adjust my valves and put on the Versay tensioner.  I have done a lot of reading from the tech section and have a questions or two.   Also, this will be my first go at the nuts and bolts of the bike.  First, how long should it take do each of those repairs / tune-ups?   Regarding the cam chain tensioner, I thought I remember reading something about having to take the clutch off, but I couldn’t find that in the tech section.  I don’t think we have to do that?  I think I have all necessary parts and tools so any other insight would be appreciated before I get started.  Thanks for you help, best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Valves & Tensioner
Reply #1 - 04/23/14 at 05:12:48

I would give the project all day....an entire weekend day with an overnight cure of the sealer.  You want plenty of time to clean up the parts before you put them back on.  Wash the bike a day or two before you start the job and take it for a quick ride to dry it out.

I know others have used different forms of RTV - but the Suzukibond is made for the job and I believe it cures slower and gives you more time to get the job done before it sets up.  It also seems to have more solids in it, and it does not dry shiny.  You also just need a very thin amount of sealer - you should not see a big gob of it squeezing out as you tighten the head cover.  Don't buy orange or copper colored RTV.....it looks awful!  I believe the Suzuki Bond is about $ 20 a tube - you can also use Three Bond which is a bit cheaper. http://www.bikebandit.com/threebond-liquid-gasket-1194

I have never done the plug repair with the engine in the frame - so I can't help you figure out how to wiggle the head cover in and out of the frame.

You do not need to do anything to the clutch when working on the tensioner.  Buy a gasket for the exhaust header and a gasket for the clutch cover just in case you need them......and an O-ring for the clutch shaft is not a bad idea.  Clean and apply sealant to the rubber grommet where the neutral light comes out of the case.

Don't do this!  

headsealplug-033_003.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 04/23/14 at 07:35:13

Dave? I thought he was just installing a versy and adjusting valves. What do you mean by this sealant comment?

Do I need this!?

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 04/23/14 at 07:59:00

Coaxial wrote on 04/23/14 at 07:35:13:
Dave? I thought he was just installing a versy and adjusting valves. What do you mean by this sealant comment?

Do I need this!?

Nope. Looks like Dave thought you were doing some head work. Your valve covers have little rubber O-rings so you don't need gaskets or sealant. I did both, it will take you a good Saturday for sure if it's your first time. Be sure you have your exhaust gaskets (get two in case you need to stack them for a tight seal) and your clutch cover gasket, oil and filter, a dab of RTV to put around the little wires that go into the back of the clutch cover (oil leaks there). Mix up some transmission fluid and acetone 50/50 for "nuts-off" it works better than store bought stuff. Dose your exhaust bolts all around (don't forget the ones behind the muffler at the frame) a couple times the night before you start.  Remove the bolts at the engine first before you drop the rest of them, you don't want the weight of the exhaust hanging on your engine case. When re-installing, get the exhaust basically hung in place and pretty close before you start tightening down the engine bolts. Use some anti-seize on them and your exhaust bolts, it'll make you life easier down the line.

Cut our a piece of cardboard and draw your clutch cover then poke your bolts into the carboard piece where they go so you can keep track of the long and short and gasketed bolts.

When you take the clutch cable off there is a little tab you have to bend. Be sure you pay attention to the clutch cable assembly and put it back right before you put the clutch cover back on, otherwise you'll need to pull the clutch cover to get it on again.

On the valves, once you are sure you are at TDC, get your .0003 to .0006 feelers and check the clearances. If the 0003 doesn't fit they're too tight and need adjusting. If it fits, go up a size. If you get to .0006 then it's too loose and you need to adjust. Anything in between is in spec and don't mess with it. Don't go loosening everything up and adjusting  unneccesarily.

Take it slow. Take pictures along the way, don't trust your memory about how things go back.  Good luck!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 04/23/14 at 08:00:54

Do I need this!?

A lot of us use RTV instead of factory paper gaskets. The orange above just shows you why you should buy gray or black goop (depending on engine color) instead of orange or blue goop. And why you need only a very thin wipe of it on machined surfaces, and not a Chevy 350 valve cover sealing amount.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/23/14 at 08:57:30

S-P wrote on 04/23/14 at 07:59:00:
On the valves, once you are sure you are at TDC, get your .0003 to .0006 feelers and check the clearances.

Whoops, you mean .003 to .006 (inches)

I use .004 and .005"

4 has to fit, 5 shouldn't.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/23/14 at 09:05:33

Do I need this!?

Ooops....Somehow I got confused with a question about a head plug in another thread.

Sorry Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #7 - 04/23/14 at 09:56:02

I was careful and re-used the clutch cover gasket...still no leaks after a long road trip...

remember to smear a tiny bit of sealant on the washers with rubber centers (clutch cover) I believe 3 or 4 of the cover bolts have these

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 04/23/14 at 14:20:36

Thanks to all for a lot of real good insight, I'm sure it will be very helpful.   Smiley

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #9 - 04/23/14 at 15:59:03

verslagen1 wrote on 04/23/14 at 08:57:30:
Whoops, you mean .003 to .006 (inches)

I use .004 and .005"

4 has to fit, 5 shouldn't.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. Danged twitchy fingers... I shouldn't try to type sober.   Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 04/23/14 at 18:15:46

First time? Dont even worry about how long it SHOULD take.. It takes as long as it takes to get it right,,
Tightening the jam nut CAN open the adjustment IF the jam nut has slack in the threads,, coupla mine did, A bent screwdriver ( built with 2/ 90* bends, available at Sears) IIRC, one end is flat, the other Philips, I cut the Philips to a flat that was 90* away from the other end.. Makes holding the adjuster "right" while snugging the jsm nut a snap!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 04/27/14 at 16:52:02

Gents:

I opened up the top of the engine and checked the valve clearance.  Evidently they are way off or I am doing something wrong.  I got the TDC right, I'm pretty sure.  But it appears I have 1/8 inch to much clearance.  Is this even possible?  As always, your help is appreciated.  Thanks.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 04/27/14 at 17:17:35

1/8 of a inch is .125 in. Correct clearance is .003 -.006 in.. I don't think it's likely your valves are that loose. If you do have the engine at TDC on the compression stroke then there is something wrong with whatever you are using to measure the gap, or with how you are doing it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1325991352

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #13 - 04/27/14 at 17:18:35

pg wrote on 04/27/14 at 16:52:02:
Gents:

I opened up the top of the engine and checked the valve clearance.  Evidently they are way off or I am doing something wrong.  I got the TDC right, I'm pretty sure.  But it appears I have 1/8 inch to much clearance.  Is this even possible?  As always, your help is appreciated.  Thanks.

hmmmm... sumpins not right.... 1/8 I doubt the bike would have been runnin.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 04/27/14 at 17:53:54

Tell us how you set tech.
Sorry to be pedantic, but we gotta check everything before we panic.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:33:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valves & Tensioner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.