Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fuel economy check in time... (Read 208 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Fuel economy check in time...
Reply #15 - 05/05/14 at 20:56:24

I rode the snot outta mine & got 49 ish,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 05/06/14 at 07:42:08

Yesterday's fuel up was right at 50mpg. Big windshield, saddlebags, wide handlebar and very heavy on the throttle. Time to check tire pressures (I want 40psi cold front and rear for best handling and economy) and stop trying to power wheelie it... which it won't do with the belt tension set correctly.

My normal take off is a fairly hard launch since my truck got rear ended at a green light... Memphis cage drivers see the light go green and if you are in front of them, they WILL hit you if you don't take off fast enough to suit them. Bike will go 0-30 almost instantly by "track slipping" the clutch.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 05/06/14 at 07:56:35

I added MPG stuff in your Sam thread,..
I hafta wonder if the bags are catching enough wind to matter, with the legs out there in front. Youre shovin a couple O short 2X6's thru the wind with those boots out there,, I wonder if a low mounted kinda V shaped affair to deflect air at an angle out from under the bike would be worth the hassle/cost..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 05/06/14 at 09:17:26

I just filled up after a very windy ride on Saturday.  On the way home it was about 60 miles of riding straight into the wind, and I believe the wind was a steady 10-15 mph with some really strong gusts.  I still managed to average 57.5 mpg.  I went 164.1 miles and put 2.85 gallons in the larger than stock tank.

On a calm day with steady cruising....I bet I can break into the 60mpg numbers! Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 05/06/14 at 10:43:53

If a guy is really serious about stretchin the gas out, once he has made it "out in front" & no longer in mortal danger of being run down, then getting into high gear as soon as possible w/o lugging it is a good plan,.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 05/06/14 at 11:12:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/06/14 at 10:43:53:
If a guy is really serious about stretchin the gas out, once he has made it "out in front" & no longer in mortal danger of being run down, then getting into high gear as soon as possible w/o lugging it is a good plan,.

Or Maybe Draftin! Grin

On the Saturday ride we came up behind a huge Wide Load that was a big monstrous rectangle covered in blue tarps.....it took up 2 lanes of interstate.  Just before we went around I could feel how much wind it was pushing out of our way....there was no wind in my face when we were behind that big box!

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #21 - 05/06/14 at 11:48:30

My 2001 would get about 46mph, about the same whether highway or putting around town. The only extra wind-catching equipment (besides my large frame) was a flyscreen.

When I got the bike, I put on the Emgo short megaphone like Ryca supplies. Within 30 miles, my pipes were starting to discolor. I went up one size on the pilot and main jets. I also did the white spacer mod. Didn't change the pilot screw, as I couldn't get the cover plug out. I broke a screw in the cover trying to get it out, so I just left it. The bike ran wonderfully. No flat spots. No hesitation. No discoloring, nice burble on decel, but no aftershots. An occasional poof if I shut down immediately after pushing it, but no gunshots.

When I got tired of the noise from that Emgo, I changed to a dyna muffler. I didn't change any carb tuning and got the same performance and mileage.

I know it was a little rich. I didn't need to choke to start until temps were below 40. It sooted the rear brake just a little bit, but nothing alarming.  It ran so well, I didn't decided that gas mileage hit was something I could live with.

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 05/07/14 at 07:17:13

WD wrote on 04/23/14 at 07:22:34:
150/50 jets, mixture screw adjusted until it sounded right. Raptor petcock with the proper size fuel line and no inline filter.

I live at the highest point in the county (424 feet). And it is always humid. Based on the 98 that saw MS-TN-KY-AR-FL-LA-MO-WA-ID-OR, the engine likes humidity versus drier air.

86 stock except for a few simple things like cam chain and carb plug is getting 57 to 60...  by the way, what is the proper size fule line?

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 05/07/14 at 07:56:16

Dave wrote on 05/06/14 at 11:12:23:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/06/14 at 10:43:53:

Or Maybe Draftin! Grin

On the Saturday ride we came up behind a huge Wide Load that was a big monstrous rectangle covered in blue tarps.....it took up 2 lanes of interstate.  Just before we went around I could feel how much wind it was pushing out of our way....there was no wind in my face when we were behind that big box!

Ive done some drafting,, so, I dont recommend it,, It just doesnt feel safe, its effective, no doubt. If you can feel the wind trying to shove ya off the bike drop off, MPG is goin UP, for sure,,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 05/07/14 at 08:24:58

Jsud04 wrote on 05/07/14 at 07:17:13:
WD wrote on 04/23/14 at 07:22:34:
150/50 jets, mixture screw adjusted until it sounded right. Raptor petcock with the proper size fuel line and no inline filter.

I live at the highest point in the county (424 feet). And it is always humid. Based on the 98 that saw MS-TN-KY-AR-FL-LA-MO-WA-ID-OR, the engine likes humidity versus drier air.

86 stock except for a few simple things like cam chain and carb plug is getting 57 to 60...  by the way, what is the proper size fule line?

8mm......or 5/16".

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:30:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Fuel economy check in time...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.