Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
harley synthetic 20w/50 oil (Read 80 times)
victorbsa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

harley synthetic 20w/50 oil
04/22/14 at 17:18:04

since i keep hearing of the poor oil flow, and cam bearing troubles with this engine, could it hurt to run full synthetic harley 20-50 oil?Also my bike lets out a loud back fire and foot long fire ball when I shut off ignition. but only after it has been running long enough to be warmed up.Anyone else getting this?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: harley synthetic 20w/50 oil
Reply #1 - 04/22/14 at 17:47:46

Harley's have roller bearings for the cam and roller lifters...I would not just buy oil for them without knowing what is in it.  There is really no better oil than Rotella T......expensive oils aren't always better for the Savage engine.

Sure.....lots of people get the afterfire.  Kinda like the Savage marking it's territory or a mating call.  What kind of muffler do you have, and have you ever done any carb jetting on the bike?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/22/14 at 18:11:58

+1... I would avoid Harley oil...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/22/14 at 19:41:13

victorbsa wrote on 04/22/14 at 17:18:04:
Also my bike lets out a loud back fire and foot long fire ball when I shut off ignition.

WWW   IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #4 - 04/22/14 at 19:44:47

...Also my bike lets out a loud back fire and foot long fire ball when I shut off ignition. but only after it has been running long enough to be warmed up.Anyone else getting this?

I stopped this from happening simply by stalling it out in 2nd or 3rd. Shuts it right down with zero KABOOM.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 04/22/14 at 20:11:24

since i keep hearing of the poor oil flow, and cam bearing troubles with this engine, could it hurt to run full synthetic harley 20-50 oil?Also my bike lets out a loud back fire and foot long fire ball when I shut off ignition. but only after it has been running long enough to be warmed up.Anyone else getting this?

Firstly.....victorbsa? As in BSA 441 Victor? One of the best bikes I ever owned!

Now to your questions....NO on the HD oil. Just like Dave says, there is no better oil for the price than the Shell Rotella T for our bikes. None whatsoever.

As for the "footlong fireball" and backfire, if the fireball is blue and the backfire does not blow the muffler off you've just got that normal "Savage signature". If it's really bad check out the tech section for the "white spacer mod" and other carb related tips. Also make sure your idle is set to at least(absolute minimum) 1000 rpm. Anything lower can melt yer top end due to lack of lube at idle.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 04/23/14 at 01:26:42

When I bought my Savage back in 2003 it popped a couple of times so I took it back to the dealer and he drilled out the brass plug on the carb, richened it out some and it has never backfired again. Ever! Even the exhaust pipe with 54,000 miles on it has not a bit of bluing on it whatsoever.

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #7 - 04/23/14 at 03:59:31

glad Zar mentioned the carb spacer mod, that and richening the idle mixture reduced backfires for me.
There is great stuff in the tech section

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:19:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › harley synthetic 20w/50 oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.