Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
American Motorcyclist Association (Read 46 times)
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
American Motorcyclist Association
04/22/14 at 12:00:23

I just spent $147 for a 3-year membership with the AMA. Did I waste my money ? What can some of you tell me about this organization ?   Undecided

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: American Motorcyclist Association
Reply #1 - 04/22/14 at 13:35:46

Well.....I have been a member for a while.  I initially joined because I would compete in Trials and you had to be a member to ride at any AMA sanctioned event.  If you got the Roadside Assistance....you got that benefit....and you will also get a 10% discount from anything you buy from Bike Bandit.  You also get their magazine which has good articles.

The AMA is a big orginization and they do a lot of lobbying to benefit the motorcycle rider both on and off road.  They are getting funding for "motorcycle only checkpoints" revoked, lobbying to stop the mandatory spread of E15 fuel, working to keep public land open to riding, and lobbying to keep needless laws imposed on motorcycle riders.

My only issue with them is that they have gotten so big....they have become a bit like the government that they are lobbying against.  When my membership is up for renewal and I get a notice from them I will quickly send in my check for the renewal.  Then a week or so later I will get a package in the mail with my new membership card.....followed a few days later by a notice telling me that my membership is about to expire.  When I sent them an email about this they told me the mailing are prepared weeks in advance.......and they don't compare the mailings wit the renewals that have been received.  They were also easily confused when I requsted to receive the "Street" version of their magazine even though I have a Competition membership which is Off Road......so when that confused them and I kept getting the Off Road version I just sent them a letter and $ 10 so I could get both magazines - and guess what...the next month I got 2 copies of the Street version!

They are a good orginization....just a bit too big and bogged down in their self imposed bureaucracy.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #2 - 04/22/14 at 13:54:46

Dave - right, the 3-year roadside assistance was included    I've never before been a member  but it seemed like a good thing in print

And on roadside assistance : If transport were needed - with what kind of set up do they haul rider and bike

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/22/14 at 14:03:15

Doug B wrote on 04/22/14 at 13:54:46:
And on roadside assistance : If transport were needed - with what kind of set up do they haul rider and bike

I dunno....I only sign up 1 year at a time.

The museum is also a nice visit if you are near Columbus, OH.  The Vintage Days at Mid Ohio race track is also a good time...it is July 11-13.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:24:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › American Motorcyclist Association

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.