Send Topic Print
Plasti Dip? (Read 144 times)
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Plasti Dip?
04/21/14 at 15:38:19

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

Curious if anyone has any experience with this product. Getting ready to repaint my Suzuki and this seems like something I can do myself without too much hassle. I like the idea of peeling it off if you want to change colors. I realize it does not hold up to gasoline well and it's not as glossy as regular paint.

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Re: Plasti Dip?
Reply #1 - 04/21/14 at 17:20:29

don't do it, if it's what I think it is, not intended as a cosmetic coating

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/21/14 at 17:52:41

old_rider painted a Harley Tour pack with it....he has some experience.
Go to Page 3....post 33 to see what he said:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1395537807/30

I bought a can to spray on the front of the swing arm to protect the paint where the tire throws crap...haven't used it yet.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/21/14 at 19:14:35

Get the feeling I have just been challenged.
Despite the results I'll be happy to conduct an experiment.  Shocked

IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/21/14 at 20:44:55

I used black spray on my silver roof rack cross bars. It worked, but it is not as durable as I Would have liked. Maybe I did not do it correctly, but it seems to want to peel anytime anything rubs/scrapes it at all. I don't see how it would hold up on the front of a car, but people are doing it!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 04/21/14 at 23:53:22

Looking for references on DIY paint jobs I've run across a good amount of people painting their bikes with Plasti Dip on other forums, seems quite popular with smaller fairing sport bikes as it's fairly easy to  change the bike color often.  Most of the people seem happy about the results, but I don't recall any long term reviews at all.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 04/22/14 at 08:45:36

The stuff I got had a really bad spray pattern coming from the nozzle, splatter is what I would call it.
Coat it with several light coats, I still did not get the tour pak totally coated you can see the gold paint underneath in places with the bright sun shining on it.
However, when I taped the borders around fasteners and lights I did not realize the plastidip peels when you take off the tape. I tried a razor knife around a couple of "no see" spots, but that was iffy. So I ended up spraying into the cap and using a small paint brush to "trim" up around my fasteners, it all dryed about the same, so spraying back over a peeled part might be something you could do.
Overall my advice...practice on something you don't care about, maybe a license plate to hang off the front of the car or truck, then see how it wears after a month of weather and bugs.
The surface of the plastidip after this past few weeks still feels "tacky" to me. I got sawdust on it and sprayed it off and instead of wiping it dry I kind of dabbed it dry.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
schleppy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/22/14 at 09:14:29

I have painted numerous bikes with it. The stuff works great. And best of all you can peel it off if you get sick of it. Also, you can pretty much paint over everything, and then peel off the paint you don't want on there. For example, I panted my entire rear fender (with the brake light on it). Carefully used an xacto knife to "cut" what I wanted to peel off, then peeled it all off. Very easy.

The only "downside" is that it is typically a lightly textured, matte finish. If you like that, then you're golden. I also would not coat anything that gets too hot in it. It has a low-ish melting point. And you really need to shake the can a lot before you use it. If you don't it can come up a bit "lumpy" and leave a more textured finish than you may have wanted.

Send me a PM and I'll send you pics of my "dipped" LS650.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 04/22/14 at 17:57:24

Post a pic up Schleppy!!!   Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:26:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Plasti Dip?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.