Send Topic Print
Cam chain concerns (Read 114 times)
demonhunter
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cam chain concerns
04/21/14 at 11:01:38

Hey guys, following the cam chain check procedure and I noticed that there is some wear on my case behind the chain. There also seems to be a broken "fin" up near the oil fill hole. Should I be concerned about either of these things? Bike was running fine other than what I hope to be a slipping clutch due to my boneheaded move of putting in some 15w40 not designed for wet clutch systems. I found the instructions for remedying that on this site but wanted to take care of the cam chain while I'm wrenching. I've got the adjuster/tensioner pulled at this point in hopes of having it modified as it was time according to the measurement but wanted to know if that would be enough to get me through this round or if I need to do more extensive troubleshooting. Thanks for your time.

Extra details:
2000 LS650
chain drive conversion
raptor mod
first time cycle owner but fairly competent with a wrench

cam.jpg
  IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Re: Cam chain concerns
Reply #1 - 04/21/14 at 12:11:00

Looks like it was just in time you got to the cam chain adjuster Smiley
I haven't heard of anyone having wear on the inside of the crankcase behind the chain.. That sounds odd.. Maybe the chain could have been so loose that it hit the casing? I doubt it.. Does the chain guide look ok? I think you'll need to take a picture.. About the fin - if it's just a piece of the cooling ribs on the cyllinder, don't worry..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/21/14 at 13:13:13

Probably due to the PO letting it go too long.
Shouldn't be a issue, just don't let that plunger fall out again.

WWW   IP Logged
Nathan

warm pavement.

Canada
Reply #3 - 04/21/14 at 13:26:49

I'm currently taking apart my 86 savage for the exact reason and also noticed some pretty serious rubbing on the case on the inside. My cam chain tensor was passed the threads as my chain had stretched way to much. I'm at 23,000 KM's so I'm assuming it needed changing a long time ago but I never knew as this is my first bike. I'm now looking into getting a new chain and a new cam chain tensioner.

Vergslagen, I read about your mod piece and I was wondering how much it'd be to ship one to Saskatchewan, Canada.

I also did an post about my initial problem that lead me to tear it down quite a long time ago before I had diagnosed the problem below.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1368582951/10#10

IMG_0273.jpg

86' ls650 Suzuki Savage.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/21/14 at 13:34:56

Michael L wrote on 04/21/14 at 12:11:00:
About the fin - if it's just a piece of the cooling ribs on the cyllinder, don't worry..

The fin he is talking about is the baffle/deflector just below the oil fill hole.  Evidently the chain go so loose it broke it off.....wonder where the piece went?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/21/14 at 13:50:13

Nathan wrote on 04/21/14 at 13:26:49:
I'm currently taking apart my 86 savage for the exact reason and also noticed some pretty serious rubbing on the case on the inside. My cam chain tensor was passed the threads as my chain had stretched way to much. I'm at 23,000 KM's so I'm assuming it needed changing a long time ago but I never knew as this is my first bike. I'm now looking into getting a new chain and a new cam chain tensioner.

Usually, the motion is up and down, not side to side, but it does happen.

WWW   IP Logged
demonhunter
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/21/14 at 14:05:41

Looks like it was just in time you got to the cam chain adjuster Smiley
I haven't heard of anyone having wear on the inside of the crankcase behind the chain.. That sounds odd.. Maybe the chain could have been so loose that it hit the casing? I doubt it.. Does the chain guide look ok? I think you'll need to take a picture.. About the fin - if it's just a piece of the cooling ribs on the cyllinder, don't worry..

Everything else looks okay to my untrained eye but I'll definitely snap some more pictures when I get home. Thanks.

IP Logged
demonhunter
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/21/14 at 14:08:45

verslagen1 wrote on 04/21/14 at 13:13:13:
Probably due to the PO letting it go too long.
Shouldn't be a issue, just don't let that plunger fall out again.

I'm just glad I found this site before I put too many miles on it. Definitely going to be hitting you up for your modification.

IP Logged
demonhunter
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/21/14 at 14:13:11

Dave wrote on 04/21/14 at 13:34:56:
About the fin - if it's just a piece of the cooling ribs on the cyllinder, don't worry..

The fin he is talking about is the baffle/deflector just below the oil fill hole.  Evidently the chain go so loose it broke it off.....wonder where the piece went?  

That piece is what had me worried, but everything seems in surprisingly good shape if things came loose and started slinging around in there while underway. I sent a magnet and camera down the lower portion but only found one or two tiny metal flakes and was able to see even less on the screen. Fingers crossed I guess.

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #9 - 04/21/14 at 17:29:24

that fin/baffle is aluminum, maybe fell out during an oil change?

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
demonhunter
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/21/14 at 19:47:22

This is the best I can do with the cell phone. Is anyone able to see anything here that might be cause for alarm or does this thing need to come apart further before passing judgement?

guide.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/21/14 at 20:24:54

check the teeth on the primary gear for any raised edges and file them off.
I'm not sure how much oil gets redirected to the counter balancer bearing or how much you're loosing.  but I'd suspect it'll wear out early.  not much you can do about it.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:22:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain concerns

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.