LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: VHT curing problem.
Reply #15 - 04/23/14 at 20:19:05

I used whatever was on the shelf at Autozone; sprayed on a decent coat after I warmed it really well from the inside with a butane torch.  Then after the paint was applied I hung it up and used the torch again on the inside of the header to speed the drying/curing. Reheated a few times until it was well done.  I did maybe  3-4 coats.  It  was OK; did not cost much at all; installed the next day and resumed riding.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 04/23/14 at 21:39:36

Yeah in hind sight I'm wishing I had used the butane torch on the top most part as that is where this problem mainly occurs on the bike.   I went to Autozone also,  got the VHT Flame Proof Paint,  about $8 a can,  so far I've had to get 4.... (primer,  color clear,  redid paint and had to get another color).   I've still got a good amount of color and clear so I think I'll give it one last try with the pipe really hot off the bike and put some more color and clear up top.   If that fails I'm getting that refund and having it professionally done.   Only gonna cost me about $35 when the refund comes through.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 04/24/14 at 12:33:09

Well I'm pissed...  The fading of the color only went a few inches from the base of the engine,  and I was not happy,  but it appeared to have fully cured well.   It was dark and so I'm not for sure on this,  but after my final curing and letting it cool I went for a ride around the block,  and I didn't really crank it to much but when I got back I took a high powered flashlight to it (up until then I had my patio light and a low powered head lamp.   Well upon inspection of how faded the pipe got up top I came across a large amount of chipping and cracks.   I can't be for sure of taking it for the ride then instead of waiting until today for a ride is the cause,  or if it was just like that and I just didn't inspect it closely enough....   Regardless,  that's the final straw,  I'm stripping it all and getting the refund and having it done professionally.   I know I could use BBQ paint as people have pointed out,  but they also say that only has a life span of a few years maybe.   So given the fact that after a refund I'll be spending like $30 for a professionally done ceramic coating,  I'm gonna go that route.   Disappointing,  but I'm not wasting any more time on the header.   I want to start my fiberglassing projects,  starting with a custom under engine air scoop,  then seat,  then tank.

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #18 - 04/24/14 at 14:48:43

sorry it gave you a fit

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
DaveLKN
YaBB Newbies

Lake Norman NC
Reply #19 - 04/24/14 at 20:11:06

Could it be that the clearcoat over the black was the problem?  Anyway, you're right- it looks like you're not alone...

http://forum.caswellplating.com/liquid-painting-questions/13014-vht-header-pa...

1998 Savage LS650
1998 Marauder VZ800
member- Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/24/14 at 21:07:55

DaveLKN wrote on 04/24/14 at 20:11:06:
Could it be that the clearcoat over the black was the problem?  Anyway, you're right- it looks like you're not alone...

http://forum.caswellplating.com/liquid-painting-questions/13014-vht-header-pa...

I saw this and was trying to avoid exactly what happened here,  but I think just like in his instance I had to much paint on as I didn't completely strip the original coat of paint,  I just sanded it down a bit.   I do think the clear coat does affect the outcome and should probably be applied only after you've successfully cured just your color.   Not for sure,  but that's what I'm guessing...

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 04/24/14 at 22:40:57

And more fading has come since riding today.....   Here is the main issue.

1398404438586.jpg
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/24/14 at 22:42:24

Overall.

1398404489182.jpg
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 04/24/14 at 23:02:04

That's normal. Even commercially painted headers for muscle cars and hot rods burn the paint off pretty quickly. Only sure bet is a true ceramic coating. And even they get funky with age...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:37:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › VHT curing problem.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.