Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alcohol in convenience stores.... (Read 123 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Alcohol in convenience stores....
04/19/14 at 17:10:28

Up here in Da Nort' they are considering selling beer and wine in convenience stores. Since forever here in Canada you could only buy beer at a government controlled beer store and liquor and wine in a government controlled liquor store. The hue and cry is that the convenience stores will sell to minors, and the government stores won't.
Keep in mind that the convenience store still sell tobacco products, although they can't display them, and all kinds of underage kids smoke.All kinds of underage kids drink too.

What say you?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Alcohol in convenience stores....
Reply #1 - 04/19/14 at 18:01:24

Free market just went into effect here in Washington after a voter approved bill. Prior it was state run (franchise) liquor only. Now those stores can not compete with the BIG stores and are closing....
It does appear they have ramped up "stings" and have made money on fining those stores who in fact do sell to underage rummies Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 04/19/14 at 18:13:57

Here In NY the Stop-and-Robs and supermarkets have always sold beer. Selling to minors is not a huge problem 'cause the stores don't want to lose their licenses, so most are pretty careful. The police run stings periodically and when they make a bust they make sure it gets plenty of publicity. Lots of places ask for ID no matter how old you look, just as a matter of policy. I get asked all the time, and I'm not likely to be mistaken for a teenager.

The big fight here is over selling wine in grocery stores. Got nothing to do with selling to kids though. It's a pi**ing contest between the grocers,liquor stores and the wineries.

Laws vary a good bit from state to state. I think there may still be some states where the laws vary within in the state; county by county.

So what do I think? I think that while the decision is being hashed out people on both sides of the issue will scream and rant and rave, and when it's all over and decided it won't make a hell of a lot of difference one way or the other what the outcome is.

IP Logged
kochic

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

st-jean-de-matha, qc
Reply #3 - 04/20/14 at 06:34:14

here in Quebec, they sell beer and wine at convenience stores and grocery.
For liquors and better wine its the SAQ government store unless you live in a 'region' with a touristic label.
I dont know since when, but i always saw beer at convenience store and i'm 36.
They ask for ID in case of doubt, you need to be at least 18yrs old to buy tabacco and alcohol.
Marc

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 04/20/14 at 09:30:42

I'm used to beer and wine in the grocery store/gas station having grown up in WA.

Here in TN, you can get beer at grocery stores and convenience stores, but wine and hard alcohol have specialty stores. Supposed to change within 2 years to reflect a new state law allowing grocery stores to sell wine.

You want to get me wound up? Why in the name of all that is right do Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS, etc sell tobacco, alcohol, high fat-high sodium-high sugar products? Seriously, selling any of those in a pharmacy (front section is a convenience store my butt) is counter intuitive... The worship of the "almighty" funny colored paper truly knows no bounds...  Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 04/21/14 at 08:01:45

Pretty much what WD said.

I have seen signs that say " If you dont look over 40, you will be carded"  I sure dont look under 40.. and these days dont look under 50.. cause i  aint... I get carded most times.

the times .. they are a'changing... be it easy access to weed or beer, the US, re-structuring is and isnt good.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/22/14 at 11:08:49

Well,, IF they Dont have beer in them, ya cant REALLY call 'em "Convenience stores" now can ya?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #7 - 04/23/14 at 16:58:59

In California and Nevada the grocery stores, mini-marts, convenience stores, pharmacies and liquor stores sell beer, wine and alcohol. Alcohol is soo prevalent and accessable down here that all the underage kids have pill, meth, xstasy, pot and cocaine addictions.  Shocked

So either alcohol is the expressway-gateway to drugs or kids will just do whatever they feel like. Maybe alcohol is too easy to get and, thus, not a challenge. I am sure there are kids with alcohol problems but it sure seems like those are in the minority.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 04/26/14 at 07:53:12

In 1989 we had a German exchange student stay with us. The legal age was 16 in Germany, and he told us that it was not "cool" to be openly drunk if you were a teen. Our son confirmed this when he came back from Germany.
It seems to me that if you deny somebody something it makes them want it more. (I never was fond of sweets until I became diabetic and was not allowed to have them. Now I keep sugar free chocolates and candies around all the time.)
It also seems to me that education is the key to responsible drinking, and it is sadly lacking in our society.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/26/14 at 09:22:59

& the only sugar free thing I know of that is safe is Stevia. Aspartame breaks down to wood alcohol type alcohol,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/27/14 at 06:09:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/22/14 at 11:08:49:
Well,, IF they Dont have beer in them, ya cant REALLY call 'em "Convenience stores" now can ya?

haha....! perfect Jog!

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/27/14 at 06:18:48

I was in Arkansas last week at a tough job..... tired as hell later and hungry. I was in a little mill town and all it had were crappy hotels so drove 45 miles to El Dorado, AR or maybe it was Monticello, AR.... Both dry counties... You run into that a lot in Arkansas. Plenty of little crappy liquor stores to buy a few beers in, but all I really want to do is sit down at a table, order a steak or a burger and have a couple beers.....   You have to ask the hotel guy for the one or two restaurants in town who have paid off whomever they need to pay off so they can serve beer at dinner..... Some places in Arkansas still get around this by saying they are a social club in which alcohol is legal. So you go in, pay a token membership fee, sign a card, sit down and have a meal and beer. Silly.....

Yes, it's a holdover from the viewpoint of conservative Southern Baptist (of which I grew up in) but like many viewpoints, they evolve over time. Sooner or later, Arkansas will do away with those laws and they should. The use of alcohol is so common place in the US, there's no reason. Now weed, is another matter. I am not in favor of legalizing that anywhere. There is a social aspect to having a brew with a buddy that's simply not there with weed. Also, why in the world would we make it easier for some people to waste part of their life away.....

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #12 - 04/30/14 at 08:16:07

WebsterMark wrote on 04/27/14 at 06:18:48:
I was in Arkansas last week at a tough job..... tired as hell later and hungry. I was in a little mill town and all it had were crappy hotels so drove 45 miles to El Dorado, AR or maybe it was Monticello, AR.... Both dry counties... You run into that a lot in Arkansas. Plenty of little crappy liquor stores to buy a few beers in, but all I really want to do is sit down at a table, order a steak or a burger and have a couple beers.....   You have to ask the hotel guy for the one or two restaurants in town who have paid off whomever they need to pay off so they can serve beer at dinner..... Some places in Arkansas still get around this by saying they are a social club in which alcohol is legal. So you go in, pay a token membership fee, sign a card, sit down and have a meal and beer. Silly.....

Yes, it's a holdover from the viewpoint of conservative Southern Baptist (of which I grew up in) but like many viewpoints, they evolve over time. Sooner or later, Arkansas will do away with those laws and they should. The use of alcohol is so common place in the US, there's no reason. Now weed, is another matter. I am not in favor of legalizing that anywhere. There is a social aspect to having a brew with a buddy that's simply not there with weed. Also, why in the world would we make it easier for some people to waste part of their life away.....

hehe.. just observation on my part...
Its easy to blame "blue laws" on Baptists, but dont think for one minute that others dont profit from it. It was pointed out to me that Rankin County (in MS) was dry... not because of the baptists.. but in support of the illegal stills there. Legal brew created competition. But yeah... we are loosening up even here in the heart of the bible belt.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #13 - 05/01/14 at 16:44:42

Pine wrote on 04/30/14 at 08:16:07:
WebsterMark wrote on 04/27/14 at 06:18:48:

hehe.. just observation on my part...
Its easy to blame "blue laws" on Baptists, but dont think for one minute that others dont profit from it. It was pointed out to me that Rankin County (in MS) was dry... not because of the baptists.. but in support of the illegal stills there. Legal brew created competition. But yeah... we are loosening up even here in the heart of the bible belt.

Accursed rent seekers!!!!!  Grin Grin Grin

Seriously, though, imagine a set of laws enacted to protect illegal activity. It's my Rangel and Geithner aren't in prison soiling each other.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 13:20:54

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Alcohol in convenience stores....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.