Body armor (Read 542 times)
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Re: Body armor
Reply #15 - 04/20/14 at 09:44:39

WD wrote on 04/19/14 at 23:10:46:

If you show up at my house, on a cruiser, wearing a full face helmet, you're leaving on your own... I will not ride with someone who has that much fear.

... Or if a guy shows up on a Beemer, and his jacket and pants don't match the bike's paint!  That dude's got no sense of style!!

« Last Edit: 04/21/14 at 16:55:27 by runwyrlph »  

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 04/20/14 at 10:21:34

Full face on a cruiser generally means one of two things, you are either  scared and really need to rethink whether or not riding is for you, or you're a club member hiding from facial recognition cameras.

I can see a full face for track days, and since even the vintage racing classes mostly require their usage, my vintage racing bike resto project went to a breaker for part out. I dislike full face helmets that much. I literally posted an ad saying that folks had one week to pick it up or it was heading to the metal shredder... It was rehomed in under an afternoon.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #17 - 04/20/14 at 11:15:16

Quote:
Full face on a cruiser generally means one of two things, you are either  scared and really need to rethink whether or not riding is for you, or you're a club member hiding from facial recognition cameras.

Or it may just mean that you ride somewhere i'ts chilly most of the time. I have a FF and a 3/4 style helmet and the FF is significantly warmer. It's also quieter. I can wear it without wearing ear plugs.

The 3/4 gets worn on those rare days that it's actually hot around here. "Scared" hasn't got Sh*t to do with it.

IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #18 - 04/20/14 at 22:33:37

WD wrote on 04/20/14 at 10:21:34:

mmmm,scared?,nup..club member? nup..so where do I fit in?
I have a full face because I can interchange between my 2 bikes,for comfort,and I got sick of those darn bugs hitting my face,also,with visor down,I ain't getting hit in the face with stones n crap from other vehicles

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #19 - 04/21/14 at 14:57:05

... Lace on boots or jackboots. Jeans, sometimes with chaps, sometimes without.

Armored leathers or textile? I don't do track days anymore, sent all that junk to the landfill after other riders took what they could use.

If you show up at my house, on a cruiser, wearing a full face helmet, you're leaving on your own... I will not ride with someone who has that much fear.

I've never been scared enough that I had to wear chaps...
Wink

« Last Edit: 04/21/14 at 16:59:45 by runwyrlph »  

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/21/14 at 15:46:22

Once, when I was young and dumb, I had too make a split second decision in the pouring rain. I was approaching a stop sign at a busy intersection going way to fast. I could either lay down the bike and stop in time or jam on the brakes and come to a stop well past it.
Had I been wear protective clothing I may have made a wiser choice.  Undecided

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #21 - 04/21/14 at 16:28:24

I bought a Shoe (sp) FF helmet with beautiful dragons on it. I wore it home from the store and that was it. I feel claustrophobic in it, and I would rather look at it than wear it.
In cooler weather I wear a heavy leather motorcycle jacket, sometimes chaps, and an open face helmet with a face warmer. In hot weather I wear a Joe Rocket mesh jacket with armor in the shoulders and elbows.
When I was young and foolish I decided to ride to the store in shorts, a tee and sandals. They had put down stone and oil at the entrance to the mall and down I went, splitting between my big toe and scraping up my entire right side. Went to the store for the milk, went home and stood in the shower  bleeding while my wife picked stones out of my arm and leg with tweezers. Then I went to emerge to get my foot sewn up.. Glad I had a helmet on.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/21/14 at 17:14:03

I am completely committed to the idea of wearing a full face helmet and as dark a visor as possible.  But then again I am not the best looking guy in the world...  Tongue

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 04/21/14 at 17:29:05

runwyrlph wrote on 04/21/14 at 14:57:05:
... Lace on boots or jackboots. Jeans, sometimes with chaps, sometimes without.

Armored leathers or textile? I don't do track days anymore, sent all that junk to the landfill after other riders took what they could use.

I've never been scared enough that I had to wear chaps...
Wink

Keeps my work pants clean(er) than w/o them. And keeps them off the exhaust pipe. Can't wear jeans at my job, in itself normally a good reason to NOT accept employment in my eye.

Clean shaven, short haired, black work pants... look like a highway patrol motor officer... if the drivers I keep scaring only knew... I do plan to 2 tone out the bikelet, black and cream, and get a cream or gold 1/2 helmet...   Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #24 - 04/21/14 at 17:44:34

In all my years of riding I have gone down twice. The last time was a couple of years ago when my buddy started to leave a stop sign and stopped suddenly. I plowed into him at about 5 mph. The hardest hit I have ever taken by far. other than a broken hand and fingers and developing fluid around my heart, the worst blow would have been to my face which I face planted into the corner of his hard bags. Shattered my full face shield but my face is still intact. When I was in the hospital getting my hand fixed the ER doctor who also rides, told me he has had riders come in with no lips, eye brows, chin,  nose or skin left on their face because of half helmets. They only work if you land on the top of your head. I have a GMAX helmet that allows me to ride if I choose with the shield full up at 70 mph with no buffeting. I ride like that alot but I at least still have the chin guard to protect me. I'll stick to the full face.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #25 - 04/21/14 at 20:34:30

I finally found a FF that worked with my glasses--Fulmer Modus with flip up chin bar. Love it! I noticed it seemed much heavier than my open face with shield, but the aerodynnamics must be different. It feels light when riding, and fits perfect. Quiet, too. As for fear, people with good sense who ride know motorcycles are 35 times more deadly when compared to wrecks in cars. I doubt they are fearful. Just careful to see that they respect their families and friends enough to stay in good shape for them.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #26 - 04/21/14 at 20:57:19

Hay  ,  Those full face are nice in cold weather .    With a face mask and the lid closed on full face 40 degree weather ain't bad.   But when the temps go up , the smaller helmets come out .  Smiley

To each his own ...

Leather chaps are cheep and offer good protection ... even in warm weather.   I'm going to check-out that welders shirt ?  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #27 - 04/24/14 at 21:08:41

Full face is also good for keeping sunburn at bay, not having to wear sunnies, keeping out wasps and bees and to exercise your Right To Choose. That said, I usually wear a streetfighter lid on the Cabbage, LAPD shorty and Nannini goggles on the cafe' bikes, a MotoX fullface on my DR and a fullface on the Monster, if I'm touring or its really cold. Gotta dress the part don'tcher know?
I would not, could not, go shirtless like WD. Just not tuff enough I'm afraid. Do they call those people "squids" in the states, like here?

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 04/26/14 at 20:46:26

Get it. Wear it. Now for a true story. Wife and I were driving west on HWY 2, just east of Stevens Pass. Passed a big V-twin lying on its side, wheels turning. Passed a woman lying face down on pavement, hit the brakes, grabbed the cell and 1st aid kit, bailed out. 20 yards up saw a man lying on his back, and 20 yards further a dead deer. Both man and woman were wearing full riding suits with CE armor. Both were in shock - but - she only had a minor abrasion on her wrist, and he only had a broken ankle. Lots of torn fabric, but both were relatively OK. That stuff works.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #29 - 04/26/14 at 23:17:49

If you got a $10 brain, get a $10 helmet...
If you got a $10 face,.. scraping it along 80ft of asphalt ain't gonna' help...

If you got a $2 face, and a brain worth pocket change...
You better protect that thing with the finest available technology...

If you have a face or brain worth more than $10,... why are riding a motorcycle?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:16:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Body armor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.