Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Body armor (Read 542 times)
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Body armor
04/18/14 at 20:59:34

About to get behind the handlebars again after a good 25 years. Feeling just a bit of trepidation. Any suggestions on quality body armor, Kevlar jeans and stuff?

« Last Edit: 04/18/14 at 22:08:57 by Ragnar444 »  
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Re: Body armor
Reply #1 - 04/19/14 at 08:19:51

Steel Toed boots!  - pretty sure they saved my foot!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 04/19/14 at 09:00:12

I've been wearing these. Not actually made for motorcycling but they are much tougher than regular denim jeans.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-fire-hose-5-pocket-jeans-8612...

For a jacket I've got one of these and I like it. Armor in the shoulders, elbows and back. lots of pockets, and a nice zip in liner.

Only thing I don't like is that it's pretty heavy and not all that comfortable if I'm  wearing it off the bike for any length of time. Been caught out in the rain with it a couple of times and I stayed dry. It's got good vents on the arms chest and back but I think it might  be too warm for stop and go type traffic on a really hot day. That's not really a problem where I am but it might be something to consider depending where you ride.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour-master-rincon-jacket

Looks like they're out of stock at this place but I just posted the link for the picture.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/19/14 at 09:03:20

FF helmet... 100%...

Heavy leather will survive pavement...

"Armor"...(not really armor, just foam and plastic pads)... can help a little if you hit an immovable object...
It can also cause more damage than it helps, if it don't fit right... fit has to be tight so that pads are immobile
Textile, even Kevlar, will shred on pavement...

I wear boots with ankle covered, but one's that don't restrict ankle movement... if you restrict ankle movement, all pressures will be transferred to knees and hips...(rather have a broken ankle)...

Jeans don't slide, but what else you gonna' wear?...

Some gloves of course... I wear fingerless mostly... less protection, but palms and knuckles are most important...

That said,... my most serious crash, I was wearing a t-shirt,
with boots, gloves, and FF....
Sometimes it's just too hot.... Tongue...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/19/14 at 13:23:36

Thanks for the advice. Here is a website that popped up as an add on facebook that got we wondering. Seemed like a good investment.

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=CPC&utm_con...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/19/14 at 13:39:46

I was wearin a khaki welders shirt from TRactor supply when I went a slidin,, I guess I made about 50 feet or so before I landed on the bike in the ditch,, the spinning wheel cooked parts of a circle on it..It was slightly frayed in a coupla places, I still wear it. I had leather chaps on the legs.
Ive totaled 3 bikes, 2, no helmet, first one, IF Id been wearing a helmet, I woulda died from a busted neck. Second one, I didnt hit my head, 3rd one, I slammed face first into the cab corner of a pickup & bent it pretty good.. I suspect had I not been wearing a FF helmet I woulda, at best, lost my teeth & needed facial reconstructive surgery.
All that said, I owuldnt get on a bike w/o leather gloves, cuz you go down, youre usin those hands,,& a full co\verage helmet,, Lookm up the Hurt report, I think thats it, shows where most damage gets done,, & man, the face takes a beating on average..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 04/19/14 at 14:04:19

I have a jacket and over pants from First Gear, this has been a real good investment.  Good quality stuff at a somewhat reasonable price.  With an inner liner you can remove when it is hot and vents in the summer it is a keep.  I would buy it again and would recommend you at least looking at their other products.

www.firstgear-usa.com

jaunt_SIL_front.png

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 04/19/14 at 14:32:33

Ragnar444 wrote on 04/19/14 at 13:23:36:
Thanks for the advice. Here is a website that popped up as an add on facebook that got we wondering. Seemed like a good investment.

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=CPC&utm_con...

I've looked at those too. Seems like they might be worthwhile, but they are kinda pricey.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 04/19/14 at 15:10:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/19/14 at 13:39:46:
All that said, I owuldnt get on a bike w/o leather gloves, cuz you go down, youre usin those hands,,& a full co\verage helmet,, Lookm up the Hurt report, I think thats it, shows where most damage gets done,, & man, the face takes a beating on average..

Yeah, you can get obsessive about the kinds of potential accidents you might get into and end up suiting up like Ironman. Here in AZ when temps hit 115 I'm not wearing a full Kevlar jacket and leathers. But then I don't wear my seat belt in any of my cars, so I'm not a good guage of what's cool with safety....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 04/19/14 at 15:47:53

Temps go past 110' and I try not to go anywhere, even in a car with air... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 04/19/14 at 15:55:48

Draggin' Jeans. The best Kevlar lined pants. They're great.
https://www.dragginjeans.net/
I like that they're long in the leg so when you're on the bike they don't ride up and freeze your ankles.
Any good quality bike jacket with body armour is a good idea. I'm wearing Dri-Rider waxed cotton jacket, which offers decent protection, or an old school brando jacket. My other half wears a modern kit with body armour and I think it saved her grief when she went down the road a while ago. I guess it depends on how lucky you feel on the day? Some people like JoG are pretty lucky I guess.
Gloves, every time.
Helmet, yep.
Boots, if I feel like it.

IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #11 - 04/19/14 at 18:36:29

I use dri rider jacket n trousers,look similar to the jacket in oldNslow's post. On a hot day when ya wear bugger all underneath it,it rubs the hell outta ya when walking around...moral of the story...don't stop or park closer to the door of the bar  Wink (must add here that when on my bike's,it's top shelf raspberry and coke only,alcohol free rider) but the chicks at the bars love the ol savage  Cool

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 04/19/14 at 19:40:16

Best thing I've ever purchased was my leather jacket with the TFL cool system, they are hard to find in the states but well worth the money.  It gets pretty hot here in N.C.  through the summer and the only time I get warm wearing it on the bike is stopped at a long light.  I normally run hot myself, but this jacket is awesome. Besides that FF helmet, full finger gloves vented in the summer, boots with good ankle movement as Serow pointed out, and reinforced jeans or leather pants when it's cold.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 04/19/14 at 23:10:46

The day the government mandates full face helmets is the day my bikes hit the metal shredder... I still take off my helmet as soon as I hit a freedom of choice state or a rally. Hate wearing the things.

At most, half helmet in the spring-summer-fall and a 3/4 shell in the winter. Some kind of torso leather if it is under 80, over 100 degrees F, I'm likely shirtless. Lace on boots or jackboots. Jeans, sometimes with chaps, sometimes without.

Armored leathers or textile? I don't do track days anymore, sent all that junk to the landfill after other riders took what they could use.

If you show up at my house, on a cruiser, wearing a full face helmet, you're leaving on your own... I will not ride with someone who has that much fear.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #14 - 04/20/14 at 07:21:18

Hmmm for me it's not about fear, it's about what if the worst case scenario happens, I want to be there for my son afterwards if it does happen  Wink  that's why I wear a FF helmet, sorry I'm not welcome at your place then WD, I think we'd get on just fine.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:15:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Body armor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.