Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Worm Alerts
04/17/14 at 07:13:08

Phishing attacks are currently all the rage and the post XP evil is on the rise.

So far this week I have been urgently contacted by United States Post Office about my package  (big reply there button for you to mash)

Alexa from Google Services had an urgent message for me (blocked by Firefox -- all known spam sites are blocked automatically on my machine)

We ought to start keeping a headcount of those post XP attacks and mentioning them in this thread
so the other guys can get a heads up.

A phishing attack is generally structured to look like something else.  Example,  be very careful when downloading anything to ONLY GO TO THE ACTUAL ORIGIN SITE TO GO GET IT.  

Phishers love to create sites that are just one letter off the real site name or have the actual real name plus another bit of explanation text so you will go click on it and get directed to their site where you click on a download button and get a belly full of evil for your trouble.

Old-rider got hit with one of these just last week.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Worm Alerts
Reply #1 - 04/17/14 at 07:36:03

been getting those for years in one form or another.
Yep, USPS is new, too bad it was it was from amy at wormsRus dot com.
My spam filter is set so I rarely see a Nigerian inheritance or UN diplomatic money delivery anymore.  And please FBI? give me a break.

don't ever click on a link, not even from a friend or relative.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/17/14 at 09:05:52

I was searching for some legal, proper something or other one evening and my computer got locked up by the FBI.  I had clicked on some link that looked like is was legitimate, and then suddenly the FBI notice came up on the screen.  I was supposed to pay a fine and they would turn my computer back on.  Luckily it was not a sophisticated program and I was able to disable their lock and clean the system.

Kinda scary that people set up scams like that.......and those are probably unskilled amateurs.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 04/17/14 at 09:23:11

Folks like my sister-in-law and mebbe folks like Art are their natural prey.

My sister-in-law was actually going to give her charge card number over to the FBI to pay her fine when her hubby came home from work and stopped her.

Yes, this shite is getting plumb ridiculous.

===============

But it does suggest a minor diversion for the very bored amongst us.

If you have an old spare machine and can get Linux running on it -- go step on these land mines (trigger these things) that we list and
report on the bang sound (if you can even hear it) when running Linux.

..... hey, I said "for the very bored amongst us" and "old spare machine that you can get Linux to run on" didn't I?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 04/17/14 at 20:23:33

I've encountered phishing attack where the name is exactly the same as the site you actualy want, but the search result  design is different
luckily I had already seen old rider post re phishing attacks

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 04/17/14 at 23:05:05

I found one of those missed delivery scams in my junk mail box..
darn if I remember what os I have
got a couple of infested hard drives sittin here from other worms over the years..

btw read last week the movie die hard is older than the www
gimme another beer

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #6 - 04/19/14 at 04:57:45

Dave wrote on 04/17/14 at 09:05:52:
I was searching for some legal, proper something or other one evening and my computer got locked up by the FBI.  I had clicked on some link that looked like is was legitimate, and then suddenly the FBI notice came up on the screen.  I was supposed to pay a fine and they would turn my computer back on.  Luckily it was not a sophisticated program and I was able to disable their lock and clean the system.

Kinda scary that people set up scams like that.......and those are
probably unskilled amateurs.

Had that happen when I first got my savage before finding this site,looked up some page,went out to look at the bike,came back in and the police had locked my computer,had to pay a $100 fine to unlock it,rrr nup,not the stupid,turned it off and restarted in safe mode and rolled back to a previous system update,ran anti virus and cc cleaner while in safe mode,simple fix.

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 04/20/14 at 03:42:39

You had an easy one.  Glad you got rid of it with no problem.  I've heard that some of the new hostage-ware out there actually encrypts the entire drive.  The only way to get it back is to get the encryption key or just wipe it and lose whatever was on it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:25:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Worm Alerts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.