Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Under engine air scoop. (Read 685 times)
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Under engine air scoop.
Reply #45 - 06/03/14 at 23:18:40

I always intended on making this via a female mold,  mainly because  I want a near perfect finish straight out of the mold.   I also figured some would be interested in this too so I plan on producing more.   I'm pretty sure I know how I want to secure this to the frame,  but any suggestions on open to.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #46 - 06/03/14 at 23:24:02

YoungSavage wrote on 06/03/14 at 23:01:45:
If after all of this work you find that you'll be making more of these I would definitely be in the running to buy one. Love that look.

Thanks!   It's still a work in process,  some fine details I need to work out.   I kind of got put at a dead stop when my spark plug just broke off in my cylinder head...   Trying to fix that first then I'll get right back to this.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #47 - 06/04/14 at 00:54:43

A few comments from one who's ridden quite a few bikes with air scoops:

- the air scoop will keep your running temperatures warmer/hotter when your ride slowly, i.e. in city traffic; that is because the amount of air wich cools the sump with the scoop, at low speeds, is less than the amount of air without the scoop;
stop at a traffic light for too long and the sump will fry...

- the air scoop works wonders provided the "hole" and the area under the sump match a predetermined ratio, creating a venturi; in other words the "hole" has a size => area, and the area under the sump has a volume:
given the "area/volume" ratio, the lower the number, the higher the cooling factor, until a certain point, after which the venturi effect of the scoop becomes marginal and you're better off without it...
You need to find a good book on venturis to understand the principles, that is why most good quality air scoops are dedicated to a specific make&model, it's not about the mounting brackets... Wink

- the air scoop also has an aerodynamic function, as it keeps the front wheel down, but this makes sense only if you ride a cafe racer... real fast! At 60mph, on a cruiser, it won't help at all, as most of the weight is on the rear tire anyway.

Having said that, I need to point out that the "RIZLA+" on the blue cafe racer Savage in Page 1 is NOT the rider's call sign, it's the sponsor (real or wannabe).

Suzukis make wonderful clubman racers... and RIZLA+ is rice paper for rolling you own...  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 06/04/14 at 10:15:03

That's good info to know.   I haven't finished my design but I did plan on having an opening as you described,  but now I will research it much more.   I knew immediately after trying to find the thread it wasn't his user name,  but what you said,  just never bothered to correct it.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 07/04/14 at 15:52:24

So obviously behind on my project.   School and my recent trouble with my spark plug incident has put me way behind.   I'm going to try and get this finished soon.   Just out of curiosity,  will the miserable humidity and heat of Houston affect my fiberglassing?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:20:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Under engine air scoop.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.