Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Under engine air scoop. (Read 685 times)
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Under engine air scoop.
04/16/14 at 18:13:27

I asked before if the universal under engine air scoop that you can get from a number of online stores would work with the Savage,  to which it was pointed out to me not likely as we have the forward controls in the way.   Well i'm on a fiberglass kick right now,  and while I do have another thread about building a gas tank,  this is what I will get my first practice on.   So I'll be posting pics and updates on my build.   If it works out well and people show interest I'll create more for sale,  but essentially I'm going for this look,  but it'll be a direct fit for our little thumpers.

m705.jpg
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Under engine air scoop.
Reply #1 - 04/16/14 at 18:14:30

Here is a pic I found,  not my work but should look like this,  just better!

m3HqOOI6C_czBf69sGoJNlQ.jpg
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 04/16/14 at 19:27:10

Anything can work with enough time and ingenuity  Cool

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/17/14 at 06:38:43

Saw a fella build himself a bread box once.. Didnt really have the right materials for starters. BUT, he wanted him a bread box.. He started with an old anvil he'd paid $400.00 for,, & went to work, Meltin & pouring sheets. Musta had $3,000.00 worth O time & oxygen & acetylene in that $400.00 anvil before he finished building his bread box,, but he had him a bread box, by golly!

The above story is false, written not solely for entertainment purposes, but also for illustrative purposes. Yes, we CAN build things. Sometimes, the time & materials invested pay out, sometimes not,, Ive built a few things "Gonna save a few bucks",, when I could just bought what I wanted,, & Actually saved some $$$,, Will I Still make those mistakes? Maybe,,, But I am more aware of just how easy it is to go backwards now.
If you step off in it, I wish ya well,,
If youre thinking of allowing it to hang down much below the frame I suggest you go to the most aggressive speed bump you know of & check clearances before ya build anything,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 04/17/14 at 09:45:30

Heh...if I had a nickel for every project I failed on....

I'm one of the school of "I can build that"!  but have learned over the years now to scrounge around and find a "prebuild" before actually attempting the real thing...

Not sure other than visual why the savage/s40 would need a scoop, but if it is pleasing in your eyes  "do it"... look at mine... lots of fellas think i'm nutz cause I put a big ol' Harley box on mine...but I like it!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Doody814

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #5 - 04/17/14 at 11:41:12

old_rider wrote on 04/17/14 at 09:45:30:
...but I like it!

And that, my friends, is the point! That's what customization is all about, having something that YOU like.  If I wanted what everyone else had, I'd have something that rymns with Schmarley Schmavidson  Smiley

Go for it dude!  If it works, you've got a one of a kind...if it don't, you still have a one of a kind, just without a cool looking homemade air scoop.  Grin

Sometimes when you've looked at everything, the problem ends up being the loose nut on the seat!
  IP Logged
tical
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/18/14 at 11:08:17

i would love one, i have a tool bag there now cause it just looks like something should be there

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #7 - 04/18/14 at 11:15:02

Aren't these a sports bike thing? Like come out of the styling of bikes that can actually go fast?  Wink

IP Logged
tical
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/18/14 at 13:20:32

its a personal preference thing!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 04/18/14 at 21:14:11

If done right, it might direct a little more air over the bottom of the engine and keep the oil a little cooler.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/18/14 at 21:55:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/17/14 at 06:38:43:
Saw a fella build himself a bread box once.. Didnt really have the right materials for starters. BUT, he wanted him a bread box.. He started with an old anvil he'd paid $400.00 for,, & went to work, Meltin & pouring sheets. Musta had $3,000.00 worth O time & oxygen & acetylene in that $400.00 anvil before he finished building his bread box,, but he had him a bread box, by golly!

The above story is false, written not solely for entertainment purposes, but also for illustrative purposes. Yes, we CAN build things. Sometimes, the time & materials invested pay out, sometimes not,, Ive built a few things "Gonna save a few bucks",, when I could just bought what I wanted,, & Actually saved some $$$,, Will I Still make those mistakes? Maybe,,, But I am more aware of just how easy it is to go backwards now.
If you step off in it, I wish ya well,,
If youre thinking of allowing it to hang down much below the frame I suggest you go to the most aggressive speed bump you know of & check clearances before ya build anything,,

I plan on keeping the lower part of the air scoop level of not very slightly above the frame.   Most it is going to hug the frame,  but I'm aware of what to watch out on for my part.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #11 - 04/19/14 at 02:25:09

Go for it - i'm dead curious to see what it looks like.
Is there some bobber/sportsbike cult look goin on over on ur side of the pond? Or is this for cafe style conversion?

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/19/14 at 12:06:10

strang wrote on 04/19/14 at 02:25:09:
Go for it - i'm dead curious to see what it looks like.
Is there some bobber/sportsbike cult look goin on over on ur side of the pond? Or is this for cafe style conversion?

I wouldn't really say Bobber / Sport bike look really.   There is definitely a Cafe / Brat Style / Bobber scene over here.   The addition of the air scoop certainly is a sport bike inspired look,  but I didn't get the idea from looking at sport bikes.   There are a few cafe bikes I've seen that have lots of front end fender parts.   I do think this will aid slightly in engine cooling but it's mainly for aesthetics.   Here is a bike I got some inspiration from.  Notice how it's got the extra sport fairings, but still a cafe bike.  

images_004.jpg
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/19/14 at 14:22:00

Good use of the universal one you can buy now.

download_001.jpg
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/28/14 at 20:46:46

So I've started sculpting my foam and have a rough shape worked out.   I'm currently at my university library taking a break and coincidentally came across a picture I downloaded a while from a build thread on this site.   I don't remember it but I hope someone does and can link the thread.   It's a seriously insane Savage.   The guy I remember modified the frame in a way I've never seen,  and in doing so he was able to do a few other things I've mentioned really wanting to do on this bike.   He has a CANTILEVER rear swing arm allowing for bigger / wider tires with rear disc break (I've been dying to have those two things on my bike,  though if it was possible,  for the rear disc break I think the ultimate cool factor is what 'Trucker'  did with the disc, mounting it to the front sprocket,  seriously like the most incredible fabrication I've ever seen...)   Ok so back to the topic,  he also has what I believe is a custom made under engine air scoop.   Though I honestly don't remember if he made it or moded it from another bike.   The front and back are from like a CBR900 or an R6 or something to that effect so he could have got it off one of them.   I don't know,  like I said,  hopefully one of y'all recognize this build and can post the thread link here.   On the air scoop it says 'RIZLA'  so that might be his user name.   Ok,  enough talk I'll post the pic and gotta get back to studying for finals.

1398742881232.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:21:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Under engine air scoop.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.