Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
brakes woes (Read 340 times)
JBK

MS
Re: brakes woes
Reply #15 - 04/19/14 at 16:52:38

popped the tops on batt.  juice was low.  with batt hooked to charger, bike
turns over strong.  take off and you have to have your nose up to the headlight to see any kind of light.  so gonna hook up a new one and start there.  also, should there be any concern about the little bit of white smoke?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #16 - 04/19/14 at 17:40:27

Quote:
with batt hooked to charger, bike
turns over strong.

What kind of charger - how may amps? Hooked to a charger I would have expected it to start. Just like jump starting a car with a dead battery. Unless it's just a trickle charger.  1or2 amps. That still probably isn't enough current, especially if the battery is toast.

Quote:
i did do the oil plug fix over the winter, but everything went back together fine

Has the bike run since you put it back together?

I think the next simple thing is a shot of starting fluid into the intake side of the carb like S-P suggested. See if you can get it to fire at all.

I wouldn't worry too much about the smoke till it's running.

IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #17 - 04/19/14 at 20:55:54

charger being my car.  without it the bikes batt is all but dead. lights past dim and no turn over.  with everything seems strong.  and today is first time bikes been turned over since dec.  my dumb self didnt take care of the batt as i should.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #18 - 04/20/14 at 08:14:52

Quote:
charger being my car.

Jumping from a car battery, assuming everything else (spark, fuel etc) is OK I think it should have started.

Did you try some starting fluid so see it it would fire at all?

Did you check the valve clearances after you put the head cover back on after fixing the
head plug leak?

IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #19 - 04/20/14 at 20:41:18

havent tried starting fluid yet.  and didnt even cross my mind to check valves.  would that make a bike not crank?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #20 - 04/21/14 at 05:00:06

JBK wrote on 04/20/14 at 20:41:18:
havent tried starting fluid yet.  and didnt even cross my mind to check valves.  would that make a bike not crank?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1325991352

Could make it hard to start, or not start at all if they are far enough out of adjustment. Anyway It looks like you have looked at everything else. It's worth checking IMO, especially since you had the head cover off.

IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #21 - 04/21/14 at 17:41:28

ive adjusted them before so im familiar with them.  ill pop the tank off and check em.  po is a mechanic and he thinks fuel is not getting t owhere it needs to to fire engine.  about to clean up the carb for starters

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #22 - 04/21/14 at 17:52:43

Quote:
po is a mechanic and he thinks fuel is not getting t owhere it needs to to fire engine.  about to clean up the carb for starters

That's the reason for trying a blast of starter fluid into the carb intake. If the bike will run - even for a few seconds-  on that, you've confirmed that it's a fuel problem.

IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #23 - 04/21/14 at 21:09:46

no go on the starter fluid.  made no change.  did notice lights on bike dimmed greatly when i tried.  even when hooked up to car.  im running out of options here

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #24 - 04/22/14 at 05:25:35

JBK wrote on 04/21/14 at 21:09:46:
no go on the starter fluid.  made no change.  did notice lights on bike dimmed greatly when i tried.  even when hooked up to car.  im running out of options here

Not really. I think you might be just overlooking something simple or assuming something is OK when it's really not.

For the bike to run you need:

1. A battery that is capable of cranking the engine fast enough, and that also has enough juice while running the starter motor to fire the spark plug.

2. A combustible fuel/air mixture being introduced into the combustion chamber.

3.The valves have to be open when they should be and closed when they should be. They have to be CLOSED at TDC on the compression stroke.

4: Adequate compression - no broken rings, piston etc. which I'm pretty sure is not the problem here.

If those conditions exist the engine has got to run.

I think you need to verify that all the things you think are OK are actually OK, starting with the battery.

I don't know of any other way to figure this out except rechecking the things I mentioned above until you are positive the you've eliminated each one as the issue.

IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #25 - 04/22/14 at 11:21:59

I'll start with battery, then carb, then valves.  Will update as I go.

IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #26 - 04/23/14 at 17:33:33

New battery in. Still nothing.  Turns over strong. On to carb.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #27 - 04/23/14 at 18:22:19

JBK wrote on 04/23/14 at 17:33:33:
New battery in. Still nothing.  Turns over strong. On to carb.

I'd double check the plug first. Pull it out, ground it to the head, crank the motor and make sure you see a good spark. You don't know the plug is firing till you SEE that it's firing. If it is, then put it back in and try the starter fluid.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #28 - 04/23/14 at 19:28:35

After you clean the plug... check for spark..got power?

Make sure your petc0ck is off, remove the tube from the carb...turn on your petc0ck..fuel?

Put the tube back on, turn on your petc0ck....open the drain on your fuel bowl... fuel?

Tap your fuel bowl or take it off and see if the float needle drops ( it could be sticking)

Safety switches.... clutch, kickstand and neutral....

After that i'm lost.... only thing left would be the decomp....that I can think of....

Here is to hoping you find it....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #29 - 04/23/14 at 20:22:54

Carbs cleaned thoroughly and still nothing.  Got fuel coming from petcock and floats not sticking.  So I'm guessing it's getting fuel where needed.  Will try plug next.  Although it's fairly new.  Then valves then retrace my electrical.  It ran fine before the teardown.  So hoping I put something back wrong.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:39:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › brakes woes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.