Send Topic Print
rear sportster wheel? (Read 139 times)
blueknight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

rear sportster wheel?
04/15/14 at 15:32:33

Im in the middle of a bobber build and Im looking at switching up wheels again. Has anyone tried to fit up a sportster rear wheel? I have never swapped wheels on a bike before so this is new territory for me. is it as simple as axle, bearing, and hub size?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: rear sportster wheel?
Reply #1 - 04/15/14 at 16:05:47

Noop...  you got drive pulley and brake to deal with....

Best to have a new rim laced to yer' old hub....  $300 to $500....
... (best to leave it alone)...  Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 04/15/14 at 16:43:36

Quote:
Noop...  you got drive pulley and brake to deal with...

I can't think of anything special about a sportster wheel that would make trying to put one on a Savage worth the trouble anyway.

IP Logged
blueknight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/15/14 at 17:06:06

I came across a sprotor kit at a killer price that is hard to pass up, only down fall is its for a sporty wheel and by the time I machine out a plate to graph it to my hub it would push the chain to far out.

IP Logged
blueknight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/15/14 at 17:07:53

what it comes down to is the bike has to go to chain drive and im trying to update the brake system to hydraulic with a rotor.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/15/14 at 23:10:08

What it comes down to,.. is...
Originally, you asked about swapping to a new wheel... and you'd never done this before...
Answer:... It ain't easy...

Now, you're machining parts for the hub,... changing wheels, and converting from a drum to a rotor... and going to chain drive...

You are either so naive that you have no idea...
..or, your original question was a herring...

If you can do this, and think it's worth the bother... do it...
If you are dreaming,.. stop it... it ain't goin' to go like your dream...

I would keep in mind, that rear braking is less than 30% of total braking potential, and a Savage doesn't have that much potential to start with... so rear is more like less than 10%...
So,.. a rear disc, is basically cosmetic... as is a wheel change...
..(a taller wheel will just require a narrower and lower profile tire,.. negating any significant geometric change)...(a few more tire options at 16" and 17", but, again, basically cosmetic)...
Unless,.. you're also going to redesign the swingarm...

Mostly,.. an exercise in "differentness"...
Metal masturbation... Huh...

If you try it... take pics...
If you're really a newb to this... take video too...
We'd love to see...
Grin..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
blueknight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/16/14 at 02:55:39

No disrepect man but I was just putting some feelers out there to see if anyone had atempted the swap and maybe some positive advise. However, it seems the purist here don't seem to support someone new thinking outside the box.

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #7 - 04/16/14 at 03:42:38

To be honest.. I got some experience with ideas that just ended up costing money and didn't work out as I imagined.. Now, I don't know anything about you, or your project so, but ill just give you the advice I can  Smiley.. Go slow, and do aaall the research you possibly can, instead of just jumping into something.. A good thing to start with, is looking at alot of bikes and make small decisions on what you like and what you don't and then collect it all to get an idea on how the final project would turn out.. You will quite possibly end up finding that maybe the stock wheels are perfect as they are, for what you had in mind.. I see alot of custom projects on the net with people doing massive mods on their bikes but end up with something that just doesn't look right..

When it comes to custom, it's not about doing alot, it's about doing it RIGHT!!!  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/16/14 at 04:22:10

Looking at your build thread......it appears you have abilities that are beyond what most folks new to this site have.  The wheel change and rear disc brake ideas generally are asked by Noobs that have no idea the work that is involved, no welder, no lathe, no milling machine and no ability to make any of the needed changes.  With the Voodoo hardtail work you are doing - it is possible that you could have the ability.  Adding a disc not only involves getting the disc on the wheel - you need to add a caliper mount and then figure out how to adapt a brake pedal, master cylinder and plumbing.  And when all that is done you could end up with a brake system that doesn't brake well as the pedal effort may be too soft or too strong to have smooth braking.

I have only seen a couple of examples of disc brake wheels being installed on a Savage - and both of those were full custom bikes that may actually not be ridden.  One had the disc brake mounted on the countershaft, and the other one had gone to a monoshock rear suspension by grafting on a sport bike rear end complete with wheel and braking system.

I am kinda weird in that I would want both front and rear wheels to match.  If I was using a Sportster rear wheel I would want the matching front wheel.  For me the easiest way to switch wheels is to use the stock hubs and respoke the hubs to use whatever size wheels I want to use.  From what I understand the Voodoo hardtail gets a bit too low when using the 15" Savage rear wheel, and it is better to get a taller wheel to get the frame up off the ground a bit.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 04/16/14 at 07:20:52

blueknight wrote on 04/16/14 at 02:55:39:
However, it seems the purist here don't seem to support someone new thinking outside the box.

Not all here are purists...check out the Savage built by Truckinduc

He went much further than just changing the brake setup...  Cool

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1264727267/0

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 04/16/14 at 07:51:53

Heck, cut it up and make it work... Realistically, unless you find a fan of them, the Savage/S40 is a throwaway bike.

My 98 got wrecked hard back in 2005, stepson had a 35mph layover. Pouring rain, oiled road... Holed the gas tank, pretzeled the rear fender, shattered a bunch of lights...

So, I took it back and have been tinkering with it since the electrical system crapped out in 2010.

Stock is boring, the bike has zero collector potential, in stock trim it is uncomfortable...

I do belong to another international motorcycle forum. For some reason, people in Australia, New Zealand and Europe seem fascinated by my project bike. They've been stedily blowing up my PM box for the last couple years wanting to buy it...

I like the big FL bars on the project so much that yesterday I added a set to the 2003 I've owned for a week and a half.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 04/16/14 at 08:05:09

I wrote:

Quote:
I can't think of anything special about a sportster wheel that would make trying to put one on a Savage worth the trouble anyway.

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend anyone. And I'm not a purist at all. If you can make it work go for it. But I stand by what I said. I've yet to see a stock sportster wheel that looked to me like anything other than something to mount a tire on. Wink

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 04/17/14 at 03:42:20

Not purist; like Dave was saying; all depends on skill level and available tools.  I get lots of ideas going through my head but I don't have the skills or tools to do stuff like Dave and others with similar skill sets.  Sure wish I  could though.
We LOVE to see finely crafted machines, so if you can do it...then have at it man !

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 04/17/14 at 04:42:36

Just about anything is possible with time, money and skills.  The real question "Is it worth the time and effort?"  I personally find it therapeutic to tinker and wrench, don't worry what anyone else thinks as long as it makes you happy. That being said make sure what you do either suits you personal needs unless you plan on ever selling the bike, in that case you need to think as an investor   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:29:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear sportster wheel?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.