Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
S40 won't start after keeping out for long winter (Read 140 times)
savageboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

S40 won't start after keeping out for long winter
04/14/14 at 20:35:08

I have a 2006 Suzuki S40 (savage) and kept it out for a long snowy winter. Didn't start it for about 4 months nor did I winterize my bike. Tried to start it for the first time after 3 to 4 months and The engine wouldn't start. It kept trying and can hear the clicking noise but the bike just won't start. I recharged the battery and tried again and the only way I can get the bike to start is if I opened the throttle. Once I stopped giving it gas the bike would die. I smell a strong fuel smell and notice leaks on the floor. Since my battery is fully charged, i figured it might be bad gas. I will drain out the fuel tomorrow and refill with fresh fuel and will update the status. Perhaps it can be the carburetor? Don't know much about that area

Another weird thing is everytime i set the petcock to PRI it will leak from a tube with no end cap and not connected to anything. It's just a open tube coming from the tank I think and goes right underneath the seat.  It just pours out to the floor. When I put the peacock back on Resv or fuel it doesn't leak.

Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: S40 won't start after keeping out for long win
Reply #1 - 04/14/14 at 21:04:31

There's a tube that goes from the petcock to the right side of the carb. If that's leaking, the petcock is shot. Replace it with a manual Raptor petcock ($20-$25).

Check the right side of the carb and see if there's an uncovered nipple.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/14/14 at 21:30:05

you need to locate the origin of the leaking tube.
if it's a vent tube, your float valves stuck open.
if it's the vac tube, then petcock bad.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

probably need to do a carb clean.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

WWW   IP Logged
savageboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/15/14 at 06:30:34

Its a uncovered tube that goes from the gas tank (i think) all the way to right below the seat. It doesn't have a nipple on it. I'm confused to what it is. When i turn the petcock to PRI gas just pours right out to the side of my bike straight down to the floor. It is on the left side of the bike btw.

Now I unhooked the fuel line from the petcock going to the carb and when I put it on PRI it drains through that tube but no longer the uncovered tube I mentioned above
I'm confused

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/15/14 at 06:45:45

It sounds to me like the vacuum line to your petcock is not attached to the fitting on the carb where it orignally was connected, and the diaprhagm is bad and allowing fuel to flow out the vacuum line.....where fuel is not supposed to flow.

You can most likely plug the extra tube so fuel does not flow out, then set the petcock on prime to see if the bike will run.  Make sure the nipple on the carb where the vacuum line is supposed to be connected is capped off or else you will have a vacuum leak and the bike most likely will not start or run properly.

It sounds to me like you need to update to a Raptor petcock.  Here is a link to the videos that may help you see what the problem hose is (vacuum hose), and see what is involved in installing the Raptor.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1315418285

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 04/15/14 at 07:58:17

savageboy wrote on 04/15/14 at 06:30:34:
Its a uncovered tube that goes from the gas tank (i think) all the way to right below the seat. It doesn't have a nipple on it. I'm confused to what it is. When i turn the petcock to PRI gas just pours right out to the side of my bike straight down to the floor. It is on the left side of the bike btw.

Now I unhooked the fuel line from the petcock going to the carb and when I put it on PRI it drains through that tube but no longer the uncovered tube I mentioned above
I'm confused

Actually that makes sense. If you disconnect the line from the tank to the carb, no gas can run through the carb and out that loose tube. So you have gas coming out of the tank (good), but something in your carb is not stopping the gas when the float bowl at the bottom of the carb fills up so it is just running through the carb and escaping where ever it can. There are three tubes that come out of your carb. One is a vaccuum tube that operates your stock petcock. It runs to the right side of the bike and connects to a little nipple by the carb. There are two other black tubes that run off the top of the carb and are usually routed to underneath the seat or underneath the tank. These are vent tubes. It is possible one of those is leaking the gas.  You need to identify which of these lines is leaking gas. You might try tapping on the float bowl of the carb with the back end of a screwdriver (give it a couple three good whacks) and see if that frees up the float. If that is stuck it would cause a problem like this.

IP Logged
Suzukisavvy

You're Droolin,
While I'm Spoolin

Nebraska, USA
Reply #6 - 04/15/14 at 08:17:03

Its not the drain plug on the bottom of the carb? happened to me when i drained the carb and didnt tighten the plug properly.

In my creepy robot voice.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/15/14 at 09:44:21

At a minimum Id dump the gas. Put it in a gas can & save it, its not "done". Drain the carb bowl. Get the battery out, check the water, take it, have it tested. Put a gallon of fresh gas in, open the petcock to prime, let fuel drain out of the bowl into a clear catch jar. LOOK at it,,If its still nappy lookin, let it fill & drain it a coupla times.. You may hafta clean jets, maybe not,, But youve gotta get the valve seated & stop it from dumping gas out the vent, if thats where its going,, You get the carb acting right & get a known good battery in it with known good gas & see whats next, but get the gas/battery variables out of the equation first, If it doesnt wanna play then, shoot some ether into the air cleaner & prove youve got fire. If it tries to run on ether but wont run w/o it, then its time to yank the carb,
Do what the others said about bangin on the carb & checkin hoses,,& do Seriously consider a Raptor. As far as Im concerned a Raptor & the Versy cam chain mod are just required for keeping & enjoying one of these as hassle free as possible.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savageboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/16/14 at 10:58:42

Hey brothers, update time.
Came out this morning and someone had knocked over my bike. Right signal light and right rearview mirror snapped off. Assholes have no compassion for another man's pride.

So I drained the whole gas and filled up with fresh. So won't start. The engine starts if I open the throttle but once I let go it stops.

I think it has to be the carb. I screwed in the little screw on the bottom of the carb and when I put the petcock on run, it leaks from there.
If I put the petcock in PRI it leaks not from the tube from the carb to the gas tank, but the tube from the carb that doesn't connect to anything and doesn't have a plug. Its just the copper nipple the sits on top of the carb on the right side

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 04/16/14 at 11:06:16

Dang people... no respect...what so ever...sigh... it is easy fix tho... look in the for sale section for cheap stuff...

Should try adding some pictures of it... i'm having a hard time seeing it in my head.

Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #10 - 04/16/14 at 16:07:26

savageboy wrote on 04/16/14 at 10:58:42:
it leaks not from the tube from the carb to the gas tank, but the tube from the carb that doesn't connect to anything and doesn't have a plug. Its just the copper nipple the sits on top of the carb on the right side

That sounds like one of your vent tubes. So more than likely your float is stuck or something is keeping gas from going out of the carb into the engine and it is exiting through your vent. Sounds like a carb dismantle and good cleaning.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:29:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 won't start after keeping out for long winter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.