Send Topic Print
Lower cruising RPM (Read 157 times)
Suzukisavvy

You're Droolin,
While I'm Spoolin

Nebraska, USA
Lower cruising RPM
04/14/14 at 12:22:55

How can i lower the rpm when going 60 mph? would the bike handle it? will it save gas? The bike im looking to do this on is a 1998 LS650. Can it work!? 8-)

In my creepy robot voice.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Lower cruising RPM
Reply #1 - 04/14/14 at 12:52:18

What is your purpose for doing so?

WWW   IP Logged
Suzukisavvy

You're Droolin,
While I'm Spoolin

Nebraska, USA
Reply #2 - 04/14/14 at 13:14:51

less vibration and possibly better MPG and the max torque and max HP are at a higher speed Cool

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 04/14/14 at 13:59:05

The only practical way to do what you want to do is covert the final drive from the belt to a chain. Then you can experiment with sprocket sizes to maybe get what you want. I don't think there is any way to make those adjustments with the belt and pulleys.

This link might help:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1174239333

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 04/14/14 at 14:01:02

Ryca also has a chain conversion but I don't know anything about what ratios are available.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/14/14 at 14:43:02

What rear tire is on it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/14/14 at 14:56:30

Suzukisavvy wrote on 04/14/14 at 13:14:51:
less vibration and possibly better MPG and the max torque and max HP are at a higher speed Cool

You can do more with chain, but you'll add a lot of maintenance.

We've found a Kawa pulley you can modify, but it's not the easiest mod to do.
You can get a taller tire, a shade over 26" in diameter is the biggest you can fit.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1341164470/0

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/14/14 at 15:25:36

If you realllly want it.....and willing to work for it.....it can be done with a belt and a couple of Kawasaki pulleys.  You have a choice of just doing the front pulley and dropping about 320 rpms at 60mph.  You can also do both the front and back and drop a total of 476 rpms.  On my bike I have done both pulleys and an 18" wheel, and I turn about 3,030 rpms at 60.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1384949185

You have to have access to a milling machine or lathe with carbide cutting tools to do it well.

So far there are only two of us that have done this modification.  MMRanch has probably logged the most miles to date....I am still fighting winter and our riding season has not yet begun and and snow is coming tonight.  I have only ridden about 20 miles since doing the conversion.....and the gears are really tall.  I think I am going to like it - but it is still a bit early to tell.  I suggest you start with the front pulley if you want to keep the belt.....then do the back pulley next.  Also if you are doing a Cafe' conversion the larger tire helps - however if you are doing the 18" wheel and the large front pulley, you have to modify the swing arm for clearance.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Suzukisavvy

You're Droolin,
While I'm Spoolin

Nebraska, USA
Reply #8 - 04/15/14 at 07:55:43

Its the stock tire on the back. Do you think i could get 17/43 sprockets off of ebay? Grin

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 04/15/14 at 08:20:06

Suzukisavvy wrote on 04/15/14 at 07:55:43:
Its the stock tire on the back. Do you think i could get 17/43 sprockets off of ebay? Grin

Probably. I just checked the RYCA web site and you can also get 17 and 43 tooth sprockets from them. I don't have any idea if the prices are high or low though.

http://shop.rycamotors.com/front_sprocket_17tooth.html

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/15/14 at 08:31:53

Suzukisavvy wrote on 04/15/14 at 07:55:43:

As long as you know what you need to buy, you can get it anywhere that those parts are available.

oldNslow provided you a link to the chain conversion thread....and they tell you what you need in that thread.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1174239333

You just have to be certain you are ordering the correct parts....and that the pitch of the sprocket teeth matches the pitch of the chain you order. Front sprockets often have a fairly common hole for the countershaft - but can come in a lot of different chain pitches.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 04/15/14 at 09:34:52

The stock rear wont last forever, slap a Dunlop on it. Theyre a little taller & correct the speedo pretty good & lower the rpm some,, mite be enough to make ya happy..save a ton O $$ & hassle if it does. & youll be riding more than wrenching AND be on a much better piece of rubber,,If not, well,, you can always do the chain or pulley swaps later.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 04/15/14 at 10:12:18

Keep in mind,.. that a stock Savage is almost lugging at 50mph in 5th gear...
It is very comfortable  going 60mph... (if you gear up too much, I would recommend  using 4th gear at 60mph)...

Changing gearing will not make a Savage sound as lazy as a Harley....  ...these engines are different, and run at different rpm's...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 04/15/14 at 10:16:24

& if someone wants that HD sound at idle & slows the idle down, its gonna ruin the head,,cuz the oil wont get to the cam right..

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 04/15/14 at 17:50:24

I don't have any facts to support this, so take this with a grain of salt, but a single cylinder engine needs a few more RPMs than a twin in order to be happy. I guess you could say that the engine isn't over revving -- the rider is underestimating.  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:33:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lower cruising RPM

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.