Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Risks of running on rich side :) ? (Read 138 times)
Henrik

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden, Jönköping
Risks of running on rich side :) ?
04/14/14 at 07:24:07

Heres the thing, i have jetted my carb 155/50 and made the white spacer modification (2 shims). My bike has K&N open airfilter and i have changed the stock muffler with a short pipe that is rather open. It runs great but when looking at what is recomended it seems that i maybe running the bike a litle to rich. Did the test with fuel/air mixture screw and I could turn it all the way in whitout the bike dying on idle. Now i run it 1,5 half turns out (highest idle setting) and it feels good. Not so much backfiring as i had before. What are the risks of running the bike to rich over time?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Risks of running on rich side :) ?
Reply #1 - 04/14/14 at 07:28:56

Fouled plug, carboned up piston and valves, loose carbon gettng stuck under a valve, premature ring and cylinder wear from excess fuel washing oil off cylinder walls, carbon stuck rings in piston, carbon scoring piston skirt and cylinder walls.....just depends how overly rich it is.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Henrik

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden, Jönköping
Reply #2 - 04/14/14 at 07:53:53

How could i best determine if it is to rich? It feels and sonds good.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/14/14 at 08:32:17

Henrik wrote on 04/14/14 at 07:53:53:
How could i best determine if it is to rich? It feels and sonds good.

http://www.zrxoa.org/webpages/techinfo/carb/carbtuning.html

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 04/14/14 at 09:31:03

Dave wrote on 04/14/14 at 07:28:56:
Fouled plug, carboned up piston and valves, loose carbon gettng stuck under a valve, premature ring and cylinder wear from excess fuel washing oil off cylinder walls, carbon stuck rings in piston, carbon scoring piston skirt and cylinder walls.....just depends how overly rich it is.

Interesting, how about too lean.  Thanks Dave!

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/14/14 at 09:56:18

Too lean:

Mildly lean: Poor acceleraration, hunting/surging and won't hold a steady speed at a steady throttle setting, backfire through carb or pop/bang out the exhaust, stalls when throttle is closed.

Really lean:    Burned exhaust valves, spark plug electode burned away, burned hole in piston.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 04/14/14 at 09:58:00

pg wrote on 04/14/14 at 09:31:03:
Dave wrote on 04/14/14 at 07:28:56:

Interesting, how about too lean.  Thanks Dave!

Burnt valve/s, holed piston, shattered sparkplug, shattered piston, cracked head, cracked cylinder... all kinds of "fun" issues can pop up.

I ran my 98 with 155/55 jetting for a few years. 36mpg and smoked like an old tractor trailer. On the very rare occasion that I got an after fire, it would shoot several feet of flames out the tail pipe... And even at that rich a setting, the exhaust valves look cooked/ceramic coated...

It is now jetted as small as you can go from a Lancer kit. Once back on the road, I expect it to need 152.5/52.5 courtesy of the pipe and modified air box.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 04/14/14 at 10:18:14

Thanks WD.  I am at a comparable elevation and I have the standard jets in now.  Runs great with the Dyna and KN drop in.  Please let me know how yours runs once you get it set-up.  When I get time I'm going to adjust the valves, put on Versy's cam chain tensioner and maybe rejet.  

Hey, I saw your bike on craigslist.   Grin

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 04/14/14 at 16:52:08

pg wrote on 04/14/14 at 10:18:14:
Thanks WD.  I am at a comparable elevation and I have the standard jets in now.  Runs great with the Dyna and KN drop in.  Please let me know how yours runs once you get it set-up.  When I get time I'm going to adjust the valves, put on Versy's cam chain tensioner and maybe rejet.  

I just changed to a Dyna and cone filter. I re-jetted with Lancer's kit to 2 washers, 52.5 and 152.5.  I'm in Phoenix so about 1200 feet maybe.
The bike runs GREAT, huge difference from stock. I still get a little POOT when I shut it down about 75% of the time. When it is stone cold I'll get a very small pop between gear shifts but that goes away as soon as it warms up. I'm probably getting about 50 mpg around town and I don't ride HARD, but I do like to goose it once in a while.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 04/14/14 at 17:58:14

I am surprised no-one has suggested looking at the plug to see if it is too rich.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/14/14 at 18:27:26

arteacher wrote on 04/14/14 at 17:58:14:
I am surprised no-one has suggested looking at the plug to see if it is too rich.

Up to now nobody ask how you investigate......only what happens "IF".

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 04/14/14 at 18:52:31

... and I always heard,... you can never be too rich, or too young... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 04/14/14 at 19:55:05

Serowbot wrote on 04/14/14 at 18:52:31:
... and I always heard,... you can never be too rich, or too young... Huh...

Guess I'm out on both counts

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 04/15/14 at 00:12:50

pg wrote on 04/14/14 at 10:18:14:

Hey, I saw your bike on craigslist.   Grin

I would expect you did... still need to do a front tire to front tire comparison photo of the 98 and the 03... Hard to believe they are the same platform these days...

I "think" Pine said the 03 has new brakes, but, can't prove it by me, they suck... I did manage to wear more whiskers off the sidewall shoulder already. And the tires are leaving black trails of dust on the sidewalk at work. I think I ride it a bit harder than it is used to.  Grin

And the windshield lasted 4 days. I broke it... in my defense, it was already cracked and age crazed (came off the VN800A I owned a few years ago)... still sucks, need to order a replacement plastic. Memphis Shades stuff is not inexpensive...  Angry No other bike damage, wet grass, slippers and an RV bumper in a thunderstorm make for a lousy combination)...  Embarrassed

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:33:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Risks of running on rich side :) ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.