Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
95 Savage Timing chain Tensioner noise?? (Read 96 times)
newbs88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

95 Savage Timing chain Tensioner noise??
04/13/14 at 22:39:30

I recently bought a 1995 Savage. It seems to run great and only had 5k miles on it. Now the bad news.... it has a rattle sound from the lower end and from what ive read these bikes are bad about the timing chain tensioner going bad. I see they are 65bucks on bikebandit.com for one which is fine with me if it fixes the noise. Has any changed this and had the same problem??? I will be tackling the repair myself so any help on how to make the job go easier would be greatly appreciated/ I will also be adjusting the valves as well because of recommended every 4,000 miles on this bike. Also while im here in the right spot does anyone know where I can find a right side battery cover as mine didn't have one with it. ? Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 95 Savage Timing chain Tensioner noise??
Reply #1 - 04/13/14 at 23:14:51

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/13/14 at 23:15:48

We have a few noises that can fool you...(they can fool me)...
Rule out a headlight bezel ring, speedo housing, drive belt, front belt pulley,... and missing tank mount puck...
5k miles is very, very low, for a stretched camchain...

If it is the camchain... a new stock adjuster will do nothing to fix it...
Check the Marketplace here for a Verslagen modded adjuster...
Get both the pinned and extended hole options...
...(pinned will save your engine, and the extension will more than double chain life)...

... but, I'll venture you ain't there yet... that noise is something else...
...(I hear my camchain rattlin' from my jacket zipper!)... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #3 - 04/14/14 at 06:38:18

verslagen1 wrote on 04/13/14 at 23:14:51:

My 2007 has about 12,000 miles on it, and I'm figuring I'll have to do the cam chain check/mod this season, but I have a 600 mile trip coming up soon and don't' think I'll be able to tackle the job before then. I'm concerned about the came chain getting too loose while I'm on that trip. How many miles, after noticing this level of cam chain ticking, would I be likely to be able to ride before the bike self-destructs?

- David
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 04/14/14 at 07:23:15

[quote
My 2007 has about 12,000 miles on it, and I'm figuring I'll have to do the cam chain check/mod this season, but I have a 600 mile trip coming up soon and don't' think I'll be able to tackle the job before then. I'm concerned about the came chain getting too loose while I'm on that trip. How many miles, after noticing this level of cam chain ticking, would I be likely to be able to ride before the bike self-destructs? [/quote]

Yikes... a high speed tensioner failure and you'll be buying a new bike. I'd take the time to at least pull the clutch cover and visually check it with 12K miles. Shocked

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/14/14 at 07:32:44

DavidOfMA wrote on 04/14/14 at 06:38:18:
My 2007 has about 12,000 miles on it, and I'm figuring I'll have to do the cam chain check/mod this season, but I have a 600 mile trip coming up soon and don't' think I'll be able to tackle the job before then. I'm concerned about the came chain getting too loose while I'm on that trip. How many miles, after noticing this level of cam chain ticking, would I be likely to be able to ride before the bike self-destructs?

At about 18mm out, the plunger starts wobbling and ovaling the hole.
and we estimate you get about 1000 miles per mm at that point.
At about 22mm out, the plunger starts hitting the case.

Right about then you have to ask yourself... did I shoot 6 bullets or 5?
well are ya feeling lucky?

WWW   IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #6 - 04/14/14 at 07:41:25

I understand it's a gamble. Right now, no noise. The question is, if in the middle of my 600 mile trip I start to hear that noise, am I likely to make it home, or do I park the bike and figure out a way to get it home some other way? I won't be able to tackle replacing the tensioner (which, for me, will feel like a major job) until later in the summer.

- David
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/14/14 at 08:53:48

would you start a major trip with a tire that might last until the end?

I under stand wanting to get the full life outta the chain... but you also want to get the full life outta the bike don't cha?

Think of it as a vacation expense, not a day to day expense and the reasoning to replace early becomes clear.

To me replacing the chain is a 2 day event (I've done it a few times)
or a 2 hour event if you go with the verslavy (which I've done many times).  Work an hour or 2, take a break, lunch, movie, race or whatever, then work some more, repeat till it's done.

WWW   IP Logged
newbs88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/14/14 at 13:29:26

can someone send me link to where to purchase the modded tensioner? Ive looked in the marketplace and cant seem to find someone who sells them. Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/14/14 at 13:41:38

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #10 - 04/14/14 at 16:44:25

DavidOfMA wrote on 04/14/14 at 07:41:25:
I understand it's a gamble. Right now, no noise. The question is, if in the middle of my 600 mile trip I start to hear that noise, am I likely to make it home, or do I park the bike and figure out a way to get it home some other way? I won't be able to tackle replacing the tensioner (which, for me, will feel like a major job) until later in the summer.

The tensioner is not that big of a deal, the chain is (IF your bike survives throwing the chain at all).  I replaced my tensioner and had never turned a bolt on a bike before. You're basically removing the exhaust, loosening your footpegs, disconnecting a couple cables and removing the side cover.  It probably took me 4-5 hours because I was reading the forum instructions and being careful to take pictures and arrange my bolts etc. etc.  If nothing else you could take the modded tensioner to a bike shop and have them replace it. Even at 65.00/hr it probably would only take them a couple hours tops to do the job. You'll just want to be sure you have all your new gaskets and oil etc. on hand.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:26:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 95 Savage Timing chain Tensioner noise??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.