Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on the front brake pads (Read 58 times)
s40guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Question on the front brake pads
04/12/14 at 18:13:50

My 2006 S40 has no shims on the brake pads. When I looked up the parts needed for me to replace the brake hose, and rebuild the master cylinder and caliper, I saw that the drawing shows two shims for the brake pas. Since my bike was used I was not sure if someone lost them or if they just are not needed. I also saw the post from someone here on replacing the pads and there was no mention of a shim. The shim is number 15 on bike bandit website. Please let me know if you guys have shims or not and if they are really needed. thanks, S40 Guy.
http://www.bikebandit.com/2006-suzuki-boulevard-s40-ls650/o/m147605#sch510383

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Question on the front brake pads
Reply #1 - 04/12/14 at 18:34:47

when I replaced my brake pads - also an 06 - there were no shims either behind the pads I took off or in the package with the new ones. Brakes worked fine before and after. I don't think you need them. They might have been installed at the factory at some point to try to prevent brake squeal.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: Question on the front brake pads
Reply #2 - 04/12/14 at 21:22:25

I use the bright red anti-squeal lube on the back (piston) side of the pad. just a dab(a finger tip full), and don't get any on the pads or rotors. I bought a bottle of that back in the '90s and it's still more than half full.

No squealing, and it increases the life of the pads by reducing the resonance  between the rotor and the piston - it allows the pad to move a bit against the piston while braking.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:29:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question on the front brake pads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.