Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Feasibility of a long trip on my S40 - (Read 546 times)
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Re: Feasibility of a long trip on my S40 -
Reply #30 - 04/15/14 at 14:00:07

Brunkster wrote on 04/15/14 at 09:15:38:
Any ideas on seat padding?

Al,
I used an Air Hawk II cruiser pad. Picture of bike the way it was set up for the trip. The Saddlemen tail bag has a built in backrest. Memphis Shades Slim windscreen. Routy's forward controls also helped since I am about 6'2".
Keep us posted.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #31 - 04/15/14 at 17:27:57

Blinky-FSO wrote on 04/15/14 at 14:00:07:
Al,
I used an Air Hawk II cruiser pad.

Is this the medium cruiser pad? 14" x 14"?

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #32 - 04/15/14 at 18:18:38

S-P wrote on 04/15/14 at 17:27:57:
Blinky-FSO wrote on 04/15/14 at 14:00:07:
Al,
I used an Air Hawk II cruiser pad.

Is this the medium cruiser pad? 14" x 14"?

I believe it was, yes.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #33 - 04/15/14 at 19:58:33

I'm late to this discussion (too much work at work over the last few days, and too little time at home to read and keep up), but I would have asked about the seating arrangements, specifically what kind of seat is on the bike that is going to be used for the long haul.

As others have suggested, the factory seat on the S40 (and the Savage before it) is pretty weak in terms of padding and comfort.

I put a Corbin on my Savage and like it, though I would note that even with that I feel uncomfortable at times and I'm never going all that far (typically 30 miles or less per trip).  It beats the stock seat by miles, but still isn't a magic bullet.

I have a gel pad that I could put on the bike if I wanted (I bought it when I had the original seat on the bike), but I tend to just use that pad under my butt when I'm surfing the web (like now).  That pad is really too big for the bike seat and overhangs the seat on the bike.  On the other hand it does make my office chair more comfortable Wink

I hadn't thought too much about the roughly 100 miles between fill-ups, but that does sound about right.  Going much further would certainly push the fuel situation more than I'd care to try for, but that said I've actually been running on reserves more frequently than I should be (a couple of round trips to/from work from home pretty much drains the tank and leaves only the reserves.  With so much work lately I've not been as good with the OCD on filling the tank as I should so I've gotten to run on the reserve a couple of times in the last few weeks Sad )

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #34 - 04/15/14 at 22:23:16

Agree with Blinky FSO, an Airhawk helps, I like his backrest idea. A soft bag similar to his will help as well. Mount your gear like he has, if possible so the weight is over the rear wheel rather than behind it. Also learn where the fuses are and perhaps carry a spare headlight bulb, find out how to change all bulbs.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #35 - 04/16/14 at 07:25:34

terpfan1980 wrote on 04/15/14 at 19:58:33:
I hadn't thought too much about the roughly 100 miles between fill-ups, but that does sound about right.  Going much further would certainly push the fuel situation more than I'd care to try for, but that said I've actually been running on reserves more frequently than I should be (a couple of round trips to/from work from home pretty much drains the tank and leaves only the reserves.  With so much work lately I've not been as good with the OCD on filling the tank as I should so I've gotten to run on the reserve a couple of times in the last few weeks Sad )

It's not a bad idea to have to switch to reserve from time to time, that way you keep the petcock moving freely and you know from feel which way you need to turn the lever so that you can do it without hesitation in traffic if/when needed.  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Brunkster
YaBB Newbies

Ft Myers, FL
Reply #36 - 04/22/14 at 10:15:12

Thanks for the info guys (and gals, where applicable).

I'm still kicking this whole idea around vs the "other end of the spectrum".

SW Airlines + $400 = 3hours later, I'm in St Louis.

Thanks again.

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
  IP Logged
Brunkster
YaBB Newbies

Ft Myers, FL
Reply #37 - 06/03/14 at 07:46:36

Brunkster wrote on 04/22/14 at 10:15:12:
Thanks for the info guys (and gals, where applicable).

I'm still kicking this whole idea around vs the "other end of the spectrum".

SW Airlines + $400 = 3hours later, I'm in St Louis.

Thanks again.

Well, this time SW Airlines wins.

I got to looking at what I was gonna spend on some new upgraded gear for safety and comfort, plus at least 2 nights each way in a motel room, and any fuel savings I would enjoy was soon gobbled up.

Got a round trip ticket Ft Myers to St Louis for $380. Done deal.

In the future, however, I do still want to take an extended trip - just not this time.

Thanks for all the input.

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:34:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Feasibility of a long trip on my S40 -

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.