Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Feasibility of a long trip on my S40 - (Read 546 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Feasibility of a long trip on my S40 -
Reply #15 - 04/14/14 at 00:03:50

Brunkster, don't count on 150 miles between fill ups at highway speed. 120 is reasonable, you will use a little reserve, 130 is feasible with more reserve,  anything over that is prayer territory. I once fitted 11.3 litres, about 3 US gals in my tank after about 150 miles. I think I was on fumes in the float bowl. Having said that, enjoy your trip.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #16 - 04/14/14 at 02:38:52

And keep an eye on the oil level.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #17 - 04/14/14 at 07:41:55

Brunkster wrote on 04/12/14 at 10:27:46:
My plans are to travel secondary roads. I know my bike will run Interstate speeds (70mph), just not sure about extended periods of time. I would hope to get maybe 150 miles range (?) between fillups.

That time of year my only weather concerns should be rain - I'm used to that in SW Fla and I have a set of rain gear.

Questions:

Has anyone else done a trip like this?

What kind of miles can I expect to cover in a day?

What other concerns have I missed?

or . . . . should I abandon the idea and take the truck?

Thanks,

Al

Al
I did a 2,000 mile trip in 2012 from central Kentucky to upstate New York at the age of 62. Same idea, secondary roads and no fixed schedule. I could do about 300 to 350 miles a day without pushing it and with breaks whenever I wanted one.

Two points. The bike uses oil at sustained highway speeds. Take an extra quart or two and top it off at every fuel stop. Plan your gas stops for 100 miles. With luggage and highway speeds you will get nowhere close to 150 miles between stops. The longest stint I made without stopping for gas was 119 miles and I had switched it to reserve well before the stop.

Take the bike and leave the truck at home. When are you going to get another chance? I moved on to a C50 last spring and did a 1,500 mile trip to the Ozarks last year and am planning a repeat of the New York trip this year. Just pack and go and don't forget the Advil.

Keep us posted

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #18 - 04/14/14 at 10:45:59

I've been dabbling or starting to plan a 2-4K round trip for later this year.  I did about 1.5K this last fall.  I was thinking of going to Big Bend National Park and maybe on to Santa Fe from the deep south.  Although, that would be on the bike all day for about a week.   Huh

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #19 - 04/14/14 at 12:20:41

Anything over four hundred miles per day will tire you, but it can be done.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
kennemarv1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

daytona beach, fl
Reply #20 - 04/14/14 at 14:26:41

What kind of saddlebags are mounted on your bike, Paladin?

IP Logged
Brunkster
YaBB Newbies

Ft Myers, FL
Reply #21 - 04/14/14 at 16:31:47

Thanks for all the replies - mentally preparing at this point. After Easter, I'll try the "out and back" day trip . . . and then see if I can get back on it the NEXT day!
Ha!

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #22 - 04/14/14 at 20:25:52

kennemarv1 wrote on 04/14/14 at 14:26:41:
What kind of saddlebags are mounted on your bike, Paladin?
http://www.leatherlyke.com/products/brands/cruiser-motorcycle-saddlebags-suzu...

Useable on all Savage/S40, 1986-2014, as long as you have the fender rails with the sissy bar.  Includes a kit to relocate the rear turn signals.  Mounted mine on Nov.18.2004 and they went with the bike to El Paso in Jan.2013.  I did replace the locks.  If you want to ride naked, it takes less than 30 seconds to dis-mount or re-mount the bags.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 04/15/14 at 00:38:22

$460 plus shipping and fondling for injection molded PLASTIC saddlebags...  Shocked Shocked Shocked

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #24 - 04/15/14 at 04:36:46

the bike is fine with the long ride, you are the weak link. I'm short so it's less cramped for me.

A throttle friction lock enables you to stretch your arms and back while riding.

you will be searching for different places to rest your feet to avoid leg cramps.

120 miles is all you'll get per tank (can't run dry)

The seat starts to feel like rock after 6hrs

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Brunkster
YaBB Newbies

Ft Myers, FL
Reply #25 - 04/15/14 at 09:15:38

Any ideas on seat padding?

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #26 - 04/15/14 at 09:20:35

I actually used a gel seat pad my wife had purchased for her car. It was semi-angular and had some straps, I just plopped it down on the seat and sat on it, had to make sure it didn't fall off when I got off, but it worked great.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #27 - 04/15/14 at 11:33:17

Brunkster wrote on 04/15/14 at 09:15:38:
Any ideas on seat padding?

AIrhawk?? I think seems to be pretty good. I am surprised no-onw has suggesed a Corbin seat.

http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/ss40.shtml

My understanding is.. this allows you to ride the savage all day. Sure looks the part. If we had kept ours.. this was the next upgrade.

My (novice) advice for prepping the savage:
replace the petcock.. as the petcock can cause the fuel bowl to go dry at high speeds for extend periods of time
replace the shocks with longer travel ( progressive)
windshield
better seat or seat pad
take oil with you.
some type of cruise device
replace headlight bulb... these get dimmer over time, just toss a new one in ... nothing special.

"Just because" upgrades
Vaypor trail dash... has a clock and tac
RAM mounts http://www.rammount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx#/wizard
I actually took a 1 gal gas can with me, but I nothing else ( day trip) so I had room.

I could do multiple 100 mile stints per day, but I haven't done more than 300 miles in a day, nor for multiple days.  Spend your "saved" money on a nice motel room... or even a not so nice one with a massage bed!

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #28 - 04/15/14 at 12:47:02

Corbin seat was the best money I spent on my S40. If I ever get another Savage/S40 I'll be getting another corbin seat. They are a little expensive but you can't put a price on comfort.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 04/15/14 at 13:06:29

The trick to riding on long trips is to take a 10- 15 minute break every hour of riding. Shake out the hands and legs. The miles add real fast this way and it gives the bike a rest also especially if it is mostly on freeways at a high RPM's. I rode across the country on my 650 and I found the bike runs much more smoothly and cooler with a 50 weight oil rather than the 40 weight. Each night check everything to make sure nothing has loosened up on you after a long day of crappy roads. Also there were parts of my ride that I had to travel over 100 miles between fill ups and most times it was never a problem. But I did stop in a dollar store and bought a small rubber hot water bottle like you use for sore muscles and half filled it with spare gas. If I got cold I filled it with hot water and put either in the back or front of my jacket. I had a blast and the bike ran great.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:32:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Feasibility of a long trip on my S40 -

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.