Lead for bullets? (Read 123 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Lead for bullets?
04/11/14 at 14:35:43

Was in wally world today and seen fishing weights, was wondering if you all knew about them, from my understanding lead is going to be a precious metal here soon. Don't know if its total lead or just partial, but they are selling 16oz. for $4.96

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Lead for bullets?
Reply #1 - 04/11/14 at 16:11:05

I think most fishing sinkers are pure lead. That's too soft for most cast bullets unless you are making round balls or conical bullets for muzzle loaders or cap and ball revolvers. Most lead bullets for cartridge firearms are an alloy of lead, tin and antimony similar to this:

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/HardballBulletCastingAlloy.htm?gclid=CKft...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 04/11/14 at 18:56:42

Cheapest most ready source of castable lead alloy is old clip on wheel weights.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/11/14 at 20:00:11

I hope you're right about lead becoming a "precious metal" someday. I have many pounds of the stuff my (deceased) Father-in-Law salvaged from a torn-down X-ray room at a hospital he helped demolish. Back in Ohio, we were avid flintlock shooters and competed regularly, casting our own balls and Minie bullets. I gave it up years ago, when traditional black powder became classified as a "low explosive" and required an ATF license to purchase. I still load .410 shells with Jim Shockey Gold, but I buy the shot from Cabela's in 25 pound bags (a bag lasts me forever!)

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #4 - 04/13/14 at 05:32:10

you can make bullets from fishing weights if fired low velocity..
.38 special, 9mm, should be limited to 1200fps..

.357 magnum will fill the rifling lands like solder, so will .38 super (unless you limit the powder charge to 1200fps)

.380 acp is fine at factory velocities..

antimony is added to lead to make it harder, fishing lures are usually just lead)

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/13/14 at 21:11:51

Right you are, Shorty!
At a local shooting club, they have on display a 9mm auto pistol that "blew up" b/c the shooter cast his own bullets using pure lead, no jacket. The soft metal filled the rifling and scrubbed off in the barrel until the slide locking mechanism couldn't handle the back pressure anymore, failed and sent a ball of fire and the slide back into the face of the shooter. He wasn't seriously injured, but a good lesson was learned.

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #6 - 04/14/14 at 04:19:41

WOW..... Shocked Shocked

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 04/14/14 at 08:25:43

Pretty cool that you found that. Lead sinkers around here are gettign pretty scarce, mostly its Bithmus (sp).  

But hey, at nearly $5 per 16... I would say theres a definate increase in price for lead right there! I paid $75 for ~ 170 pounds.  So I have double my money!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/14/14 at 09:22:41

So I suppose it won't be long before people start digging up the earth mounds at the gun clubs....to "get the lead out".

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 04/14/14 at 09:49:51

Dave wrote on 04/14/14 at 09:22:41:
So I suppose it won't be long before people start digging up the earth mounds at the gun clubs....to "get the lead out".

The club I belong to does almost exactly that. Every few years they hire a company that brings in a machine that tills up a few inches of the ground out past all the trap and skeet fields where the shot falls. They scoop up the dirt,dump it into another machine that separates the lead from the soil. They pay the club for the lead they reclaim.

I don't think they have ever tried mining the berms at the pistol and rifle ranges, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way to do that too, and make some money.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #10 - 04/14/14 at 11:53:43

Dave wrote on 04/14/14 at 09:22:41:

I know that the indoor range ( now closed down) had to PAY for folks in hazmat suits to come out and clean the traps. The lead was treated as toxic waste, and disposed of accordingly.

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/14/14 at 12:40:52

Y'know, sometimes I think the health hazards from things like lead and BPA in plastic is really overblown. Granted, these things are toxic, and have been proven to be hazardous, but how much exposure are we risking and how much is too much? Washington outlawed lead wheel weights about a year ago, because some wizard submitted a "study" indicating that expelled wheel weights were poisoning salmon streams and habitat. Sorry, but I have been running along roads and highways here since 1992, and I have seen NUMEROUS aluminum cans and other trash, but barely a handful of expelled wheel weights.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #12 - 04/14/14 at 14:10:13

HAPPYDAN wrote on 04/14/14 at 12:40:52:
Y'know, sometimes I think the health hazards from things like lead and BPA in plastic is really overblown. Granted, these things are toxic, and have been proven to be hazardous, but how much exposure are we risking and how much is too much? Washington outlawed lead wheel weights about a year ago, because some wizard submitted a "study" indicating that expelled wheel weights were poisoning salmon streams and habitat. Sorry, but I have been running along roads and highways here since 1992, and I have seen NUMEROUS aluminum cans and other trash, but barely a handful of expelled wheel weights.

/agreed!

My current unhappiness with the EPA is now the new requirment for wood burning stoves to meet EPA regs.  REALLY??? Does the USA create sooooo much pollution via wood burning stoves that they must be regulated? Paint me VERY skeptical.

But now I would be on board to get rid of this:
http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

Just in case you get concerned:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 04/14/14 at 15:06:33

Pine wrote on 04/14/14 at 14:10:13:
My current unhappiness with the EPA is now the new requirment for wood burning stoves to meet EPA regs.  REALLY??? Does the USA create sooooo much pollution via wood burning stoves that they must be regulated? Paint me VERY skeptical.

They're starting to have "no burn" days here.  We certainly can see the difference in air quality during the wildfires.

Maybe in the future we'll have "no drive" days.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:20:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Lead for bullets?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.