Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installed the Raptor last night, but.. (Read 147 times)
Duckman24
YaBB Newbies

Life's better on 2
wheels!

Ottawa, Canada
Installed the Raptor last night, but..
04/11/14 at 03:15:34

I installed the new Raptor last night with no issues, but forgot to turn it to the closed position after I was done. Undecided  It's been in the open position all night. Will this cause me any problems today, and should I always turn it to the closed position when not running the bike?
Is there any steps I should take if leaving it open over night was not right?
any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Duck

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Installed the Raptor last night, but..
Reply #1 - 04/11/14 at 03:25:50

It always takes a bit of time to learn to turn off the fuel.  This was easier for me as I had always had motorycles with manual petcocks....then when I got the Savage it seemed weird to "not" be shutting off the fuel.

Most of the time there will not be any harm if you forget to turn the petcock off.  Your needle/seat in the carb is supposed to limit the fuel level in the carb.....and it does a pretty good job of it......usually.  If some dirt gets under the seat or the float sticks you can have some the carb overflow if you forgot to shut off the Raptor petcock.

Check your oil level and if the level has not increased, the oil does not smell like gasoline, pull the plug on the air cleaner drain tube and see if a bunch of gasoline comes out......then if the bike starts as normal you are probably fine.

I tend to just leave the Raptor turned on while I am riding and just make short stops - then on the way home I turn the Raptor off when I pass an intersection about 1/2 mile from my driveway.  By the time I get home my bike is running out of fuel, and the bike does not have a float bowl full of E10 (10% ethanol) that can eventually corrode the carb. (I will admit this is a bit of overkill).  By having a routine like this, even if it involves shutting off the fuel when you pass your mailbox or some trigger to remind you - it is easier to remember.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Duckman24
YaBB Newbies

Life's better on 2
wheels!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #2 - 04/11/14 at 04:22:54

Thanks Dave!

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 04/11/14 at 08:19:44

I forgot to turn my Raptor off when I parked the bike for the winter. I had no issues.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/11/14 at 09:01:24

While seated on the bike, practice reaching down and turning it on without looking. I always remembered to turn it off but occasionally forgot to turn it on....I became an expert turning it on while on the fly.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 04/11/14 at 21:18:25

I've never turned mine off. Never had a problem (about 8 months of experience with one...) Maybe I should get in the habit though.

IP Logged
Duckman24
YaBB Newbies

Life's better on 2
wheels!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #6 - 04/12/14 at 02:19:06

Checked things when I got home from work, all's fine. Haven't had it out on the road yet, but I swear she's running better!
Blinky, good idea about practicing reaching down, it will help when I run out of gas when on the freeway and need to switch to reserve. That happened to me on my Honda shadow and had to pull over, if I had of practiced before hand I would of been fine.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #7 - 04/12/14 at 07:44:44

Duckman24 wrote on 04/12/14 at 02:19:06:
Checked things when I got home from work, all's fine. Haven't had it out on the road yet, but I swear she's running better!

That's not surprising! Both of my Savages ran better with the Raptor. On my first bike I ran the stock petcock on prime to get the bike to run decently. But then I ran out of gas a couple times....  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 04/12/14 at 08:16:35

I remember to turn it off at work, but forget to at home... No overflow issues with it. I do need to change or delete the inline fuel filter though, bike feels like it is starving for fuel...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #9 - 04/12/14 at 10:14:53

I agree with the others. My bike runs better with the Raptor as well. I don't know if the reason is because there was something wrong with mine or the factory one is poop.

I did want to add that I don't ever turn my fuel off. I wanted to when I parked it for the winter. That is when I forgot.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #10 - 04/12/14 at 20:18:11

WD wrote on 04/12/14 at 08:16:35:
I remember to turn it off at work, but forget to at home... No overflow issues with it. I do need to change or delete the inline fuel filter though, bike feels like it is starving for fuel...

Yup. I had to remove my inline filter to get the bike to run at all.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:21:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Installed the Raptor last night, but..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.