Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Bike will not start and various other problems (Read 586 times)
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Bike will not start and various other problems
Reply #30 - 05/18/14 at 22:05:05

Izzy wrote on 05/18/14 at 21:53:43:
Pretty sure the throttle cable is fine from what I can see. Unless you mean the thing the throttle cable pulls on is messed up?

Just be sure that when you twist the throttle the half moon shaped plate it connects to turns. I'd try manually turning the plate to see if that makes any difference in the engine running. If you can manually turn the plate and it gets gas and revs up then maybe your cable is hooked up wrong or something.

IP Logged
Izzy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #31 - 05/19/14 at 10:55:39

S-P wrote on 05/18/14 at 22:05:05:
Izzy wrote on 05/18/14 at 21:53:43:
Pretty sure the throttle cable is fine from what I can see. Unless you mean the thing the throttle cable pulls on is messed up?

Just be sure that when you twist the throttle the half moon shaped plate it connects to turns. I'd try manually turning the plate to see if that makes any difference in the engine running. If you can manually turn the plate and it gets gas and revs up then maybe your cable is hooked up wrong or something.

Oh okay I'll give that a shot after work today. From what I could see the other day though it appeared to be moving the unit like normal.

IP Logged
Izzy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #32 - 05/21/14 at 08:57:46

Throttle cable is working fine. The little metal thing it pulls on is moving and whatnot.

Anyone have any other ideas?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #33 - 05/21/14 at 15:28:22

Did we determine that the slide is fine? No vacuum leaks...in the top or the vacuum hose connection for the petc0ck.  The diaphram in the top should not have any holes or tears in it.

Is there any possibility the timing could be off?  When it is running do you have dark black exhaust smoke? Does it smell extremely rich?

If you took the needle out of the slide, you did put the spring under the circlip so it pushes the clip and needle up?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Izzy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #34 - 05/21/14 at 15:44:05

Steve H wrote on 05/21/14 at 15:28:22:
Did we determine that the slide is fine? No vacuum leaks...in the top or the vacuum hose connection for the petc0ck.  The diaphram in the top should not have any holes or tears in it.

Is there any possibility the timing could be off?  When it is running do you have dark black exhaust smoke? Does it smell extremely rich?

If you took the needle out of the slide, you did put the spring under the circlip so it pushes the clip and needle up?

The slide appeared to be  fine. I couldn't see any tears or holes in the diaphragm. I never took the needle out of the slide.

The exhaust seems normal as far as I can tell. Definitely not black smoke coming out. I guess the next step is to zip tie the tube onto the petcock and carb and make sure it is fine. The problem with the starting happened before I changed it out though, so I'm doubtful it is the tube but you never know.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #35 - 05/22/14 at 15:12:00

I went back and looked over the thread and found your video.  To me it seems to be sloppy rich from the sound and the misfiring.

If you've got fuel in the carb bowl, since it runs, you must, it should at the very least idle on it and speed up a little when you twist the throttle.

When it runs and then shuts down, pull the vacuum hose loose from the carb right side.  Is there any fuel in it?  If so, your petc0ck is leaking.  Or, just try disconnecting the vacuum hose, plug the vacuum tap and see if it runs better. This would rule out the petc0ck having a hole in its diaphram and allowing fuel to be sucked through all the time no matter the setting.

Like someone already said, having to open the throttle and keep it way open is a sign of being very rich. Sticking float, way oversize jets, fuel getting into the engine without passing through the carb.

Did you do the petcock test?  I don't remember seeing where you did it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Izzy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #36 - 05/22/14 at 21:25:47

Steve H wrote on 05/22/14 at 15:12:00:
I went back and looked over the thread and found your video.  To me it seems to be sloppy rich from the sound and the misfiring.

If you've got fuel in the carb bowl, since it runs, you must, it should at the very least idle on it and speed up a little when you twist the throttle.

When it runs and then shuts down, pull the vacuum hose loose from the carb right side.  Is there any fuel in it?  If so, your petc0ck is leaking.  Or, just try disconnecting the vacuum hose, plug the vacuum tap and see if it runs better. This would rule out the petc0ck having a hole in its diaphram and allowing fuel to be sucked through all the time no matter the setting.

Like someone already said, having to open the throttle and keep it way open is a sign of being very rich. Sticking float, way oversize jets, fuel getting into the engine without passing through the carb.

Did you do the petcock test?  I don't remember seeing where you did it.

The petcock test was the next thing on my list of stuff to try. It's just so odd to me it works 100% perfect the day before then in the morning absolutely nothing. I guess that's how things are though. I'll go ahead and try your suggestions and do the petcock test as well. It was my first gut feeling it might be a petcock issue which is why I replaced the vacuum hose (the old one had cracks in it). I'll be out of town for the holiday weekend so it might be a while until I am able to work on it and give you all an update.

I just want to thank everyone here you are all awesome for putting up with me and for giving me continual responses!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #37 - 05/22/14 at 22:47:12

Sometimes the petcock dies over time, plays nice one day, tosses out a few oddball hassles the next day, back to right a day,, just impossible to nail down.. I wouldnt even hassle with the test,, screw it.. get a Raptor, not a box that SAYS its a Raptor for $12.00. The Yamaha shop charged me about 27 bucks,, I knew it was the real deal,, no freight, no wait, Immediate change in how it ran..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #38 - 05/26/14 at 15:15:34

Just for the heck of it, double check the wires coming out of the stator, mine were completely fused together and were shorting out, if you check the three yellow wires coming off of the regulator down to the bottom of the case if you squeeze the wire harness and hear something that sounds scratchy I bet you have the same problem I did. if you feel that they may be bad pull the magneto cover off and you may need a new stator set up. I soldered mine back together, seems to be working I don't trust if for long but it worked for now

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
Izzy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #39 - 07/01/14 at 19:35:49

This is a long overdue question/update.

I have had absolutely zero time to put into the savage with work and other obligations. It's been a real bummer. I bought some rubber plugs to try and do a petcock test but they were the wrong size.

Anyways, my friend was thinking maybe it won't start because of the clutch safety switch or the kickstand safety switch not working correctly. What do you guys all think? I was trying to find more information on them but I apparently suck really bad with the search tool.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #40 - 07/01/14 at 21:01:55

Izzy wrote on 07/01/14 at 19:35:49:
This is a long overdue question/update.

I have had absolutely zero time to put into the savage with work and other obligations. It's been a real bummer. I bought some rubber plugs to try and do a petcock test but they were the wrong size.

Anyways, my friend was thinking maybe it won't start because of the clutch safety switch or the kickstand safety switch not working correctly. What do you guys all think? I was trying to find more information on them but I apparently suck really bad with the search tool.

Check out the technical documents on the home page. There might be something there  on the kickstand/clutch safety switches. It's a common topic.

IP Logged
DaveLKN
YaBB Newbies

Lake Norman NC
Reply #41 - 07/01/14 at 21:23:55

At this point, my money's on the petcock being the problem.  

Who's with me? Cool

BTW Izzy, where are you located?  Gotta be some Savage riders in your area that could be excellent moral support to help you get it running again so together you can frequent establishments that cater to those gentlemen referred to as 'motorcyclists'... Wink

1998 Savage LS650
1998 Marauder VZ800
member- Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club
  IP Logged
Izzy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #42 - 07/21/14 at 15:59:57

I'm in colorado springs. I'm almost to the point of just selling it and taking a loss. I haven't been able to find any sold info about the kickstand/clutch switches and I just don't have any motivation to fix it anymore really.

IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 07/21/14 at 16:39:57

I would check the timing at this point. You did have problems with the cam chain and tensioner. Could it be slightly out of time now? I dont think you've got a carburetor issue, petcock issue or throttle cable issue. As long as the starter comes on when you push the start button then your clutch and kickstand interlocks are working unless they have been bypassed and then they dont matter anyway. Take a break from it for awhile. I know your frustrated.

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #44 - 07/21/14 at 18:00:07

I think changing the petcock would help.  With the battery charger you are turning the engine faster creating more vacuum to deliver more fuel.  The second advantage of the Raptor is it makes it so much easier to remove the tank for service.

Now, I also agree with those who say to check the timing.  I does sound typical of an engine firing too late.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:17:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike will not start and various other problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.