Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Bike will not start and various other problems (Read 586 times)
Izzy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Bike will not start and various other problems
04/10/14 at 20:09:16

Well I've about given up on this thing. I have a 2001 Suzuki Savage (about 16k miles) that I just bought as my first road bike. It ran fine for the first two weeks I had it. It even did a 60 mile trip on the freeway.

My bad luck all started when I accidentally left it in park (dirtbikes don't tend to have this issue...) while I was at work. All told it was in park for about 4 and a half hours. It completely killed the battery so I jumped it with a car and it started right up.

I rode the bike after that for about 45 minutes with no problem. I went to dinner for about 20 minutes, bike started up and ran fine after that as well. Took another break from riding for about 2 hours and then got back on and it worked fine.

I let it sit over night and the next morning decided the weather was good so I was going to ride it to work. It kept turning over but wouldn't start. I didn't have time and left it there.

That's when I came on here looking for information and I didn't find anything really. I did however find out about the cam chain tensioner issue this bike is apparently notorious for and petcock issues.

I decided to change the spark plug. I really had no other ideas. I changed it and still had the same results. So after changing it I decided to give it more gas and I got it to run! As long as I didn't try to idle it and as long as I gave it a buttload of gas I could get it to start and stay running. Let go of the gas for too long and it would die.

I rode it over to my friends to check out the cam chain because I noticed the noise. My cam chain adjuster and definitely came out completely... So I took a bullet and bought the verslavy and just installed it tonight. I just got it all put back together and new oil put in and went to start it up and I got nothing! So I hooked up a battery tender/charger/starter thing and tried again.

It will go "thump thump thump" as long as I have the starter running and the gas turned a little. It starts to sound like it will go but if you let off the starter it just dies. It actually almost sounds like it is running until you let the starter off.

I'm back to having absolutely no clue what to do. The battery as far as I can tell is fine (it's not stock), it's a brand new spark plug, and the air filter looked pretty dang clean. I even just rechecked the gap on the plug tonight to make sure it was correct. This is quite frustrating especially since this bike needs to be out of my friends garage A.S.A.P. since his land lady is getting ticked of it being in there (plus I found out he is moving in a week). Any ideas?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Bike will not start and various other problems
Reply #1 - 04/10/14 at 20:11:55

Take your battery out and have it tested... if you killed it, there is a possibility a couple cells are bad and the draw on the remaining ones might have lessoned their capability to provide enough amperage to start your bike.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Izzy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 04/10/14 at 20:15:55

Would it not start even with the battery charger set to the jumpstart mode? ( think it's 125v 12amp but I can't remember)

I guess I don't have much to lose but I figured it would at least start with it set to jumpstart mode. The lights and starter all seem to be fine even without the charger but I put it on to try and rule it out. I've never really understood electronics though... Sad

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 04/10/14 at 20:19:27

Funny... a rash of starting issues after installing a cam chain tensioner. I had the same problem after I changed mine. Check out the long thread (I think it is mhart) who is having the same issue. LOTS of suggestions there. First thing I'd suggest (after you check the battery) is shooting some starter fluid into the carb and see if it starts up. That eliminates a lot of possible problems right there.  If you have the stock petcock check that out too (there's some info in the tech section I think on how to test it... basically turn it to PRIME to get gas to flow through it without the vacuum assist). If it starts with starter fluid you may have a dirty carb or fuel flow issue.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/10/14 at 22:15:26

If all mechanical issues have been thoroughly checked out, it's time to check electrical.

Try the ether or starting fluid 1st and let us know the results.

WWW   IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #5 - 04/10/14 at 22:21:26

Take always the plug for inspection if bike don't start. One try to start with bad battery can make the plug wet. Clean with steel-brush and burn it with lighter, start and drive Smiley

14365412   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/10/14 at 22:58:58

PROVE your battery is good. Dont believe it is, dont hope it is. Have it tested. This is a frustrating bear trap. It can be spinning over fast enough to start, BUT, they wont,, A slightly shabby battery can be the whole problem. I know ya said it was running,, have ya added gas? If so, is there a chance the gas was old? Maybe you should check fuel level.,.you mite be sitting right on the line.. flip it to rserve,.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Izzy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 04/12/14 at 08:43:55

Thanks for all the tips I will give them a shot hopefully this week and let you guys know if anything works.

IP Logged
Izzy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 04/15/14 at 19:26:45

Alright so here's what I have done so far.

1. Took the battery to O'Reillys and they tested it. It came back as a good battery. Is this a reliable test? Are the results trustworthy?

2. Tried the starter fluid in the carb. It didn't seem to do anything all. Infact I think it made it bog down a little even.

3. Tried prime, reserve and normal petcock modes. No luck. I do have gas in the tank at least a gallon. Should I put more in?

Here is a video of what it sounds like/how it is acting. The sound isn't very good unfortunately but if you watch you can tell that when the starter is engaged it sounds like it is running. The second I let go it dies. Around the 30 second mark I let go and it kept running for 3 seconds or so. That's the longest it has ran after letting go of the starter since I did all this repair work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RKI6FsNeoY&feature=youtu.be

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/15/14 at 20:00:22

what's the air filter look like?

kinda sounds like a dirty carb.

WWW   IP Logged
Izzy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 04/15/14 at 20:01:42

It looked fairly clean as far as I could tell but I've never seen what the original was supposed to look like.

IP Logged
BobR
YaBB Newbies

Who said retirement
has to be boring??

St. John's, NL
Reply #11 - 04/15/14 at 20:50:55

Try a little gas in the spark plug hole.

1986 Savage 650
1983 Honda V45 Magna (project)
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #12 - 04/15/14 at 21:19:55

Izzy wrote on 04/15/14 at 19:26:45:
Alright so here's what I have done so far.

2. Tried the starter fluid in the carb. It didn't seem to do anything all. Infact I think it made it bog down a little even.

Did you let the starter fluid evaporate a little before you hit the starter? You want a couple second shot, let it evaporate a little so its in a gas form, not a 5-10 second blast of liquid into the cylinder. It sounds like you have spark because it ran there for a couple seconds, even if it was crappy.  

IP Logged
mhart731
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com is
a lifeline..

Jackson, TN
Reply #13 - 04/15/14 at 21:36:53

I'm interested to see where this goes. This seems to be very very similar to my problem.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #14 - 04/15/14 at 21:41:28

mhart731 wrote on 04/15/14 at 21:36:53:
I'm interested to see where this goes. This seems to be very very similar to my problem.

I had the same problem after I changed my cam chain tensioner. Wouldn't start. I ended up using starter fluid and got it going. It ran like crap and I put new gas in it and it ran much better.  When it was really cold I needed starter fluid to get it going even with the choke.  Another thing that happened was it smoked really bad for a few minutes after starting for a couple weeks after I did the  work, then that cleared up. Eventually I didn't need the starter fluid to get it going in the mornings, just the normal choke routine. No clue why.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:24:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike will not start and various other problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.