Send Topic Print
Speedo options (Read 344 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Speedo options
04/10/14 at 19:24:16

I've been thinking about converting my bike to chain but I need to have the speedometer read correctly. The first place I checked for a replacement speedometer (to mount on the handlebars) was Ryca.  Their speedo says 60 mph=2,240 RPM.  I've also found others that say this.  Can someone explain this?  Is this the speedo drive cable RPM or the engine RPM?  Is there some kind of formula to figure what gear ratios/tire sizes are compatible with "60 mph=2240RPM"?  I'm just trying to figure out my options.

BTW, digital speedos (like Trailtech) are out.  Don't like 'em!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Speedo options
Reply #1 - 04/11/14 at 00:55:15

The Trail Tech on my 03 works fine. Reads a consistent 2 mph faster than the analog factory gauge. The look takes some getting used to, but, the function can't be beat.

I do need a small analog gauge for the 98 full custom though, digital gauges weren't available in the era that bike is built to emulate...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/11/14 at 03:08:40

It is a shame that no one has figured out how to make an electronic speedometer in a conventional housing.....with a matching electronic tachometer in a conventional housing.  You could have a vintage look with all the cool stuff that electronics offer like temperature gauge, elapsed time, trip odo, clock...yada,yada.

I have a Trail Tech Vapor and I got it so that I could have a tidy look, and the convenience of an accurate speedometer when I changed to an 18" wheel and I keep fussing around with different pulleys.

The Trail Tech Vapor requires you hooking up about a dozen wires, mounting a magnet to the front wheel and sticking the sensor on the fork leg, then mounting the unit.  I have the optional dash which has indicator lights for the turn signals, neutral and high beam - they are a bit tough to see in the daylight.

Dave  

Ton_Up_001.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 04/11/14 at 05:06:47

I looked at a few overpriced Autometer gauges and they all said pretty much the same thing -- 60 mph = 2240 rpm. So how can these be compatible with ANYTHING?  Every car/motorcycle/whatever has different gears/tire sizes.  Am I missing something here?

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/11/14 at 05:55:40

Cars can use different ratio speedometer drives to account for changes in the final drive ratio.  If you are looking at Motorcycle units - they are going to be built for the most common bikes, as it is just not economically affordable to make a ratio for every possible gear combination.

You can get "little" devices that can corrrect for changes in speedometer cable speeds.  They are little for the use in cars but kind of bulky for motorcycle use.  They also require you to make custom drive cables. or connect it right to the engine block or speedometer housing.  Click on this link and you can see an adapter and cables in the upper right had corner.  North Hollywood Speedometer can also recalibrate things.....for a fee.
http://www.nhspeedometer.com/

If you want an off the shelf and cheap mechanical speedo for a Savage with different gear sets and tire sizes....and you want it to be accurate.....you most likely are NOT going to find it.  If you want accurate...you have to do digital!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 04/11/14 at 09:29:32

Thanks Dave.  I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on this so I might have to forget about an analog gauge.  I don't like the digital versions but I may have to learn to live with it.

What about the Ryca analog gauge?  It's one of the "60 = 2240" gauges but they use a taller tire and slightly different gearing.  How can I compute what gear/tire works with a gauge like this?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/11/14 at 10:17:09

Read through the Cafe' Bike Builds listed in the stickey at the top of the this section.  I know some have commented about speedometer accuracy.

Also some folks have used small bicycle electronic speedometers as both accurate speedo's and a way to get a trip odometer.  If you do get one make sure it has wires to the sensor, as the signal of the wireless stuff gets screwed up by the electrical activity on the Savage.

Also you can place small paint dots on your speedo face to indicate real speeds.  I have a friend that changed the gearing on his dual sport, and he used his GPS to get accurate speeds to mark on his speedo face.

And lastly....I just read somewhere that GPS driven speedometers are starting to be available.

IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #7 - 04/11/14 at 11:02:50

14365412   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 04/11/14 at 12:30:14

Those are some nice looking instruments!  Unfortunately, anything made outside of the U.S. is going to be in km/h.  I need mph.

IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #9 - 04/11/14 at 12:59:23

Kph or mph your choice.

14365412   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 04/11/14 at 13:07:04

Yep, sorry.  I did notice that after re-reading that link.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 04/11/14 at 13:32:55

Ok, so in my research I have found that as the speedo cable spins 2240 rpm, the speedo reads 60 mph.  "2240:60" is the Japanese standard across all makes and models.

Since every bike is different as far as tires and gears go, what else is involved to make the speedo read accurately?  I've been reading that a lot of bikes have a speedo gear thingy inside the front wheel hub.  Ours does not have this feature.   Our speedo reads off of the engine/transmission somewhere.  There's got to be something else to convert gear rpms into accurate speedo cable rpms to cause the gauge to register accurately.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #12 - 04/11/14 at 13:58:07

They would have to calibrate for each bike to make 2240 speedo rpm = 60 mph - based on the stock size rear wheel and tire e.g. for larger wheels, use a larger gear to drive the speedo cable or something like that.  

I'm picturing something that runs off the front sprocket driveshaft (since it would turn proportionally to the rear wheel, regardless of engine  - rpm,gear, etc then there would be some sort of gearing adjustment to make 2240 speedo = 60 mph  

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 04/11/14 at 14:08:19

Kris01:

I had mentioned to you in a previous post that there is an adapter that can be used - but is is most often used on cars, trucks and busses and is not all that compact for a motorcycle.  It most often screws onto the transmission and then the cable screws into it.  You might be able to find one that would work on the Savage.  You would have to contact a supplier and tell the me the thread sizes, and the ratio change you need so they can put the correct gears in it.

One of the reasons that dirt bikes used the front wheel to drive the speedometer is that for rallies and enduros where mileage needs to be accurate, rear wheel spin can make the mileage wrong...so they use the front wheel....and it allows sprocket changes without affecting the speedometer.  You might be able to adapt a front wheel gear set up to use on the Savage - but then you need to use the same size wheel, and a 19" front wheel is not all that common.

OK....that is everything I know about speedometers.....I'm spent! Lips Sealed

speedo_correct.jpg

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 04/11/14 at 19:01:01

Hmmm, I guess I'm making this more difficult than it needs to be.  If I decide to regear this bike with chain, I'll probably just go the easy route with a bicycle speedometer.  Yeah, I said it.... digital! Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:18:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speedo options

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.