New S40 owner (Read 195 times)
SGT Rock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Blount County Tennessee
New S40 owner
04/10/14 at 19:03:56

Hi all. I've been lurking around here a few weeks looking at the Suzuki Savage/S40.

First, thanks to the Administrators for approving me. I know how hard it can be to run a forum while trying to keep the spammers and troublemakers from ruining it.

I've owned a couple of Kawasakis and now own a couple of Harleys. I'm not one of those brainwashed Harley owners, so I'm always open to other manufacturers and everybody on a bike is my friend as far as I've been concerned. I have been encouraging my wife to start riding for some time and she got to like the idea. She signed up for the MSF course at the end of this month and I wanted to get her something she could ride after she finished the course - if you learn it but never use it, it won't do you much good. She isn't very tall, and after some research I hit on the S40 as a probable good fit for her. I found this website and have been searching on lots of topics related to the bikes. I learned a lot stuff from the members such as the issue with oils, cam chain tensioner, petcock valve, to name a few.

I started shopping around and didn't find many in the area, but on a lark yesterday we went by the Honda Dealer in Knoxville and they had a used 2009 S40 with 1,900 miles on it for sale. I looked it over and took it for a spin, it ran great. My wife loved the fit of the bike (she sat on a lot of bikes while we have been looking) and it felt perfect to her. So yesterday we bought it, and while I was sitting waiting for the paperwork to get done, I started signing up for my membership here.

It is in great shape, but I do need to fix a broken turn signal, and I want to put some stuff on the bike for her. I've still got some learning to do and questions to ask. So far I've learned a lot, and hope to learn more. Thanks for the collection of knowledge y'all have created here.

No Sniveling!
WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: New S40 owner
Reply #1 - 04/10/14 at 19:17:01

Welcome SgtRock! LOL, that's kinda how I got introduced to the savage. My wife (50 years old this year) decided to start riding last year and after her course we stopped by a used motorcycle dealer and she loved the way the savage fit her small frame.
The fella's here talked me through all the little ticks the bike has and to prove I fixed it up right I went and met them at the annual dragon run (june this year) last year.
Great buncha' fella's and right smart too boot! Course i'm not really an OLD rider...but have been riding for 40+ years. These guys are mostly older than I am and very savvy' on what the savage can do.
I rode my wife's savage from the panhandle of florida all the way to the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground in North Carolina... its an awesome machine... so much so, that I recently sold my Harley RoadGlide and bought me one... I also care not what you ride...its just that you ride.
Again Welcome to the group Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 04/10/14 at 19:19:51

Welcome!  This place is a gold mine full of information.  I find it very helpful and the members here are very intelligent and willing to help.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
SGT Rock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Blount County Tennessee
Reply #3 - 04/10/14 at 19:32:32

When you say Dragon Run, are you talking about US129? I live in Blount County Tennessee near the Foothills Parkway and ride the Dragon when it isn't too covered up in tourists.

No Sniveling!
WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 04/10/14 at 19:44:12

Yes... I believe it started out with the fella's riding the dragon annually, but now it is just meeting and riding.

This year we are meeting at MMR's place near Lynchburg and camping out for a couple days, (shoot some guns and hit the distillery, and sat go to a bike meet) then we are heading to Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campgrounds in North Carolina (they have comfy cabins or you can pitch a tent) and ride a few roads around there.
Some of us might actually go ride the dragon on the way out of the area, if you are from around there mayhaps you know a few of the better roads in the area that aren't as "populated" in june and could drop in the Dragon Run post and fill us in ! Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
SGT Rock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Blount County Tennessee
Reply #5 - 04/10/14 at 19:48:12

I suppose you probably already know of the Cherohala. They are also supposed to be finishing the extension of the Foothills Parkway soon. We have enjoyed NC28, TN360 and TN68. I keep meaning to rind US64 through the Ocoee Valley, but haven't tied it yet.

No Sniveling!
WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #6 - 04/10/14 at 20:02:00

Welcome, Sarge! Yep, this is a great forum, it has saved my bacon lots of times.  Good luck with the new bike!  I just got a 2007 that had 2000 miles for 2,000.00 ... it pays to watch craigslist!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 04/10/14 at 20:02:07

Here is a link to the Dragon Run, 2014 post... you could read up on it... last four or five pages and you could catch the drift of it... page one I think has all the information on dates...

Runs from 17 June thru about 25 Jun.... some will be there for all some for just parts....would be kewl if you and the missus could show for maybe one day or perhaps meet on the day of the dragon... probably wed the 25th ...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1375308431/345#345

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 04/11/14 at 00:36:00

Another TN Savage/S40 owner? Cool... I'm on the other end of it, 36 miles NE of Graceland. We had a small get together at our farm last year, might try to put something together for this year.

I'm NOT doing the Dragon meet. Same time frame as a 21 and over rally that is more my speed. I think I'm the "kid" of the group at 41...  Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 04/11/14 at 11:02:29

WD wrote on 04/11/14 at 00:36:00:
Another TN Savage/S40 owner? Cool... I'm on the other end of it, 36 miles NE of Graceland. We had a small get together at our farm last year, might try to put something together for this year.

I'm NOT doing the Dragon meet. Same time frame as a 21 and over rally that is more my speed. I think I'm the "kid" of the group at 41...  Roll Eyes

HAHAHA

That would be 35 and younger group ... meet that you are going to. For old farts... we already have the tee shirt. Well except for me.   Grin

Oh and Welcome Sgt.

IP Logged
SGT Rock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Blount County Tennessee
Reply #10 - 04/11/14 at 12:24:46

We might come over the mountains for part of that. I work funny hours so I often can't make these sorts of things, but for now I have some of those dates off. It would be cool to meet some people and see and hear what you do with your bikes. Y'all wouldn't mind my Harley ridding into camp with her S40 would you?

No Sniveling!
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 04/11/14 at 13:19:48

SGT Rock wrote on 04/11/14 at 12:24:46:
We might come over the mountains for part of that. I work funny hours so I often can't make these sorts of things, but for now I have some of those dates off. It would be cool to meet some people and see and hear what you do with your bikes. Y'all wouldn't mind my Harley ridding into camp with her S40 would you?

Other makes and models are fine.....we are definitely the minority at any venue we go to.  The Blueride Campground always has some well behaved Harley folks, Honda St and Wings, some sport bikes, dual sports and Adventure tourers.

We would love to meet you and the Mrs. Rock.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 04/11/14 at 16:21:10

Why would you have to fix the turn signal? That is a safety issue and the bike shouldn't have been sold by a dealer with a known safety issue.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 04/11/14 at 18:47:29

Quote:
I suppose you probably already know of the Cherohala.

An absolutely wonderful ride, I went there last fall.

PB040070_001.JPG

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
SGT Rock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Blount County Tennessee
Reply #14 - 04/12/14 at 04:18:33

arteacher wrote on 04/11/14 at 16:21:10:
Why would you have to fix the turn signal? That is a safety issue and the bike shouldn't have been sold by a dealer with a known safety issue.

They were waiting for the part to come in. I told them I could fix it myself.

No Sniveling!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:20:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › New S40 owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.