Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Uhhh, I don't think so! (Read 164 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Uhhh, I don't think so!
04/10/14 at 12:32:52

http://tanshanomi.com/suzuki-ls650-savages40/index.html

I might be a little bit biased but I disagree with this guy on almost every topic.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Uhhh, I don't think so!
Reply #1 - 04/10/14 at 12:41:50

Quote:
Short, opinionated, unsubstantiated capsule ratings of street-legal motorcycles from 1970 to today.

That just about sums it up.

Load up on salt before you read.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 04/10/14 at 13:09:06

I actually think it's a pretty accurate description of the bike. Only thing I really don't agree with is his characterization of the steering as "vague". I think mine handles very well for what it is.

I know we are all savage fans here, but I didn't read anything that I got upset about.

By almost any objective criteria there are a lot of bikes out there that are a lot better then ours in almost any category you want to discuss.
Who cares?

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/10/14 at 13:39:11

I bought a Savage because, for its' weight, there isn't much made anymore that can compete with it.  He didn't like my Moto Guzzi either but I bought it for the same reason, the lightest bike in its' class.  So it is all a matter of priorities and weight is a big one with me.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 04/10/14 at 14:10:58

I agree.  There are much better bikes out there but if I'm happy with the one I have then I have no complaints and no reason to "upgrade".  My S40 is more than capable of delivering everything I expect from it.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 04/10/14 at 14:36:18

I brought on price and the colour of the petrol tank. I can back my S40 into my garage easier than I could my GN250. Sure it's a butt riveter but I've have put 350 to 400 plus miles in a day at 64 years old. Handling, well you get what you pay for and I have no issues. On the long trip I did last year I had no trouble keeping pace with the other riders. Had they been travelling in the 75 to 80 mph range all day it might have been different. The other riders, Harley 1200's and Triumph Daytona's were all impressed with the S40's performance.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #6 - 04/10/14 at 14:46:20

I think cost might be the most common reason for our choice ?     And different types of costs     One type was the clincher for me    In August 2012 two identical (2011) bikes went on clearance at my local dealership for $3,999     That's when I made my move

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 04/10/14 at 19:08:31

Everyone likes the savage/s40 for their own reasons. If someone doesn't like a bike (any bike) its their opinion.
Even a skilled professional rider can't give a "unbiased" opinion because everyone has "favorites".
Depending on your personal body type, will decide what is comfortable for you, even if you like the way a bike sits, the next guy might not.
I have a very boney ass and like a lot of cushion....and I am also medium height and leg/arm length also.
I am about the most "average" body type so all bikes should be "comfortable" to me, but some are not.
Price? Well up until recently I could afford any of them, well except the new Lotus maybe..... but yet I bought a savage... go figure.
After the up coming dragon run this summer, I will truly make the savage mine, at the moment I am simply making it fit for a vacation trip.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 04/10/14 at 22:01:15

Quote:
Performance
Despite displacing 650cc's, Suzuki's one-lung cruiser will be left in the dust by many bikes having less than half it's displacement. The motor feels gutless and starved for air in the upper half of the rev range, and you'll never see its 6,500 RPM redline.
Totally wrong, written by a non-rider who only cares about top speed.

When the traffic signal goes green NOTHING beats the Savage across the intersection.  People can only beat us by going over the speed limits.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 04/10/14 at 23:09:23

Okay, it ain't a crotchrocket... nobody said it was...
...but, it's light and has torque, so it stasts off very quick...

After 7 years of riding my Savage,.. I was wondering why traffic pulls away from the light so fast...
And then I realized... from listening to the revs...
Most of these people nowadays... are practically flooring their cars at every light,... and I have been using barely 1/4 throttle to keep up...

It's just habit... I know I can go faster, but I end up caught at the next light anyway...

If I gas it... I'll take almost anybody at a light, up to the next light...
Total waste of time and gas,.. but it will launch fast...

If an experienced crotcher, or a 60lk sports car really launches... they will creep ahead...

Pfffht!...

The other day.....I was politely putting away from a half dozen lights, trailing an uber-loud Hog running in the lane next to me...
Just didn't want to upset him with a weenie-size contest...
... but then, with a load of traffic behind, I needed to get his lane to turn at the next light, so I accelerated...
His bike roared to keep up but didn't...  once we were ahead of the crowd, I let off and pulled in behind him to turn...
WTF... I got no ego invested in my Savage...
My good deed for the day... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 04/11/14 at 00:42:25

The Savage is a cute little toy motorcycle. It works, it's inexpensive w/o being overly "cheap" except the cut rate chrome and ultralight wiring, almost no market/demand for them stateside so insurance is low...

I've got 2 right now. I could easily have gone bigger (would have if VN800A prices ever come back to the real world), but I got what I need. That's all I ask of a bike, do what I need it to, when I need it to, and the rest is just fluff.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 04/11/14 at 02:37:11

I mean how darn fast to you have to go? I agree for interstate travel it is a bit light but here in Oregon the freeway speeds are 65 and at the most 70. Our bikes handle both speeds pretty well. I knew when I bought it that I could go bigger, but my plans were to mostly cruise secondary roads. As far as a toy bike goes, I would not go as far to say that. My friends own big BMW's and Kawasaki's  and I stay right there with them on the freeways and they all think my bike is a great motorcycle. Get lots of "Nice Bike" from strangers and most think it is a Sportster anyway. I have owned lots of bikes and this one is my favorite of all. 54,000 miles and not one major repair says alot about the quality of the 650. Besides, I  paid less than $4,000 back in 03 and it has brought me tons of great riding experiences. I could care less what anyone thinks.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 04/11/14 at 03:41:30

Did the guy not notice that this bike IS the "low" cost leader in the cruiser line up for Suzuki ?  By definition that means that everything on this bike is going to be "low cost".  Surprise Surprise.  That translates into a few handicaps right out of the gate, BUT ... they can be FIXED.  A little massage here, a little massage there, and it emerges as a totally different machine.
Muffler; jets; shocks; forks; seat; belt/chain;brake; cam; carb; piston; ports; what ever your comfort level, things can be done that the factory FAILED to do.

We are not talking about building a racing machine, like many of the bikes coming off the factory assembly line; built and tuned to a fine edge that were only found on the race track not to many years ago.  
The "improvements" to this bike enhance braking, handling, and efficient running, along with comfort, but nothing radical, we have sought for efficiency.   If only Suzuki could see it that way, but I don't think they want it that way, I don't think they want it to be a successful selling bike because it would take away from the more expensive v-twin cruisers.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 04/11/14 at 03:46:56

I wanted air cooled, carb, single cylinder, ease of maintenance....the belt drive turned out to be a bonus.  I wanted a bike that I could work on and ride for a long time.....until I could not ride anymore.  I did not want to spend a lot of money.

The Savage met that criteria and got me hooked.  The Cafe' conversion may have taken some of the "senior years" riding away from me on this bike - but I sure am enjoying it while I can still lean over to grab the clip ons!

Yea......If I was young and had a large number of free bikes to road test and write stories about......I probably would not be too impressed with the Savage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
walterpump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern Ontario
Reply #14 - 04/11/14 at 05:04:05

At 72 years young I spent $2000 for my 2003 last year and I believe it is hard to find a better all around bike today.  Light, single cylinder, carb, belt drive, good on fuel, not too hard to work on, great to mod - I am lovin this bike and I have had a few over the years.
This year I will be cruzin down the byways with a DynaGlide Muffler, Carb Rejetted, Vapor Digital Dash, new Metzler 880's, Sportster Shocks and Handlebars, fresh oil & filter, new plug, and away I go - Vrooooom.
ITS NEVER TOO LATE TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD - Ha, Ha.

Modding Madness
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:30:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Uhhh, I don't think so!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.