Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spin front tire forward good, spin back locks up (Read 101 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Spin front tire forward good, spin back locks up
04/09/14 at 15:34:07

Was backing up the bike and noticed it got hard to pull backwards and squeaked like the brakes were being locked up. IF I turned  (while backing) left it got really tight, turn right , it eased up.

So I stuck it up on a jack, spun it forward, like glass.... spun it backward, 1/2 rotation it started getting tight, 3/4 got squeaking, by one full turn in reverse it locked up....and took a lot of force to even move it backwards.

What could it be? is there a spring set on the pads? Don't have time or in shape enough now to look further, so thought i'd ask what to check.

Should I just jack it up and pull the caliper set off and clean up the pistons? and see if anything is coming loose?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Spin front tire forward good, spin back locks
Reply #1 - 04/09/14 at 18:03:52

Quote:
Should I just jack it up and pull the caliper set off and clean up the pistons?

That seems like a good place to start except I would check the wheel without the caliper and see if everything is OK before working on the caliper.  I have seen bearings fail that would rotate fine in one direction but get jammed up in the other direction.  If the wheel spins OK, you know it is the brake and go from there.  And while the caliper is off you can spin the wheel and clean up the rotor with some very fine wet/dry paper.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 04/09/14 at 19:56:14

Sorry, it's normal.  

There is momentum wedging that takes place when your pads hit your rotor when it is rotating forward normally (moves the locked pads forward in the pad holder).  Wear and seat in in takes place in the "wedged forward" position.  

This is where your pads normally stay in normal riding.

Clearance when your brakes come off is normally only a couple of thousandths per side, but all is well.

Do it backwards (roll your bike backwards and hit the front brake lightly) and expect some noise and rub after that until you roll it forwards and hit the brake again a couple of times.  The pads were freed up and getting wedged the other way in the holder for a bit and that new alignment and fit up takes up some of the tiny running clearance.

Using rubbery stuff anti-squeal on the backs of your pads actually can make this worse as it takes up some of your clearance space making your brakes more "touchy" to the backwards rub situation.  

Think of it like this, you make seating grooves in that rubbery stuff when braking normally.  Then when you apply the brakes backwards you move the pads in the brake holder recess all the way the other way and the leg forms and the cup circle don't hit the old rubbery grooves exactly right any more until you re-seat everything with some correct direction braking.

Don't sweat it, as long as it "heals" with some correct braking it is normal.

If it gets tight braking backwards and stays tight after correctly braking forward 3-4 times hard  -- you got problems of another sort.

But try it out a time or two and tell us what you got.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 04/09/14 at 23:03:09

Grease the caliper sliders, grease the back of the pads, and chamfer the pad edges. Will clear it right up. It will still stick a bit in back up mode, but not as much. The Savage front brake is a micro version of those on a 1973 F100, needs the same tricks.

« Last Edit: 04/11/14 at 00:18:05 by WD »  

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 04/10/14 at 09:26:55

Will try that WD..

Not that I mind it much, but I don't like the fact that the brakes "self apply" when I back up the bike, my lower back is bad enough without having to use my legs to force it to back up in neutral with no brake applied.

Thanks for the replies fella's, I will get to the removal soon as I can, I just hate working with any brake system.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/10/14 at 13:48:25

How about that, learn something new every day!  My Savage never had that problem, so, something to think about.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 04/10/14 at 17:48:07

I've never had a problem like that on a bike with disk brakes.  How are the pads getting c0cked enough to grab and hold like that?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #7 - 04/10/14 at 17:56:41

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/09/14 at 19:56:14:

Sorry, it's normal.  

There is momentum wedging that takes place when your pads hit your rotor when it is rotating forward normally (moves the locked pads forward in the pad holder).  Wear and seat in in takes place in the "wedged forward" position.  

Thanks! My 2007 only has a little over 2000 miles and the front brake grabs and makes a creaking sound when I'm backing up too. It doesn't lock up but I do have to push a little. Good to know it's normal behavior.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 04/11/14 at 00:19:36

My 98 was the same way, finally sold the wheel, gave Lancer the caliper, hose and master cylinder, and the bike has a drum older than I am on it.

The 2003 front brake doesn't do that. But the rear brake seems to self loosen, and the idle speed screw resets itself at random. Oh well, it IS a Savage, nothing unexpected. Did drain a fresh T6 fill out today and put regular 15W40 Rotella in, too hot for 5W40 already. Dang bike sounded like a 2 stroke falling down a cliff with the thin stuff in it.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 04/11/14 at 22:26:52

Our local wally world has 15-40w rotella on sale.... I put some T5 in it to clean it out.... might stop by and get me some plain stuff tomorrow
if the 40w quiets it down, I am all for that

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #10 - 04/11/14 at 22:46:03

WD wrote on 04/11/14 at 00:19:36:
Did drain a fresh T6 fill out today and put regular 15W40 Rotella in, too hot for 5W40 already. Dang bike sounded like a 2 stroke falling down a cliff with the thin stuff in it.

Ha. That might be why mine is so noisy. We're already at 100 degrees and I'm running 5W40.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:30:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Spin front tire forward good, spin back locks up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.