Send Topic Print
Rubber Side Up (Read 137 times)
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Rubber Side Up
04/09/14 at 13:29:34

I hated to admit it - but I allowed a bike to go over on it's side  -  not hard  and in soft gravel   but still over    there were riding seasons in yester-year  1977-78  when I rode like a mad man - as a kid - on dirt bikes    
  in the dirt    and never lost it     now………..I can't even keep it upright pulling into my own driveway       How many of you have "lost it" and under what conditions ?     And how many of you haven't ?    :'( Lips Sealed Grin

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: Rubber Side Up
Reply #1 - 04/09/14 at 13:43:32

The first time I lost it, I was at the end of a dead end street that had a sand/gravel patch at the very end.  I tried doing a slow U-turn and made it most of the way.  Then I learned the hard way why you DON'T goose the throttle in gravel.  Bike slid right out from under me.  I tried to catch it, but couldn't stop it.  Tore my jeans, chewed the end of the footpeg a bit, but no major damage other than my pride.

The second time, I was coming to a stop in some gravel on the side of a small state highway to help out a fellow biker who was stopped.  I lower my legs to come to a complete stop and stand up, and I just tip over.  To this day I still don't know how.

Since then I've taken specific care to learn how to ride in less than optimal conditions.   Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 04/09/14 at 15:24:37

heh..... I lost it last year in Georgia on my way to the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Camp.
Was pulling off the highway to answer the phone and hit a ton of loose stuff in a parking lot of a restaurant that had been closed forever.
Busted my back picking up the bike....lol... i'll never try to clean and jerk a bike that is leaking out the gas cap ever again.... just start unpacking it and let it burn if it starts fire.... I learned my lesson.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 04/09/14 at 15:30:18

I've hit gravel three times in the past month and almost lost it. I have a whole new respect for it now.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 04/09/14 at 15:37:26

riding over my wet lawn and onto the concrete driveway on an oblique angle, the lawn/driveway intersection was enough to have the back wheel slip out from under me. almost zero speed and it still hurt  :'(

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 04/09/14 at 15:49:42

A few close calls, mostly on loose gravel but no tip overs yet   Cool

YET!

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #6 - 04/09/14 at 16:26:17

I have dropped so many bikes in so many gas stations and parkings lots, that I have lost count.  Lots of new levers and mirrors and such.  Now I ride a trike.  No more "Oopsies".

IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #7 - 04/09/14 at 17:04:12

2 Summers ago on a maxim 400 i was riding in woods on a semi paved road, that is, paved at one time but ont really maintained, i was going into a left curve and then the sun shot through a gap in the leaves and popped me right in the eyes, i sneezed, and then i was on my back 10 feet beyond my bike. A nice road burn from shoulder to belt on my left side https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.597943155632.2047903.67100258&type=... snapped chain twisted forks and destroyed ignition switch because of course it was 90 and i was in a t shirt on a road i had ridden a hundred times....... at least i was only going 35 or so.

So now its leathers all the time and a tinted shield full helmet (other was a open face.)

Oh anyone want to buy a ....gently.... used 85? maxim 400?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 04/09/14 at 19:03:57

HUH?  Low speed drops happen.
Circa 1955, pedal bike turning too fast
Circa 1968, rented BMW in Izmir, Turkey.  Went sideways first, for quite a way, and then toppled over, me off the bike, sitting on my tushy.
Circa 1975, DT175 in a dry creek, no injuries other than breaking a collar bone.  Breaking a bone does not cause pain.  Putting it back does.
Circa 2006, do not go too slow in the rain with railroad tracks at an angle.
Last year on my Vespa leaving Ralphs -- one part of the brain said hang a right to the walkway beside the building and hop the curb on Redondo Beach, other part of the brain said 'dude!  11" wheels don't go over tall curbs!', so the third part of the brain said huh? and just laid down on the side.

About three more fall overs and I get a sidecar!

WWW   IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #9 - 04/09/14 at 21:26:17

thankfully my only spill was very, very low speed. I had needlessly taken my rear wheel off trying to get passenger pegs off to fix... before I found the tab and hex screw. When I put everything back together I forgot to make sure my brake line was tight enough. Jumped on the bike, road to the end of the driveway and hit the brake...nothing. panicked and grabbed front brake..too hard. bike slid out from under me like it was on ice. re-broke rear turn signal, just some more duct tape... lesson learned.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 04/09/14 at 22:17:51

I never fall...    I crash... Huh...
Fast n' hard... everytime...

If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' right... Grin

Things may be different with my Harley... (Sucker is heavy)...
I might can drop that one... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #11 - 04/10/14 at 05:53:33

Serowbot  :  I did have one pavement mishap(faster and harder)  back in 1981    I used to wheelie ride(sometimes thru the gears)  -  until I flipped my Yamaha XT500     I learned a lesson that day   not about wheelie riding - about too many beers and riding    

S-P  :  I also have a new respect for gravel    I almost lost it last year in a roundabout(with a few pieces of gravel)    My front tire slid-then-grabbed on the pavement      

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #12 - 04/10/14 at 11:38:39

And then there was the off road error     the first day I had my 74 Hodaka Super Combat 125,  I came up over a rise too fast(without knowing exactly what awaited me)  It went downhill(steep and long) into 4" to 14" of powder - and so did I    but not upright     I learned a lesson that day, too : never override your vision(must be able to brake to a stop within range of eyesight)    

I hope that more of you will share something from your past

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #13 - 04/10/14 at 18:03:13

I haven't dropped the savage yet.  My 11 year old did one day. No damage at all.  He let it down slow, just couldn't get the weight back up.

I dropped my goldwind in a huge mud puddle in the yard one time.  The water had permeated to a couple inches down and made a very squishy mess.  No damage other than muddy water and a little mud on the foot pegs.  You should try picking up one of those in slick, slimy 2" deep mud.

Went down on the 350 when I ws 17.  Turned into a parking lot with a friend of mine in a huge downpour.  Hit a super slick spot in the concrete sidewalk cutout. 4 stitches, broken clutch handle, broken mirror. I was much more worried about the busted clutch than I was the blood pouring out from between my fingers.  Seems my hand slid right over a water meter cover and the little cutout for opening it went on each side of my knuckle removing the skin to the point that I could see my bones, ligaments, and knuckle working.

Just take it easy. Be prepared. Watch your surroundings especially at stops.

If it happens, do what you can to minimize damage to yourself and your bike.  If it's you or the bike...let the bike take it.  It is more easily repaired.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 04/12/14 at 09:51:04

Coming to a halt, down to maybe 3 MPH,,sand & a front brake.. I was standing there with it laying on its side between my feet,,dangitt!  
Wet grass in the back yard,, been down a few times back there.
Anyway, if you wanna see just how fast gravity works, use that front brake in a "compromised traction" situation.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:18:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rubber Side Up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.