Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Farewell Savagees and Savage for Sale (Read 143 times)
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Farewell Savagees and Savage for Sale
04/09/14 at 10:54:11

So, after having 3 different Savages/S40's I thought I would never betray the trusty Savage.

A few weeks ago, on a whim I bought a 1986 Yamaha Virago XV700 from a friend's husband for $500. It has 17k miles on it, but had been sitting in a garage for 3 years. It's been said there's nothing more expensive than a free motorcycle, so it's a good thing this one was $500  Smiley

Changed all the fuel and vacuum lines, cleaned the carbs, cleaned the gas tank, changed oil and filter, new battery...

...and VROOM VROOM...synced the carbs

Took it for the first drive, and fell in love.
With my Savage, anything over 75mph and she was really struggling.
With my Virago, keeping it under 75 is a struggle  Smiley
The extra power is certainly intoxicating, having a tach, trip odometer and self cancelling turn signals is a plus too.

With that, I only like keeping one bike around, so sadly, the S40 is going on the block for sale.

Near Mint Condition Black 2007 S40, 8k miles, new tires (less than one year old), new AGM battery (less than one year old). Oil changed about 3 months ago. I think I'm gonna be asking in the $2600 range. If any of you are in the DFW area and might be interested, lemme know.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Farewell Savagees and Savage for Sale
Reply #1 - 04/09/14 at 11:16:01

I don't mean to hijack your thread but how does it cancel the turn signals? I'll admit I'm guilty of riding with my blinker going for a mile or two!   Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #2 - 04/09/14 at 11:25:27

Kris01 wrote on 04/09/14 at 11:16:01:
I don't mean to hijack your thread but how does it cancel the turn signals? I'll admit I'm guilty of riding with my blinker going for a mile or two!   Grin

On mine, it is controlled with time (10 seconds) AND a preset distance via a reed switch in the odometer. When both of them pass, the turn signal is cancelled. Of course you can also cancel it by pushing in on the switch.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 04/09/14 at 12:03:06

I don't think I'll try to copy that on my S40!  I'm just too lazy!   Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
jde30
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/09/14 at 17:22:27

My S40 is the bike I learned to ride with 4 years ago. I just bought an 05 Victory Kingpin. I know what you mean by the Savage/s40 is winded at 75mph my victory is just getting going at that speed  Grin. I still love to ride my S40 around town. but on a long ride the Victory can't be beat. Good luck with the Virago.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/09/14 at 18:12:11

Congratulations on a good buy and good luck with selling your S40!  Tell the next owner that he (or she) should visit this forum.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 04/10/14 at 00:32:09

I hear ya on the highway speed thing, I just bought a Ninja 500r and will be listing my S40 too, for pretty much the same reasons

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 04/10/14 at 07:25:19

Congratz on the "new" bike. i see bikes ( old but nice metrics) on CL quite often... but generally not a deal like yours.  Dropping back to a 1986 is just to risky for me... though to be honest I like the styling MUCH better than the current "lets all look like a HD" trend.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 04/10/14 at 07:47:57

Pine wrote on 04/10/14 at 07:25:19:
Congratz on the "new" bike. i see bikes ( old but nice metrics) on CL quite often... but generally not a deal like yours.  Dropping back to a 1986 is just to risky for me... though to be honest I like the styling MUCH better than the current "lets all look like a HD" trend.

The whole point of the "Yammerscammer Very Slow" was to emulate the long gone Vincent. Offset cylinders, engine as a stressed chassis member, even the swingarm/shock design was a direct knock off. The crown jewel in the "Brit bike tribute" was the XV1100, it truly was "The best Black Shadow Vincent never made". Yamaha's other world class tribute bike, the XS650 Special with 60 spoke wheels, was the best British parallel twin ever made... Yamaha got the rights to a 1954 design exercise Triumph-BSA collaboration and ran with it. Other than the lighting coil and the vacuum petcocks, the XS650 WAS the best p-twin ever built.

Even your 1100 road barge is a Vincent homage. It is the old XV1100 engine, in a better looking chassis, with a seriously upgraded electrical system. More Black Prince gentleman's motorcycle than Black Shadow hooligan.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:16:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › Farewell Savagees and Savage for Sale

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.