Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unreal 4 engine now native for Linux and Steam (Read 41 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Unreal 4 engine now native for Linux and Steam
04/09/14 at 09:37:34

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/179858-unreal-engine-4-now-supports-linux-a...

this would have been a media box, but YaBB media boxes aren't working right now, so click on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtfCWYjOsvI#t=35

Unreal 4 means all AAA title games should be able to run on Linux and Steam just as well as it does on the custom game boxes.   With this in place, if it doesn't come out Linux ready it is because the developer wants to limit the game to only one venue due to some contractual reasons.

Example, games primarily developed for a box venue (Halo games for example) will never come out in Linux because the game box maker (Microsoft) wants you to buy their new Xbox and they are twisting your arm until you do.

People are leaving Xbox now because of such like behaviors (Sony is cooperating with Steam OS for example) but that is a different story for some other forum to hash over.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Unreal 4 engine now native for Linux and Steam
Reply #1 - 04/09/14 at 09:48:54

I was curious as to why Sony is doing 4 times the sales that MS is on their game boxes and yet they want to cooperate with Steam and Linux on Unreal 4 engine -- seemed to be unusual to me.

This article gives you an idea why -- game boxes have been losing big big money for years now and the gaming industry is hitting a tip point and I think this very recent Unreal 4 move might just be the tipping point that rolls all gaming into a more common pool of hardware going forward in time -- certainly going in the 64 bit good GPU powered ARM/Android/Linux/Steam land of the future.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2014/02/18/microsoft-should-give-xbox...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 04/09/14 at 12:57:11

As former/semi-current "gamer' I can tell you it is a VERY complicated model that risen.

I do think there is at least ONE parallel say with the automobile... or for that matter motorcycles.

Just as with most US car owners... most just buy a car and drive it stock. Its just too complicated and proprietary not to. Computers use to be easy... not too expensive to "mod", and such mods could afford at least some payback in gameplay. Today.. not so much. You can choose to buy and install high dollar, but dropoff in gains get severe pretty fast. (32GB RAM is not better than 8GB.. for 99% of games) This has dropped an entire niche of game players.

Other factors: hacking is very sophisticated.. game makers cant get thier money back when game is pirated 24 hours after release. hacking also ruins game play. Groups abound to "mine" ingame currency to then sell for US dollars. This dominates all MMO games today, and and ended the ability of the game to create a stable virtual entity.

Lastly, is of course the cell phone game. Teens are now addicted to 100% always being online, and playing something. To wait to get to a console or desktop to sit down and play... is just passe.  This has really broken the old model. Nothing can be done to really fix this. This also means that cheaper consoles.. cheaper desktops will not fix anything for game makers... its not the price.. its the 100% connectivity.

Funny thing??? What if you were a teen addicted to a cell phone game... and I gave you Google Glass and the game was on that? Now you can be playing and possibly no-one will even know. Its plugged into your eye... You just talk to it. And you want the kids to wait til they get home to get on the console???  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 04/10/14 at 08:36:21

Android/ARM based gaming is growing by leaps and bounds, but they still aren't very complex games since they sell for such small dollars.

But 10,000 small dollar purchases mean large enough dollars to keep a young programmer in hot pockets and soda so he can keep on with his programming.

My son in law took a poke at writing a Android game when he was still in school, but he quit after the first one as it took too much time for the return he got (although he did get a check or two, it wasn't for much).

Here is a hard fact, for most of the world Android is THE only OS product they use.  They don't have a car yet, but are working on it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 04/10/14 at 09:06:57

Pine wrote on 04/09/14 at 12:57:11:
Funny thing??? What if you were a teen addicted to a cell phone game... and I gave you Google Glass and the game was on that? Now you can be playing and possibly no-one will even know. Its plugged into your eye... You just talk to it. And you want the kids to wait til they get home to get on the console???  

Man I wish.... but the Glass is just not as agile as everyone thinks it is...albeit I love the thing, but it is causing more issues publically than I like.
Hell cell phones are faster to use, not as noisy, shoot better quality video and easier to post with than the glass.
Fact is Jr. can video you and post it far faster and easier than I could with the glass and you wouldn't hear him saying "OK Glass Record Video" or "OK Glass Send Text Message"
People don't realize that glass is not yet as versatile as it needs to be, it is just another hands free device that needs improvement.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:19:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Unreal 4 engine now native for Linux and Steam

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.