Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
86 budget bobber build (already over budget) (Read 556 times)
blueknight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

86 budget bobber build (already over budget)
04/08/14 at 17:09:19

Hello everyone, I posted up in the introduction section a couple of weeks ago and I'm just now getting some time to start my build thread, things are kind of crazy with a 4 month old daughter. As stated in my intro thread I picked up an 86 savage on a pretty good deal to satisfy my need to build a bobber. What started out as a budget build has quickly exceeded the budget that I had set for it and its nowhere near the roller stage yet, but thats ok because this is something I've had bouncing around my head for many years now it I will not me satisfied unless its perfect (in my eyes).  

this is how it sat the evening I brought it home

the previous owner hacked up the stock handle bars and came up with this interesting horror show. however, after riding with them a few miles they kind of grew on me a bit but they will not accommodate internal throttle and clutch cables so they got to go  

and the tear down begins

prepping the frame for a voodoo vintage hardtail.

hardtail tacked up and ready for weld out

I initially was going to go with a sporty tank buy every bobber under the sun has that so I went with lowbrow customs/ cleveland cyclewerks P-Nut tank and it fits amazingly well

the side covers are in really bad shape, with a couple hours of sanding and polishing they will have a mirror finish

im not sure of the service life of the tensioner so im going to pull it and have it modded just for piece of mind.

with only a 2 gallon tank on board I ordered one of lowbrow customs 30oz fuel reserve bottle and picked up some leather from tandy that i cut and dyed to make a sling that will strap to the frame.

thanks to voodoo vintage for keeping the beer cold and this project rolling smooth.

there is much more work, pics and probably questions to came

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: 86 budget bobber build (already over budget)
Reply #1 - 04/08/14 at 17:16:22

In my experience, whatever your budget is -- double it! That's approximately what you will spend.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 04/08/14 at 18:31:30

You're really going to town! That little peanut tank looks the shiz.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/08/14 at 21:57:55

Bikes don't have budgets...  eat more Ramen dinners...  Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 04/08/14 at 22:40:18

Serowbot wrote on 04/08/14 at 21:57:55:
Bikes don't have budgets...  eat more Ramen dinners...  Grin...

Forget timelines as well. 3 years and counting on my 98 LS650 retro project. Got fed up and bought another one to actually ride.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
SavageCat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central VA
Reply #5 - 04/09/14 at 06:34:11

What seat is on there? If its in ok condition...are you willing to part with it?

Thanks,
--Skip

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 04/09/14 at 07:27:52

Looks suspiciously like a VN800A seat. Raise or delete the sissybar and move the taillight back a couple inches for clearance. It could be any number of HD or metric sourced seats though, a lot of them look the same.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/09/14 at 08:58:11

After experimenting with several approaches to getting the clear off the engine parts I tried putting a 3M Green scrubby pad on the small ( palm sized) orbital sander. By spritzing w/ a water bottle it wont clog up so fast. Leaves a nice finish, ready to be cleared. The rattle can stuff from the hardware store yellowed quickly. You mite want a better quality product. Id ( IF I was doin it again) go to the automotive supply house, where body shops go to get their stuff,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageCat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central VA
Reply #8 - 04/10/14 at 05:50:05

WD wrote on 04/09/14 at 07:27:52:
Looks suspiciously like a VN800A seat. Raise or delete the sissybar and move the taillight back a couple inches for clearance. It could be any number of HD or metric sourced seats though, a lot of them look the same.

I even like the sissy bar that is in the original pic...willing to part with any of those items Sire Blue?

IP Logged
blueknight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/12/14 at 06:33:46

SavageCat wrote on 04/10/14 at 05:50:05:

I even like the sissy bar that is in the original pic...willing to part with any of those items Sire Blue?

I have no clue as to what this seat came off of. The PO had switched many of the bolts out for standard and had a couple of harleys in the garage so who knows. If your interested in the parts we can work something out as I will not be using them in my build. I no longer have the mounting struts for the sissy bar, but that were made out of some thin wall square aluminum tubing that can be picked up at home depot.

IP Logged
blueknight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/12/14 at 06:45:51

finished up the fuel bottle sling, just need to make some straps to hold it to the frame once its mocked up. im pretty happy with the way it turned out since this was the first time working with leather.

my LED tail light/ tag light and turn signals came in.

the turn signals have a blueish mirrored glass lens that will be similar to the frame color when done

IP Logged
Prestonean
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/21/14 at 12:17:46

Looks great!  Hope to see some more pics soon.

That must be the p-nut tank with no tabs?  How are you planning to mount it?  You think can swap mine onto my factory Savage without too much hassle?

Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #12 - 04/21/14 at 18:54:53

SavageCat wrote on 04/10/14 at 05:50:05:

SC I'm thinking that sissy bar is just a stock bar that has been extended with some square tubing. A fairly simple project with a few hand tools and a bit of time.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
SavageCat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central VA
Reply #13 - 04/22/14 at 07:24:25

Zar, looks close but the pad looks different, but I could likely make my current bar and pad work.

Blue...send me a PM with what you are wanting for it and I'll let you know the status of my wallet Smiley Mainly interested in the seat as it has much more cushion in the rear for my lady!

Thanks,

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 04/22/14 at 08:00:17

Looks like a Sportster or Dyna sissybar based on the pad shape. Any competent machine shop can drill/tap holes to fit them to the stock Savage mounting rails.

I have a fully studded out VN800A seat (modified Mustang cover and cut base) ready to go on my 03 as soon as I find my cateye taillight... and matching Saddlemen bags for when I relocate the rear turn signals. New windshield plastic should be here today. Using a VN800A spec Memphis Shades Big Shot, with the brackets reworked to fit a VS800, on a Savage... the screen and bike are completely incompatible according to Memphis Shades, so, may ride down to their headquarters (less than 40 miles away) and thumb my nose at them... works fine, just don't use a cracked one on the road.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 11:13:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 86 budget bobber build (already over budget)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.