Harley 500cc (Read 519 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Harley Street
Reply #30 - 03/30/15 at 15:01:23

Just saw this post from HD & thought a few of the Café guys here might like to see what they did with a new HD Street...

HDTweet.jpg

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Harley 500cc
Reply #31 - 03/30/15 at 18:07:18

Can't tell it by me, everything is hidden.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #32 - 03/30/15 at 23:32:12

Pretty generic. Aftermarket Honda CB gas tank with "cafe dents". Cheap aftermarket tailpan (looks like one of Omar's rejects).

If you haven't trundled into an "authorized" stealership and eyeballed the new "Street" bikes in person... it's worth a good laugh. Makes J.A. Pan Inc's cartoon V twins from the 80s (Yammerscammer Very Slow, Slopoki Intruder, Kawi VN700/750, Honda VT series) look positively stellar in comparison. At least Yamaha had the sense to rip off Vincent when they debuted the Virago series, and the XS650 was a 1954 BSA/Triumph design exercise that never made it to production (early ones said BSA on the inner case castings, Yammie bought the original molds and forgot to modify them)... The new "Street" is a cheap rip off of a VT500, no doubt about it.

You couldn't knock the "Oh Golly Gosh, welcome to 7-Eleven" off the new HD baby bikes with a direct hit high explosive round from an M1 Abrams...  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 03/31/15 at 06:11:22

So, not on your bucket list?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #34 - 03/31/15 at 09:55:33

This was one of the bikes I looked (really it was the 750, but, same thing) at when I was trying to decide what bike I wanted to get (before I ended up deciding on the savage). Along with a Vulcan, Sportster, and Shadow. What I think Harley is trying to do is appeal to more beginners and anyone into the Cafe Racer/Bobber/"Custom Cycle" scene. I see a lot of manufacturers are bringing back old bikes,

Suzuki with their TU250X

Yamaha with their SR400

Honda with the CB1100

Those seem to pop out at me the most since I'm a jap-bike fan. I see a lot of "hipsters" cruising around on older CB's and other old bikes that they have rat-biked and bobbed. Seems like it's quickly became a new (or resurrected) trend.

The issue I had with it, goes back to the "market study" mentioned earlier, it's got that Harley name, so people will pay $7500 for it. I'd rather get a Shadow if I'm gonna pay that much. That's why I chose the Savage, I haven't hit 25 years old yet and just about any other bike I chose, would have had insurance premiums through the roof. The other thing, I'm skeptical about "new" models. Cars or motorcycles, you never know what issues will surface in the first batch of products. The savage has been around for so long, everyone knows what it already needs. A raptor petcock and a verslavy tensioner. Other than that, it's flawless for it's designed intentions.

I think the HD Street looks pretty cool. I just don't wanna pay Sportster prices for a 500. The Savage would probably out perform it anyways, with the exception of top speed, but going over 80 MPH is illegal almost everywhere.

As Always, all this is just my personal opinion.

« Last Edit: 03/31/15 at 11:18:06 by savskad »  

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #35 - 04/01/15 at 13:58:13

Stopped by the Harley dealer today just to look at the streets. The appear kinda "thick" in person.
Was looking just to be looking, never seen one in person, I think they can keep them.
Nice that they are water cooled and fuel injected though. Of course that's more to have trouble with in the future.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 04/02/15 at 17:52:07

Me personally....I think if Harley wanted a starter bike they should have stuck with what they know.  Take the Buell Blast engine and made a small Sportster around it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #37 - 04/02/15 at 18:45:24

I ride a Harley and MY Woman rides a Harley.

That will probably sell enough of them to pay for the tooling up.
I've seen women look at me on the Savage, riding behind the Big Man, and I saw them wish they had a smaller,lighter,easy to handle ride.

So much to say, typing is just not fun...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #38 - 04/02/15 at 20:42:15

I don't like typing either, and I love talk to text on my S3, maybe I need Dragon on my PC

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #39 - 04/02/15 at 20:43:43

I test rode one of the Indian 500CC Harleys.

It is never going to be a threat in the market place for anyone that is a serious motorcycle rider.

It is clumsy to ride and the brakes are difficult to use.

The engine, transmission and clutch are really smooth which I am sure will be a plus to new riders.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #40 - 04/02/15 at 20:50:07

from what I've heard it's built in India, too, so I wonder about the quality
I've heard the Blast powertrain wasn't very good, BTW, Eric apparently was pushed into building it against his wishes, and the quality reflected that

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 04/02/15 at 20:52:48

Ahh, good,, so, engine, transmission, good, brakes, not so good...

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #42 - 04/03/15 at 00:07:08

Kenny G wrote on 04/02/15 at 20:43:43:
I test rode one of the Indian 500CC Harleys.

It is never going to be a threat in the market place for anyone that is a serious motorcycle rider.

It is clumsy to ride and the brakes are difficult to use.
The engine, transmission and clutch are really smooth which I am sure will be a plus to new riders.

Kenny G

Your difficulties may be related to a different riding position and/or a rider height well over the designers' intended market share.
In other words... is they aimed this bike at the restrictive European market (48hp max for beginner riders) and "poorer" Asian markets, where people are often shorter than the typical 6' American, you might have found yourself in a tight squeeze.

Then you say engine, transmission and clutch are smooth, which leads one to think the bike is mechanically sound and well designed.

There's one serious competitor

Happy Easter !  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 04/03/15 at 04:34:00

Oooooh.!........She sure is! Kiss

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #44 - 04/03/15 at 15:56:29

l like that one much better   Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print