raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Harley 500cc
Reply #15 - 04/09/14 at 17:34:37

It's the name stupid  Grin

True story.....a study was done by a marketing firm at a major department store. They had the exact same product (shoe) but with different prices, one cheap, the other expensive. They of course changed the name, etc, to give the appearance of difference items. The more expensive one out sold the cheaper one.

My son graduated from University California with a masters in marketing, works for a large world wide hotel chain, its big business selling us on trade names, etc....

On a different note, can anybody design a new bike that won't look a little (or more) like another bike to some degree?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #16 - 04/09/14 at 20:02:20

Gizzo's comment is interesting. I'm inclined to believe that the target market is Asia/India where the price of a legit Harley is too dear for the emergent middle class. I don't think the Chinese would be too tolerant of poor quality in an iconic" brand, even though they make some rubbishy stuff themselves.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #17 - 04/09/14 at 20:33:13

gizzo wrote on 04/09/14 at 15:41:31:
If it's thrown together from across the room like my Indian Enfield, the target market of new riders is going to be very disappointed. Maybe even cured of motorcycling.

Oh man, those Enfields look soooo cool. If I had the money I'd-a-bought one. Yer killin' me.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 04/09/14 at 22:25:51

You gotta' wonder... why they left that tiny bit of fork tube and the rear shocks chrome...

I mean,.. so close to a total dark dunk... Huh...

...and,... JMHO but... radiators are so un-bike... Tongue...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #19 - 04/10/14 at 00:24:32

Can't the radiator thingy leak if the bike is dropped or falls over? If the radiator is a pressurised thingy, does it leak more rapidly than a non pressurised radiator thingy? Can it be hit by stones, rocks and road debris thingy's?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #20 - 04/10/14 at 03:23:59

the radiator c0ck?
the pressurised c0ck?
debris c0ck?
weird. Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 04/10/14 at 04:51:18

Yep radiators can be damaged and leak.  If you want a modern high mpg, high performance motorcycle that includes emmission controls.....it now comes watercooled.  Even lightweight trials bikes are now watercooled.  The temperatures are easier to regulate and the engine lasts longer.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #22 - 04/10/14 at 07:07:25

I'm going to reserve judgement till I see one in person but from what I've seen/read I kinda like it.

Only problem from an appearance standpoint IMO is the radiator. I can't understand why it has to be so BIG.

Despite what some of the hard core Harley guys think about it; liquid cooling just makes sense from an enginering standpoint.

Where it's made doesn't concern me all that much either. Honda and Suzuki both build some of thier bikes in China, and BMW has some of their motors manufactured there. I don't see any reason that with proper QC decent bikes can't be made in India. And 100% US made Harleys are not exactly without their problems either. Nothing is.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 04/10/14 at 07:30:55

And 100% US made Harleys are not exactly without their problems either. Nothing is.

There's no such thing as a 100% USA made Harley Davidson, never has been. They've always had, at minimum, a handful of Canadian or European sourced parts. Since the debut of the nose cone "Trouble Head" they've used Japanese and Taiwanese sourced electrical, suspension, rim and brake components. The Evo and the Twinkie (Twin Cam) are both Kawasaki designed engines, using parts from Toyota-Honda-Yamaha and General Motors of Canada...

Keihin and Mikuni (Japan) carburetors, Showa (Japan) forks and shocks, Denso (Japan) starters, NGK (Japan) sparkplugs, Stanley (Japan/Taiwan) lights-wiring-switches, Dunlop (Japan) tires, Lockheed-Wagner (England) brakes, Delphi (Canada) fuel injection, Excell (Japan) wheels, Emgo (Taiwan) filters, Bridgestone-Firestone (Japan) tires, Screaming Eagle (Taiwan-Korea-China) accessories... I could go on for awhile...  this is just a small portion of parts that were/are sourced from outside the USA (or the company headquarters are no longer in the USA).  

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #24 - 04/10/14 at 08:36:18

Quote:
There's no such thing as a 100% USA made Harley Davidson, never has been.

You're right. I should have said US assembled HD. But my point is the same. In todays world whether something is a POS or not a POS has very little to do with where the components come from.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 04/10/14 at 08:54:20

oldNslow wrote on 04/10/14 at 08:36:18:
Quote:
There's no such thing as a 100% USA made Harley Davidson, never has been.

You're right. I should have said US assembled HD. But my point is the same. In todays world whether something is a POS or not a POS has very little to do with where the components come from.

Definitely true. Look at the major league flop known as the V-Rod, a Porsche-Citroen-Harley Davidson design exercise that should have been absolutely flawless. Biggest turd the Motor Company put out since the AMF Nose Cone Shovelhead...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #26 - 04/10/14 at 09:07:24

gizzo wrote on 04/10/14 at 03:23:59:
the radiator c0ck?
the pressurised c0ck?
debris c0ck?
weird. Grin Grin Grin

My brain is hurting trying to figure this one out...
I'm running through every bad word I ever learnt...
Must be a NZ thingy...Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 04/10/14 at 10:04:59

Serowbot wrote on 04/10/14 at 09:07:24:
gizzo wrote on 04/10/14 at 03:23:59:
the radiator c0ck?
the pressurised c0ck?
debris c0ck?
weird. Grin Grin Grin

My brain is hurting trying to figure this one out...
I'm running through every bad word I ever learnt...
Must be a NZ thingy...Undecided...

He's running thru every instance of his use of "c0ck" that was changed to "thingy" in his previous post.

the bloody wally   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #28 - 04/10/14 at 16:47:18

Just a bit of fun at the fuel ccock's expense... Wink

Hey, WD why is the VRod considered such a slag then? I know a couple of owners who love them and they seem oil tight, reliable, suspension that seems to work and go like a cut cat (the bike that is. The owners, not so much).. Not trying to start an argument, I'm genuinely interested. Thanks.
s

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #29 - 04/11/14 at 00:17:29

They couldn't hardly give them away in the USA. Too ghetto for most Harley Davidson fans. I heard more than one prospective buyer walking away shaking his head saying "Too ugly, too quiet, lousy seating position", among other more colorful comments...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:28:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Harley 500cc

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.