Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need Real World Data on Cam/Big Bore Piston etc. (Read 131 times)
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Need Real World Data on Cam/Big Bore Piston etc.
04/07/14 at 19:47:59

I've been reading the forums for 2 days straight trying to find real world data on these mods.  

Now before any of you say, "just get a faster bike" "the savage isn't meant to go fast" or "it costs too much for minimal gains", I'm not looking for a fast bike, but rather a faster savage.  I'm also not worried about cost, what I'm more worried about is longevity.

I plan to ride this bike hard from stop light to stop light and I also plan on taking it on 2 hour trips here and there.

What I would like to know is, who here has long and hard miles on their big bore/performance cammed savage?  Not who knows someone or heard of someone who has one, but current members who put their bike in its paces?

I've read maybe 2 or 3 threads where people did the mods, then they vanish when people ask them how its holding up.

I'm ready to buy a cam and piston, but don't want the motor to grenade like I've read would happen.

So please, real answers as I'd like to get this motor finished while its already apart.

Regards,

Peter

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Need Real World Data on Cam/Big Bore Piston et
Reply #1 - 04/07/14 at 22:53:10

I wanna say Nitride the cylinder,, mite be the right word,, mite not, Hold yer horses a few,, someone will be along who knows,, anyway, there ARE a few who have done it up & got most of the ponies out of it, AND, lightened it up..
Get a cam, put the Versy in, if $$$ doesnt matter & you want as much as you can tune ,, then well,, Id Start with the Dyna muffler,, or whatever Old Feller suggests,, OR, Supertrapp.,.I got about the same power increase from the Supertrapp as the cam,, & I dint get the Big cam,,
You do it right, itll stay together,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/08/14 at 03:51:44

Lancer is one of the pioneers in the real world application of the performance parts, and will be able to provide info.

Oldfeller has done the Stage 2 cam, and has a lot of miles on it....I am sure he will chime in and give you a report.

I did a Wiseco 95mm, carbide cylinder treatment, Stage 1 Cam, Mikuni 36mm, and some clean up of the ports, and I made my own muffler.  I have about 2,800 miles on the engine since this work was done.  I went with the smallest Wiseco and cam upgrade since I don't want a race bike....just one that runs really nice.  The engine is also a really big single, and what I really wanted was a compression upgrade rather than a larger engine.  Also the engine has breathing problems....and a larger piston will use up the available airflow a bit earlier and I really didn't want to limit the power at the higher rpm's.  Also a larger piston will make more torque and power down low....and put more strain on the clutch and drive components, and for the first engine mods I just went small.  So far I have not had any clutch slippage issues wth the stock discs and springs.  I used an oxygen sensor and meter to set up the jetting in my carb.

I am very happy with results.  The engine runs very nicely, has considerably more power than it did stock, I still get about 58 mpg, and it doesn't have any bad manners or burn any oil.  It idles fine, drives well in traffic, and makes all the power I need to get me smiling.

If you do go the Wiseco piston route......don't take chances and let the local machine shop do it for you.  You only get once chance to get the cylinder bore correct, and a couple of forum members have had the piston and cylinder fail from improper clearance.  Buy a kit from Lancer, or get a Wiseco and send it to Boretech and let them do the work.

We have a forum member that has put 100,000 miles on a stock engine and never had the head of the bike....he has done a few cam chains and other maintenance.  I don't expect I will ever have that many miles on my engine - but I don't believe I have built an engine that willl self destruct.  

« Last Edit: 04/09/14 at 07:23:48 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wolfsgrin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bentonville, AR
Reply #3 - 04/08/14 at 03:53:57

I can't vouch for the longevity as I'm currently doing all those mods and some. Deep breath, lets see stage 2 cam, Big bore kit 97mm piston with the silicone carbide treatment, 36mm mikuni carb with ufo, verslavy tensioner, port and polish the head, chain conversion 14/43, hardtail(quicker on take off) and probably have the weight down to 320lbs or less. Also putting a springer front end on but that more looks than performance. While I have the engine out I was toying with the notion of knife edging the crank Grin . Quicker revs that drop just as quick plus more weight gone only $600. I decided to put that money to better use. But I think that would be as far as you can go until someone invents some new gadget thingy. As far as longevity it's a frankenbike with a lot of performance "racing" mods. Racers have sponsor money to burn when an engine blows they can replace all the mods and engine. How deep are your pockets?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/08/14 at 06:51:03

wolfsgrin:

Good choice not doing any knife edging....this is not a 14,000 rpm bike and the benefits of knife edging a single cylinder low rpm bike would probably be negligable.  If you are looking to get rid of some inertia, the fllywheel is kinda heavy and might be able to have some weight reduction for not too much money.  You would be a pioneer in this.....it has been discussed but no one has done it yet.  You might give up some smoothness at low rpm if the flywheel is trimmed.

Hardtail.....springer.......sounds to me like your engine modificatons are going toward performance while your chassis mods are going the other way.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 04/09/14 at 06:04:42

I started engine mod's sometime around 2001/2002 when some road damage to the engine case caused massive oil loss, which led to piston seizure within a matter of seconds.  My insurance company happily covered the damage so as long as the engine need new part I thought I might as well get parts that enhance performance a bit instead of just stock parts.  This was when the original (what has come to be known as the Stage 1) performance camshaft was made by Webcam.  The cylinder was bored one size over and got the silicone carbide treatment by Boretech.   At the time I still had the stock CV carb, but I did re-jet to match the engine and the changed exhaust.  Later I removed the CV carb and tested several other types, including 36/38/40 Edelbrock Quicksilver, then 36/38 Amal, then 36/38 VM.  I have settle on the 36 VM as being the best suited, available and cost effective.
The LS engine responds very well to mild to moderate efficient enhancements.  The cam profiles used in the Stage 1,2 & 3 series are in the very low to middle of the midrange, which work very well with this easy turning single cylinder torquey engine.   The larger bore and higher compression piston is from the DR series '90-95 Suzuki engine which has been used on the street/dirt & racing for years.  The silicone carbide was developed for race engines and then made available for street engines... typical of tech advancements.  
I've enjoyed my Savage for well over 10 years now.  I have a stock S40 in the garage so I always have a stock engine on hand to remind me of what it feels like.  The difference between the stock and modified LS is significant; it is like riding a different animal.  
Keep in mind that the "90-95 DR650 engine is very close to the LS engine with the exception of the exhaust ports in the head and the camshaft, and it makes 46 hp in stock form.  

« Last Edit: 04/09/14 at 08:51:10 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:20:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need Real World Data on Cam/Big Bore Piston etc.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.