Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taking a turn in 2nd (Read 178 times)
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Taking a turn in 2nd
04/07/14 at 12:19:05

I guess we all know that the most common gear to be in when taking a turn is 2nd gear.. But have anyone experienced that with the stock gear ratio, it feels like 2nd is a bit too high when you accelerate out of the turn...? Like the belt is woppling a bit..? It's like 1st is too low, and 2nd is too high imo.. Maybe we have more narrow roads where I live? Or I need to have more speed as im going around the bend..?  Roll Eyes

Have anyone been aware of this? What is your oppinions?

This have made me alittle more interested in making a chain conversion, but I haven't decided yet..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Taking a turn in 2nd
Reply #1 - 04/07/14 at 12:41:44

speed up

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 04/07/14 at 13:58:53

I just slip the clutch a little.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 04/07/14 at 14:43:22

Yeah, I liked my old '87 4 speed better. I either need to slow down (first gear) or speed up (2nd gear) in the corners.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 04/07/14 at 17:37:39

These must be very tight corners, I will concede that our ratios don't suit lane splitting, but I hate lane splitting.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/07/14 at 22:33:32

I like changing gears.
I dislike even almost lugging an engine.
If I cant be rolling fast enough for it to accelerate easily, I feel Im in too low of a gear, A 90* left turn, I am in first.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 04/08/14 at 00:56:42

Never have used first gear. And I mean never. I notice when I take off from a stop that second gear keeps the revs way down without bogging down and I actually accelerate much quicker with a lower RPM than I can in first. I used to ride with Savage Greg and his wife with their savages and they would use first to take off and I  was always several bikes lengths ahead  of them with a lot less work from the engine. Works for me anyway. Never have had a clutch problem. I felt a lot more control in a curve in second than I do in first which is a bit too quirky for me.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 04/08/14 at 04:49:16

No issues taking turns in second for me.

"It's like 1st is too low" with the gearing on the ls650 I've never even considered down shifting into 1st  Huh

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/08/14 at 04:57:05

With practice, you can learn how negotiate a corner in second gear. Grin

Corner.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #9 - 04/08/14 at 06:27:21

That's what my Grandpa meant when he said,use your head. Tongue

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #10 - 04/08/14 at 06:52:39

When I first read this initial posting - I chuckled - at the content - thinking it was lacking in substance      However, with the responses its generating(more than most of mine)  -  maybe its me(and some of my postings) that are lacking in substance ?    it must be time for an attitude adjustment  -  let's see,  artificial or natural ?    Grin  Grin

IP Logged
kennemarv1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

daytona beach, fl
Reply #11 - 04/08/14 at 07:21:32

I have only logged 500 miles on my bike. Took the motorcycle course in February (hadn't been on a bike in 40 years). Always took turns in first in the beginning, but I have become more comfortable with my ride and now mostly in 2nd.

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #12 - 04/08/14 at 08:04:44

I have been negotiating with the clutch and 2nd gear alot  Grin  it just really anoys me when im in a gear which is too high and need to work the clutch alittle to get past that point.. The same when I shift down to a gear to low..  Tongue

But I think I'll buy some knee pads and practice my cornering with more speed  Grin

Doug B wrote on 04/08/14 at 06:52:39:
When I first read this initial posting - I chuckled - at the content - thinking it was lacking in substance      However, with the responses its generating(more than most of mine)  -  maybe its me(and some of my postings) that are lacking in substance ?    it must be time for an attitude adjustment  -  let's see,  artificial or natural ?    Grin  Grin  

uhmm...  Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 04/08/14 at 08:57:30

No knee pads needed. The pegs will be folded so severely youll hafta pull your foot  back or feel real pain with the foot pinched & ankle twisted long before a knee gets down. I finally had to wire the bottom of the rubber together on the right side, because it was ground down & split over 1/3rd of the way down,The chrome caps on the ends of the pegs WILL get floppy when the core gets ground down,, The bottoms of those end caps were ground off pretty bad.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #14 - 04/08/14 at 09:55:59

Michael L  -  I never before gave it any thought, but your thread brings up an inherent characteristic of our bikes.  Its low RPM chug-chug-chug-ahead "effect". When turning(or any time) with no throttle(or very little) at a low RPM these Savages want to lurch forward. It does make it more difficult to handle, and one momentary lapse in attention and/or going too fast can result in only a partial Rubber Side Down. I got a little too cute in the gravel driveway returning from my first ride of the year, and the bike went down. Not hard, but I couldn't quite keep it upright. That's why some of you may have seen my recent touch up paint and turn signal threads(virtually no other detectable damage).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:15:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Taking a turn in 2nd

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.