Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Moonshine Lunch Run.....Illinois (Read 125 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Moonshine Lunch Run.....Illinois
04/07/14 at 10:02:09

I just signed up for this ride happening this week on Saturday, Aprill 12th.  I have never seen this event mentioned on this page - but it is a big deal on the ST owners forum.  There will be over 1,000 bikes attend this event this year.  I thought it was farther away and the weather can be horrible on this weekend - but it turns out that  the temperare will be up in the 60's and it is a bit less than 600 miles round trip for me, and I have some local friends that invited me to go with them.  It will set my new record for riding in a single day.....270 miles, a burger...then 270 miles back.  We are taking the interstate roads out....then the back roads home.

http://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/Default.asp

You still have a couple days that you can register - but  can still attend if you don't, they just want you to register so they can keep track of those who will be attending the dinners.....and to get an idea how many hamburgers they need to stock up.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Moonshine Lunch Run.....Illinois
Reply #1 - 04/07/14 at 18:43:34

How is that ST treating you?  I like the looks of it.  A trip like like will be a bit long, but very smooth and enjoyable.  I have done a couple runs similar to that on my KLR.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 04/07/14 at 18:59:41

pg wrote on 04/07/14 at 18:43:34:
How is that ST treating you?  I like the looks of it.  A trip like like will be a bit long, but very smooth and enjoyable.  I have done a couple runs similar to that on my KLR.

Last summer I went 300 miles had lunch at the Flori-Bama then came back the same day.  It's a pretty cool bar right on the water, Perdido Key I think.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/08/14 at 04:12:55

The ST is a realy nice bike.....although it lacks the personality of the Savage.  I have owned about a dozen motorcycles over the years, and this is the first bike I have owned with more than 1 cylinder.  All my other bikes ran great up to about 60...maybe 70 on the Savage.....and they just felt like they were working to stay at that speed and they felt relieved when I hit the OFF RAMP and slowed down.  The ST is not even beginning to work at 60....and I have a hard time keeping it at that slow of a speed......70 and 80 are a piece of cake and it could do that for hours and hours.  It is heavy....and even worse top heavy.  On a couple of occasions I have put my foot down in the gravel driveway and felt my foot slide......and it is only a matter of time before I have my first Tip Over.  I am working on my trailer so I can haul it to Michigan in June to ride around the Traverse City area with my wife on our vacation.....and getting it up on a trailer with only a 12" deck height is really scary.

I think I am really going to enjoy putting some highway miles on the ST.  The boxes have a ton of space to store things.....something my Savage Cafe' doesn't have.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #4 - 04/08/14 at 09:23:22

A couple of guys from work rode to the Lesage, WV location of http://www.hillbillyhotdogs.com/ and back last May in the same day.  It wasn't too bad but the last hour was in a thunderstorm with hail!  Angry

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 04/08/14 at 09:41:48

Dave,  Your going to have to start wearing a backpack when riding the cafe'.... I do with the lil' 300 ninja, getting used to heading to the store or shopping chores .

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/08/14 at 10:01:24

old_rider.

Yep...works for me to when I need to make a run to the store for something small.  Last year I went by a second hand store and saw a backpack that has a single crossover strap, and it is easy to take on and off with my jacket on.  The motorcycle jacket is not really cut in a way that allows you to put your arms straight back....which is exactly what the normal 2 strap backpack requires to put on.

However....the Honda has a suitcase on each side, a big GIVI trunk on the rear, a storage space under the rear fender.....and a couple of small bins on each side of the fairing!  It has so many spaces I am apt to forget where I put stuff!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/08/14 at 10:12:30

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 04/08/14 at 09:23:22:
A couple of guys from work rode to the Lesage, WV location of http://www.hillbillyhotdogs.com/ and back last May in the same day.  It wasn't too bad but the last hour was in a thunderstorm with hail!  Angry

sjaskow:

I have eaten at a place called "Bob's Hot Dog" near Elkins, West Virginia that is very similar....but I did not make a dedicated trip for it.

I looked at the link you provided......but was too chicken to open the link to the 'Weenie Song" while I am here at work!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 04/08/14 at 13:33:26

Dave wrote on 04/08/14 at 04:12:55:

The ST is a realy nice bike.....although it lacks the personality of the Savage.  I have owned about a dozen motorcycles over the years, and this is the first bike I have owned with more than 1 cylinder.  All my other bikes ran great up to about 60...maybe 70 on the Savage.....and they just felt like they were working to stay at that speed and they felt relieved when I hit the OFF RAMP and slowed down.  The ST is not even beginning to work at 60....and I have a hard time keeping it at that slow of a speed......70 and 80 are a piece of cake and it could do that for hours and hours.  It is heavy....and even worse top heavy.  On a couple of occasions I have put my foot down in the gravel driveway and felt my foot slide......and it is only a matter of time before I have my first Tip Over.  I am working on my trailer so I can haul it to Michigan in June to ride around the Traverse City area with my wife on our vacation.....and getting it up on a trailer with only a 12" deck height is really scary.

I think I am really going to enjoy putting some highway miles on the ST.  The boxes have a ton of space to store things.....something my Savage Cafe' doesn't have.  

Thanks, I'm sure you will enjoy it.  I bet that riding position takes stress off the lower back as well which will make long rides that much more enjoyable.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 04/13/14 at 05:56:42

What a ride!  The day may have been cursed with some of the best weather the Moonshine Lunch Run has ever seen.  We met at the Thornton's gas station at 6:00 AM....kickstands up at 6:15!  The temperature varied as we went from hilltop to river valley with the high being 54 in the City and it dropped to 41 and pretty much stayed there after we passed the Great Miami River.  Our group started with a pair of Suzuki V-Strom bikes, a Ducati adventure tourer with an 8.5 gallon tank and my ST1100.....then a few exits out was a pair of Harley's waiting for us to pass to join us.  We made our first gas stop west of Indianapolis and at that point I realized although I was not cold.....I had gotten a bit chilly.  From this point on I lost the chill and stayed warm the rest of the day.  At 10:30 AM we arrived at the Hotel where the bikes are blessed and they sell T shirts and offer up breakfast rolls.  We then shed some layers and rode out to Moonshine as the temperature was already climbing up near 60.  We had to park about 1/8 mile from the intersection as the bikes were already lining the road that far away.  We went up and got our burgers with only 4-5 people in the line, then after eating them we got homemade pie and ice cream from the Amish family across the street from the store.  There was every form of bike lining the roads...we left around 12 and the bikes were pouring in faster than they could get parked.  The store is located at a 4 way intersection, and all 4 roads had bikes parked as far as you could see.

We rode the interstate highway on the way out, and on the way back we traveled on back roads and found some twisties in Brown County, Indiana.  I have a bit of learning to do......the ST1100 is 720 pounds of fun and although it does feel like it handles well, it is not as nimble as a Savage.  It feels like it likes high speed sweepers and is clumsy on the tight turns....which is exactly opposite of the Savage.  In total I road about 560 miles....and at the end my fanny was tired!  I did enjoy the trip, the hamburger, and a nice spring ride with friends!  I am not sure I am going to do this trip when it snows like it did the previous 2 years - but on a nice day......I'm there!

Dave  

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 04/13/14 at 06:36:19

Hi Dave

That looks as good or better than bike week was !   Say they have camping on the "Farm" ? (way to far for one day!).  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 04/13/14 at 08:02:25

MM:

You don't have to camp, you can just come and stay with Deb and I before heading to Moonshine.  I can't "warm up" to the idea of camping in would could be winter weather.  Go to the website and look at the photos from last year.....lots of bikes covered in snow!

The weather this time of year is not predictable.  The only issue we has was some pretty strong winds when out in the flatlands.  It was a bit weird  to be leaning over to the right while going straight...then making a transition to a left lean when making left turns.....never had to do that before.  A few times I had some wind gusts hit me that made my helmet try to spin my head up and around! Shocked   I don't really have a good helmet yet and I was wearing a dual sport helmet with a visor....the wind really likes to push on that visor.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #12 - 04/15/14 at 18:34:05

I don't think Dave took this route to get to the Amish store.  It's a 6 minute vid, but skip the first half unless you want to see some bikes goes through mud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5nsBbWHWTGw#t=0

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 04/16/14 at 03:27:43

No pgambr....I stayed on the pavement.  There were all kinds of bikes at the event.  Shiny show bikes, well ridden road bikes, and lots of adventure tourers and dual sports.  Mostly - this is an event for people that like to ride and not a show.  The great weather this year did bring out a lot more casual riders on Saturday.  I saw one Husqvarna 650 dual sport that was definitely an adventure bike.  It has all kinds of navigation gear and cameras, luggage racks, it has the original fuel tank that probably is 3 gallons or so, then it has a monstrous plastic tank that flanked both sides of the bike and held another 8 gallons!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #14 - 04/16/14 at 14:34:49

Yeah, I was browsing on another forum and came across that one.   It looked like a good time for all.  I bet they would have liked to see your cafe.   Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:24:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Moonshine Lunch Run.....Illinois

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.