Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike won't run off of choke (Read 91 times)
Jebus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike won't run off of choke
04/07/14 at 08:33:35

Hi all, It's come time to sell my wife's s40 until our 2 1/2 tricycle motor gets a little older.

Problem is, it's not running properly... assuming because of gas that has been in the tank for quite a while.

It starts just fine, even runs while on choke.  Take the chok off, or give it a little gas, and it bogs down, sputters, and dies.

I've put in fresh gas, and ran some Seafoam through it, but no joy.  What do I look at next?

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Bike won't run off of choke
Reply #1 - 04/07/14 at 08:58:14

Easy answer... pull the carb and clean it...

Hard answer... pull the carb and clean it...

Jets, slide, all passages, etc... get everything clean,.. or you'll be doing it again...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 04/07/14 at 09:04:53

It seems to me that the only way it is getting fuel is through the enrichment circuit (choke), which means your jets are gummed up. Seafoam is good stuff, but it has to be able to get to the clogs. You will probably have to partially dis-assemble the carb and properly clean the jets.
Sero beat me to it......

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Jebus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/07/14 at 10:46:14

Thanks guys.  Is there a write up or video floating around about the complete carb removal process?

From looking at the links in the TOC, it looks like the tank removal may be a bit of a pain.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 04/07/14 at 13:55:31

I've used Seafoam in the past on my car and have no complaints.  Oldfeller seems to not trust additives for this carb'd bike though.  Will the Seafoam hurt any rubber parts in the carburetor?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Wallaceburg Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 04/07/14 at 13:58:46

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 04/07/14 at 16:33:18

Use this
https://www.yamaha-motor.com/yamalube/categories/maintenance/21/shop-supply/3...
I wouldn't have believed how good it was til I tried it. Don't even need to take out all the rubber bits.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #7 - 04/07/14 at 16:44:25

Jebus wrote on 04/07/14 at 10:46:14:
Thanks guys.  Is there a write up or video floating around about the complete carb removal process?

From looking at the links in the TOC, it looks like the tank removal may be a bit of a pain.

It is with the stock petcock. If you have a Raptor it comes off pretty easily. I put a big towel doubled up where the seat goes, disconnect everything and the tank will pull back far enough and rest on that without falling off while you finish disconnecting the electrical link under the tank.

IP Logged
Jebus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/09/14 at 06:39:58

Thanks again everyone for the tips, and DodgeMan, that link was exactly what I was hoping for.

Have some time set aside tonight, beer, and a buddy coming over to start tearing into this thing!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:24:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike won't run off of choke

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.