Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Long ride today, and a bit disapointed (Read 378 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Long ride today, and a bit disapointed
Reply #15 - 04/01/14 at 15:38:40

oldNslow wrote on 04/01/14 at 11:05:08:
Art,
   I've never been on a RYCA so this is just my opinion based on what I've heard, and from looking at photos, but if you're not happy taking long rides on a stock(ish) savage, I gotta think you're gonna like long rides on a RYCA somewhat less. One of the smaller sport bikes might be a better option - Ninja 300, Honda CB500F or something similar.

That's why I didn't want to go full on RYCA, the Ninja 500 I had wasn't a full sportbike crouch, just a bit of a lean, enough to put some weight on your arms, and I rode that bike for literaly 3-4 hours at a stretch
the 'sport-touring' position (concours, Ninje 500 / 300, CBR500) is much more comfortable for long highway rides than the cruiser 'sit back'
this is coming from a guy who has had both
I would imagine a RYCA would be more like a full on sportbike (comfy at 100+ mph) than the riding posture I'm talking about

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #16 - 04/01/14 at 15:49:00

Quote:
I think the stock screen mounts to fork-mounted brackets?

Yes. It isn't quick detach either. You need tools if you want to take it off and ride without it. If that's important you'll probably want something else.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 04/01/14 at 15:53:31

I have the Cafe' (RYCA inspired) conversion on mine.  It does have the RYCA seat, peg mount, side panels, kick stand and a few other bits.  I am 5'-8" and it does make for a healthy forward lean with the clip ons.  I have a top yoke that I can install handlebars on someday when I get too old and want to sit a bit more upright.  It is a hard seat and your bottom does notice that after a while, and when you are headed down a steep grade with a stop sign at the bottom of the hill.....pretty much feels like you are doing a push up.  I can ride for half an hour without a sweat.  An hour and you are ready to take a break for a bit.  I think Oldfeller and I rode about 180 miles at the Dragon Run last year on one day....with some stretch and food breaks.  That doesn't sound like a long trip - but not all the roads are 60 mph down there.

It is not more comfy than the stock Savage - but I love to ride it and will tolerate the loss of creature comforts to enjoy the fun factor.

Maybe you could convert yours to more of a "standard" with some motocross type bars, a higher bench seat, and some rear set pegs.

Medium_001.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #18 - 04/01/14 at 16:12:23

that's sorta what I had in mind Dave, rearsets, a higher, flatter seat, and lower, but not clip on, bars
how would you go about this, just get the RYCA peices?
or will they sell them as sub assemblies?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 04/02/14 at 03:21:42

ART:

You can get the pieces from RYCA that you need.  The mounts for their rear set fits well and saves a lot of work.  I did not like their pegs as the toe portions stick out too far, and moving your toe above and below the shifter looked like it would require a lot of foot movement.

RYCA pegs:

I bought the Universal set from Dime City:

You might also prefer the RYCA Standard or Scrambler kit.  The seat doesn't look overly padded and cushy - but it will get you seated differently than the Cruiser style the bike currently is.  The Standard has a low pipe and the Scrambler has a high pipe.  The look also requires using an 18" rear wheel.  You could modify your bike to have their pegs, handlebars, and make your own seat....you do not have to move the battery and air cleaner and change everything to make the bike more comfortable for you to ride.
http://shop.rycamotors.com/ryca_cs2_kit.html

ryca-cs2s-scrambler-02.jpg

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #20 - 04/02/14 at 04:14:24

You could always have a local upholstery guy make a better seat, or just modify the RYCA one to be more comfy too   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 04/02/14 at 04:29:56

Art Webb wrote on 04/01/14 at 16:12:23:
that's sorta what I had in mind Dave, rearsets, a higher, flatter seat, and lower, but not clip on, bars
how would you go about this, just get the RYCA peices?
or will they sell them as sub assemblies?

Art, if you have an interest in RYCA's, I have some parts from a Cafe kit that I decided not to use.  They are the pieces for the rear sets, clip-ons, hardware pk, possibly a tank, maybe some others but this is what comes to mind.  Holler if interested.
I ordered the kit before I crashed; after recovering and back to riding I deciding I did not want the low front end; it was much less forgiving, so I went back to stock...same with foot controls; back to stock.  My body demands more comfort these days.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 04/03/14 at 00:00:03

I might be at that Lancer, take a look at what ya got and give me a shout
one question though, do they use basicaly the same rearsets on the standard and the cafe'?
actualy I might have a LOT of questions haha
I really think the standard would be the direction I would go if I ordered a kit (at nearly $3000, I think probably not)
but honestly after sitting on my friend's bike with a low mounted drag bar I might not need to do too much modding, i was surprised how far forward it leaned me

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #23 - 04/03/14 at 00:04:00

Dave wrote on 04/02/14 at 03:21:42:
ART:

You can get the pieces from RYCA that you need.  The mounts for their rear set fits well and saves a lot of work.  I did not like their pegs as the toe portions stick out too far, and moving your toe above and below the shifter looked like it would require a lot of foot movement.

RYCA pegs:

http://i61.tinypic.com/e8anfm.jpg

I bought the Universal set from Dime City:

http://i59.tinypic.com/160zos3.jpg

You might also prefer the RYCA Standard or Scrambler kit.  The seat doesn't look overly padded and cushy - but it will get you seated differently than the Cruiser style the bike currently is.  The Standard has a low pipe and the Scrambler has a high pipe.  The look also requires using an 18" rear wheel.  You could modify your bike to have their pegs, handlebars, and make your own seat....you do not have to move the battery and air cleaner and change everything to make the bike more comfortable for you to ride.
http://shop.rycamotors.com/ryca_cs2_kit.html

how much work is it getting those rearsets to work dave?
keeping the stock airbox  is a must, i want my bike to run correctly, the battery I wouldn't move unless neccessary because I'm lazy  Grin
I still need to look at their seat setup to see how they did it
the 18" wheel thing could be a problem (man I'd like cast wheels though lol

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 04/03/14 at 03:54:02

Art Webb wrote on 04/03/14 at 00:00:03:
I might be at that Lancer, take a look at what ya got and give me a shout
one question though, do they use basicaly the same rearsets on the standard and the cafe'?
actualy I might have a LOT of questions haha
I really think the standard would be the direction I would go if I ordered a kit (at nearly $3000, I think probably not)
but honestly after sitting on my friend's bike with a low mounted drag bar I might not need to do too much modding, i was surprised how far forward it leaned me

I will pull out the pieces and photo them for you and work up a price list, which will be significantly lower than "list price".  I have a front cast wheel, by the way.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 04/03/14 at 05:10:35

Art:

See what Lancer has....maybe he has everything you need.

The RYCA rearset bracket and pegs are the same for the Cafe' and standard bikes.  The shift linkage is easy to make....just a rod threaded on both ends.  The brake lever and brake light switch are a bit tougher to do well.  The RYCA stuff does not have a stop for the brake pedal built into it....and you need to make one if you want the brake pedal to work correctly.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #26 - 04/03/14 at 14:09:44

well that suck, I don't want to do a lot of modding realy, that's one reason I like to keep a bike as stock as I can, keeps things simple
maybe just get the sheild and look into lowering/moving forward the stock bars (or get different bars

lancer what sort of cast front wheel? would it be basicaly a bolt on?
is it the same size as the stocker?
one thing Harley has done right is move to cast wheels on mant of their bikes

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 04/03/14 at 18:22:29

Art Webb wrote on 04/03/14 at 14:09:44:
well that suck, I don't want to do a lot of modding realy, that's one reason I like to keep a bike as stock as I can, keeps things simple
maybe just get the sheild and look into lowering/moving forward the stock bars (or get different bars

lancer what sort of cast front wheel? would it be basicaly a bolt on?
is it the same size as the stocker?
one thing Harley has done right is move to cast wheels on mant of their bikes

The cast wheel is the same size as the stock Savage but is not just a bolt on; it is from an early model Suzuki GS 650 and the disc on it does not line up with the brake caliper on the stock LS forks, so either a swap to a GS front end is needed or a mod of the mount of the LS caliper to line up correctly with the disc.  I do have a GS front end if you are considering something like that.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #28 - 04/03/14 at 19:11:58

I think we're getting into the realm of 'more work than I want to do'  Grin
thanks for the offer though

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2