Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Install tips/opinions for cat eye brake light (Read 85 times)
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Install tips/opinions for cat eye brake light
03/31/14 at 14:56:16

I'm thinking about a few small things I want to do to the bike when I get back home.  One of them is to install the cat eye brake light under the read fender that I've seen a few of you do.  This is the one I've been looking at:  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cat-Eye-Plate-Brake-Taillight-For-Suzuki-Intruder-Vol...

It looks like a fairly easy install.  It even has 3 wires and an electrical connector, though I don't know if it's the same style as OEM.  I think it should all go like this:  Unbolt OEM light housing, unbolt OEM reflector/license light, disconnect wires, bolt cat eye to where the license light was, hook it up to the brake light connector, tuck the license light harness wires away somewhere neat, and cover the fender hole how I see fit.  To anyone who has experience with this light, my questions are:

Is it a direct plug into the wiring harness, or do I need to change the connectors?

Is there something better I can do with the harness leads for the license plate light?

Are there any issues with brightness/illumination?  Am I going to have to space it out or change the light bulb?

The whole reason I'm doing this is so that I can add a small bag behind my sissy bar and not have to worry about it covering my brake light.  Any ideas and opinions are appreciated!

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Re: Install tips/opinions for cat eye brake light
Reply #1 - 03/31/14 at 15:13:53

I used the stock brake/driving light bracket and moved it under the fender, mounted the cat-eye to bracket..

took a little shade-tree fabricating to get the bracket mounted under the fender but it looks factory

license plate is under cat's eye

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 03/31/14 at 15:16:47

All I had to do for mine was crimp the same type of connectors on and it bolted right up to the license plate bracket, really easy to install.  It's incandescent not LED and it is slightly brighter then the stock tail light.  

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 03/31/14 at 16:08:31

Toes, sounds easy enough!  I figure the only "hard" part would be making sure the connectors match up.  If it's not the same style one piece connector then I'll just do the same thing, crimp on some bullet connectors. I'm glad to hear that it is a bit brighter.

I can't wait to get home and do this!  Now I just have to figure out what I want to do with the hole.  Yes, I've already read the recent thread giving ideas to cover it.  I have plenty of time to figure that part out...

EDIT:  Has anybody thought about using that hole to mount a support strut for a heavier luggage rack...? Smiley

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 03/31/14 at 19:18:56

I used one of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-Way-Sealed-Splash-Proof-Mate-N-Lok-Electrical-Wi...

To connect up a tail light and number plate lights. Is great. The whole harness just unplugs to get the back mudguard off. If you had indicators, you could use the 9 pin version.
Too easy.

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #5 - 03/31/14 at 20:09:24

in addition to moving the stock bracket, I removed the lamp socket and soldered about a dozen red LED's (under the red lens)... looks awesome

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:15:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Install tips/opinions for cat eye brake light

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.